Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My favorite Dark Side coins...

... are the Spanish silver dollars that land in my area of focus - colonial coins (slugs of dirt) - specifically the last quarter of the 18th century with a "Founding of America" theme. My favorite one is a 1776 Spanish dollar. So, I guess technically, I'm a grey side collector since part of my collection must be foreign coins to keep my comprehensive approach.

It's been a few years since I've been to these boards in particular. That's due to me still being partially in the closet about my appreciation for foreign coins. Years of people saying "You are better off collecting U.S. stamps then foreign coins" or "Why would you want foreign crap" or "don't be retarded - collect the best (U.S.)." I think the one that kept me in the closet the longest were my parents telling me that I wouldn't amount to anything in life if I "kept that up." Slipping Canadian pennies into bank rolls for deposit was about the worst thing you could do in my neighborhood. One neighbor even accused me of being "gay" because I had some foreign coins. I even got beat up once at school when a few bullies found out from my Mother who went to them to rat me out hoping they could "straighten my ass out." If God wanted foreign coins to be popular, he would have made other Countries wind up being the Super-Power my Daddy used to say right before he beat me with the U.S. Coin Grading book.

Not getting the love I need from family, friends, and the freaks over at the U.S. Coin and Open Forums, I've come here, where I think I am safer, in the Shadows of the Dark Side.

- FF

p.s. Just jokin' around (was serious about the Spanish Dollars though) - is Askari still here!?
24HourForums.com - load images, create albums, place ads, talk coins, enjoy the community.

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Askari hasn't been around for awhile image. As for greyside, around here that means Canadian imageimageimage.

Cathy

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>... are the Spanish silver dollars that land in my area of focus - colonial coins (slugs of dirt) - specifically the last quarter of the 18th century with a "Founding of America" theme. My favorite one is a 1776 Spanish dollar. So, I guess technically, I'm a grey side collector since part of my collection must be foreign coins to keep my comprehensive approach.

It's been a few years since I've been to these boards in particular. That's due to me still being partially in the closet about my appreciation for foreign coins. Years of people saying "You are better off collecting U.S. stamps then foreign coins" or "Why would you want foreign crap" or "don't be retarded - collect the best (U.S.)." I think the one that kept me in the closet the longest were my parents telling me that I wouldn't amount to anything in life if I "kept that up." Slipping Canadian pennies into bank rolls for deposit was about the worst thing you could do in my neighborhood. One neighbor even accused me of being "gay" because I had some foreign coins. I even got beat up once at school when a few bullies found out from my Mother who went to them to rat me out hoping they could "straighten my ass out." If God wanted foreign coins to be popular, he would have made other Countries wind up being the Super-Power my Daddy used to say right before he beat me with the U.S. Coin Grading book.

Not getting the love I need from family, friends, and the freaks over at the U.S. Coin and Open Forums, I've come here, where I think I am safer, in the Shadows of the Dark Side.

- FF

p.s. Just jokin' around (was serious about the Spanish Dollars though) - is Askari still here!? >>

Where did the name "darkside " come from to express foreign coins?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Askari.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mexico and colonial Spain are great! I love the coins from Charles and Johanna to brand new Onzas. As a primarily Mexico collector, though, I am not too fond of the fact that U.S. collectors consider pillar dollars a part of U.S. colonial coinage, because they drive up the price. But that's a purely selfish reason, because I don't own one yet image

2Kopeiki

• Options
    Stork, are there really people who consistently refer to Canadian coins as the Grey Side?
    24HourForums.com - load images, create albums, place ads, talk coins, enjoy the community.
  • Options
    TwoKopeiki, look at it this way. Those coins cost more but for a great reason - they have more importance, historically. They had a more important role and the details and differences are therefore more meaningful to more people. Isn't that better than costing more because of Pop reports, slab ID, hype or marketing?

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkside coins are often far cooler than US coins and that goes double for the
    20th century coins. Almost all US coins made since the 1840's were set aside by
    collectors and the earlier ones often survived because they were used as backing
    for currency. While the designs have usually been very American they are not al-
    ways especially attractive. Certainly US coins have a lot going for them but many
    darkside coins do as well. Better, many world coins have been totally ignored by
    collectors here and in their own country. The coins did what they were designed to
    do; circulate. They circulated randomly from one person to another for decades and
    were then melted for their metal.

Designs are often foreign but many are extremely well done and technical quality
    surpasses US coinage in many instances (especially in modern coins). Because de-
    mand is so aenemic prices can be laughably low. Some of the rarest sets in the world
    list for a total of a few dollars yet none of the coins is available.

These coins often aren't well studied and spectacular doubled dies and varieties can
    be found at no premium. No matter what use a coin has served there is probably a
    darkside coin to manifest it. This hardly applies to US coins.

There's no need to apologize for finding some world coins to be neat. I wonder more
    about people who can't find some merit in any world coins. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Linkage, I hope

<< <i>Stork, are there really people who consistently refer to Canadian coins as the Grey Side? >>

It's not as a common a phrase around here, but it does get used alot. I vote for calling exonumia/tokens/etc the farside, but apparently I'm alone in this imageimageimage.

Cathy

well, that didn't work. All I did was type 'grey' into the search box at the top of the forum page. Here's one thread: real link

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Greetings FF! Nice to see you and your demented self over here!! Welcome home; we can be your support group and make it easier for you to come out.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Stork, yeah, far side seems more fitting. I think dark side was used to expressed how so many felt it was a "no no" or "undesirable."

Cladking - that's part of why I like the colonial coinage. Lots of design variety and mega significance, low-cost rarities, and lots of stories to be found in the details due to the nature of the beast at that time.
  • Options
    I love the story behind the coin more than the grade. Ever since i was able to match my first oriental chopmark on 1796 8 Reales to an actual merchant image I am just venting, because of something I can't have right now.

• Options
    I hear you. I love those chopmarks too. One of my BIGGEST joys is matching up oddities in the coins I have with real events. Counterstamps are a blatant example of that, but there are a wide range of others within the colonial coin world.
  • Options
    In that case you'll understand why I picked this one to be the favorite in my collection image

• Options
    Collecting liteside is no challenge. You just need lots of money and the latest gray sheet.

But if you collect darkside, you need to learn about the coins and their history. You need the patience to track down the tough stuff more than you need money.

Not everyone thinks the pinnacle of numismatics is a 3-legged buffalo nickel. Darkside collectors are the numismatic elite.
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    TwoKopeiki - while I didn't know the coin I instantly RELATED, for reasons previously explained.

Lynch, I don't know about that - at least for some case. I feel as though I am under intense research, education, and investigation digging into colonials. But, you are probably speaking in very general terms and on that level, I totally agree!
  • Options

<< <i>Lynch, I don't know about that - at least for some case. I feel as though I am under intense research, education, and investigation digging into colonials. But, you are probably speaking in very general terms and on that level, I totally agree! >>

Pardon me for my sloppy self-expression.image

While I suppose colonials are (strictly speaking) liteside, they're not at all like collecting Morgans where all you need to be able to read is a slab label and a gray sheet. If you're going to do colonials, you need to read books and learn some history.

If there is a "darkside" to domestic numismatics, colonials are it. I did not mean to lump them in with that group and regret any impression I may have created to the contrary.image
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, FF. Welcome to the Dark. image

Speaking of Spanish colonials, the year 1776, and "slugs of dirt", I once had the privilege of digging one out of the dirt. It's a half-reale piece- only 1/16 of a Spanish dollar, but I was tickled to find it. It was my very first 18th century coin found while detecting.

imageimage

The coin is holed, though that isn't visible in the icon pics above.

The next day on the same site, I found another one- a fairly decent 1787!

There is really nothing Darkside about Spanish Colonial silver (and gold). It is, as you know, the money of our founding fathers.

As to slipping a few Canadian cents into rolls I'm depositing, well... I plead the Fifth. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Mines the infamous 1799 Austrian Silver Thaler!

Just love the design!!

TKC!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    Hey Lordmarcovan ol bud. Thanks for the tale. I've done some metal detecting before. I love stories like yours because it immediately makes me fantasize about being a treasure hunter! I secretly still want to be one...