Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Tuff 1985 Donruss?

Just bought a beautiful 1985 Donruss set. Besides Clemens and Puckett, who else do I send in? Are there any tough 10's that I can check for?

Thanks.
Wondo

Comments

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Lots of stars and hall of famers will do well on 10's. Schmidt, Ryan, Rose, Mattingly come to mind off hand as good bets. As far as tough 10's its up in the air, I dont think enough have been graded yet to determine which ones would be difficult.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Check either the pop report, or the sets in the registry. I collect this set, but can't tell you what's tough. If you look at the pops, there are some low pop cards. I think it's because there hasn't been too many sent in yet (not like the 84s). There might not be much of a market for them, other than the stars either. Not a whole lot of sets getting updated, and I believe the #1 set is dead, the guy was pulling out (atleast trying to sell his set)

I get murdered on these, so be very careful. On 84s I get atleast 2 or 3 tens for every ten cards submitted, maybe one 8, the rest 9s. The 85's I would be lucky to get a 10, about 6 or 7 9s, the rest 8s, and sometimes sevens pop up. 85s can bite hard, be ready to get blasted in the nuts.

Despite having about a few factory sets, a rack case, and half a dozen raw sets I'm done submitting 85 donruss for now.
    Always buying 1984 Ralston Purina PSA 9s and 10s I NEED 19,21, and 29!!!
  • Options
    Some of these cards have some high populations in 10, considering the amount of cards submitted. 14584 submitted, with 1121 coming back a 10. Schmidt has a pop of 33 in 10, Rose 28, Clemens 112, Mattingly 22, Puckett 56...you can bargain shop on Ebay for 9's of lesser stars in the 3-7 range...with that said, if you can pull a 10 on Clemens, Puckett, Seaver, etc. etc., you have a card there that will get bids on Ebay. There are also a lot of cards with low total populations that have never gotten a 10.

This looks like one of those sets that is just waiting to be discovered.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    I am the guy with the #1 set...this set is great and I truely love it...but at the same time is a frustrating set to put together because the lack of interest from fellow collectors...The lack of interest results in few non-stars listed on EBAY...this means you have to submit yourself which I have had poor results using rack packs...I currently have a decent lot at EBAY from a factory set so we will see how that turns out...

I have no clue why this set is ignored by collectors...

As far as tough cards, I agree with what other people have said....there has not been enough submitted to determine this...
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, all. As I was removing the Clemens from the mylar inside of toploader, I dinged it ever so slighly on the tape covering the top. image

I AM AN IDIOT!!!

The Puckett isn't centered perfectly, so that's not goin' in either.

I'm gonna go cry now.image
    Wondo

• Options
    not to fret.....

like alot of modern sets....you can make more $$$$ grading the commons and smaller stars...and keep the stars out.

Like the 84 D set that I broke...the Mattingly, Rose..Ryan and most stars were a tad OC..or dinged corners. I had paid $80 for a factory set...
    I sat down and carefully went through it....in the end...I pulled 14 9's and 8 10's....that more than paid for itself.
    I had also sold the Mattingly at a show for $25...and flipped the partial set (w/stars) for another $25....

Ya just gotta dig alittle to make it.....
  • Options
    ColleSystemColleSystem Posts: 512 ✭✭
    Be carefull with your submission if this is a factory set. Under magnification, factory sets suffer from the dreaded "Cello rounded corner syndrome". I sent in a 85 factory donruss clemens that was an absolute stunner, I surgically removed it from the factory cello brick and put it in a card saver imediately, the corners were nice and black. However, it came back as a 7. Under magnification the corners, although not dinged, are not sharp but rounded.

-Scott
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Options
    85 Donruss is a vicious circle. Not much Registry activity because of lack of graded product. Commons not getting graded because there is little Registry demand. Now add the black borders, centering issues, rough cuts and chipping issues and this set is just a migraine waiting to happen.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭
    I know there is at least one person who would pay good money for a Dale Murphy 10. It's a Pop 0 today.

I'm a big fan of this set too. Nice looking cards, in my opinion.

Derek
  • Options
    Andrew, there is interest in the set, but I think only you and me. And for me it's one of 3 or 4 major sets I'm working on. The 1984 donruss and fleer update will get done long before the 85s. The only reason I started this set was my psa10 puckett I got on my very first submission. Clemens came back a 7 with the dreaded rounded corners, even though it looks just as nice as the puckett to the naked eye. The Clemens has always kick me around. I've submitted 4, all looked very nice, never higher than an 8.

JT cards was offering graded stuff last year, I bought a large lot of them along with a lot of 84s.

I'd never send in extras of these, unless stars. I just don't think I'd get rid of them and be able to cover the grading fees. I only send in what I need for my set.
    Always buying 1984 Ralston Purina PSA 9s and 10s I NEED 19,21, and 29!!!
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I was working on the set for a very brief period last year but gave up due to lack of supply. I didnt have the time or patience to start buying, opening and submitting huge amounts myself. When I went to sell the lot I had I never got more than $5 each for PSA 10 commons. I was sick to my stomach with those prices, and as much as I love the set will never pursue again. I have a very very nice raw set in an album and that will have to do for me.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra