Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1909 Canadian five cent silver

I picked this up today. I paid $10 for it.

Was it an OK buy or did I screw up???

Comments

• You got a great deal. The coin is the scarcer holly leaves variety. The coin is at least VF20 which trends $65 CAD. Nice pick up. image
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You got a great deal. The coin is the scarcer holly leaves variety. The coin is at least VF20 which trends $65 CAD. Nice pick up. image >>

Seconded! Nice pick.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • LuvdawgsLuvdawgs Posts: 1,512
    Way to go, Ken!image

• Well, I stopped in at the old coin shop that is under new management and the new owner showed me a couple of older Canadian silver and told me to just make an offer if I liked anything.

I didn't have any idea as to the value of this coin and liked the look of it, so I offered $10. He said sold!
  • Even in Canada, I got some great Canadian coins at very low price from local dealers. I just feel so wonderful when that happens.

• << <i>Even in Canada, I got some great Canadian coins at very low price from local dealers. I just feel so wonderful when that happens. >>

I wish there were more dealers around here that carried Canadian coins.
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin! The three parallel scratches on the portrait may bring the next grade under VF, though.

On second thought, buying foreign coins undermines the US Mint and its workers. Buy domestic coins or we'll all perish! image
    Obscurum per obscurius

• << <i>Nice coin! The three parallel scratches on the portrait may bring the next grade under VF, though.

On second thought, buying foreign coins undermines the US Mint and its workers. Buy domestic coins or we'll all perish! image >>

[img]http://www.xtremepccentral.com/forums/images/smilies/bitemebaby.gif[/img