Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Latino coin collectors; what are they collecting?

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
As Latinos are one of the fastest growing segments of the population, I'm curious; are they collecting coins at all in any real numbers? If so, are they collecting US coins or coins from South America/Mexico?
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're collecting coins, bills, notes, bullion and anything that can be used as money. Once they collect it then send it back to their families in Mexico to spend it.
  • Options
    Well Cladiator... I guess that is correct for some of the illegal aliens... As for me, I am collecting proof and SMS coins.
    Please download this app to help fight cancer at 0 cost. At no extra cost to you purchases from Amazon and other participating retailers will benefit research!

http://my.affinity.is/cancer-research?referral_code=MjI4Nzgz
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They're collecting coins, bills, notes, bullion and anything that can be used as money. Once they collect it then send it back to their families in Mexico to spend it. >>

Man, you keep saying chit like that and I'm going to cut chew!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    There's plenty of Latinos out there that have never been to Mexico in their life-- I just wonder if coin collecting is still very much a white male hobby or if Latinos are also collecting.

Believe me, I have opinions about illegal immigration, but that's not what the post it about..
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, getting back to coins, Ponterio is going to be auctioning in 3 parts a MAJOR collection of 8 reales from Mexico, beginning at the Long Beach show in September.image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this forum image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of hispanic collectors and it's nearly as prevalent in this population
    as the overall population. The hispanics I know are collecting the same things ot-
    ther collectors are but there's a little greater tendency to collect the coins from home
    and this seems especially true among Puerto Ricans. In fact, all four PR collectors
    I know collect the PR coins or the hacienda tokens.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ManMan Posts: 1,002
    I'm in NYC and the collectors that I know are hispanic collect coins from there families countries and silver.

Puerto Ricans want the few Puerto Rican coins that were made legally and there are dozens of pro-independennce coins made illegally throughtout Puerto Ricos history, I know little about them so I can never help them.

Domincans I know collect US bills and Dominacan coins they are many varities beccause they don't have the best mints.

As for Latinos(South America/Mexico) I don't know any who collect.
  • Options
    Thanks Man!

• Options

ILLEGALS
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're collecting coins, bills, notes, bullion and anything that can be used as money. Once they collect it then send it back to their families in Mexico to spend it.

To whatever extent that is true, it's something to be proud of.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    alfalfaalfalfa Posts: 275 ✭✭
    "They are collecting mainly taco shells, while they are ruining our way of life!
    I would like to see them collecting in Mexico, after they are forcibly marched out of the country."

Racist @ s s

RJ
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are collecting mainly taco shells, while they are ruining our way of life!

Classy, man. Classy...

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>They are collecting mainly taco shells, while they are ruining our way of life!
    I would like to see them collecting in Mexico, after they are forcibly marched out of the country. >>

Aren't you pleasant. Some Hispanic guy outsnipe you on eBay or something?

While I am hardly a fan of the current administration, I don't think they deserve to have their bumpersticker aligned with such garbage.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    sethbsethb Posts: 27 ✭✭

<< <i>They are collecting mainly taco shells, while they are ruining our way of life!
    I would like to see them collecting in Mexico, after they are forcibly marched out of the country. >>

Could you please change your author icon? You're an embarassment to the rest of us.

And fyi, all Latinos are not from Mexico. Please try to demonstrate less ignorance in future posts.

• Options
    callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Aren't you pleasant. Some Hispanic guy outsnipe you on eBay or something?

While I am hardly a fan of the current administration, I don't think they deserve to have their bumpersticker aligned with such garbage. >>

I, however, am a fan of the current adminstration and it's idiots like you (Djord) that make everybody think the Republican party is full of a bunch of ingrate racist that you appear to be! image Wouldn't surprise me if you're a Democrat pretending to be a Republican, but then again, you're probably not even smart enough to do that. image No offense to any Democrats.

Back to the topic, I know of several who collect both U.S. and Hispanic coins.
  • Options
    "Latinos" are no more monolithic than "Asians". What they collect depends on the individual. Do Mexicans collect different things than Chileans, Costa Ricans or Cubans? Do 1st gen immigrants collect different things than people born and raised here?

I'm ethnically half German, 1/3 English, and a pinch of Irish, French and Italian. I don't spend proportionate amounts of resources collecting coins from those countries.

Hmm... come to think of it, what a cool idea! Note to self: Start a family tree collection with coins from the time and place of my immigrant ancestors.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

So since the question was asked about Latinos, and not illegal aliens, you want all Latinos marched
    out of the country? Hitler would be proud.

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    First Name: Peter
    Last Name: Djordjevich
    Nickname: Djord
    City: Cleveland
    Province/State: Ohio
    Message Posts: 236
    Last Visited On: June 26th, 2006 7:12 PM

I mean if your going to be and idiot then don't have a public proflie. Lets see if the internet has anything else to say about you.

Isn't Djordevich a Russian, do you think us Americans can think of stereotypes for you.
  • Options
    I may be wrong, but I believe the name is Serbo-Croatian.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I mean if your going to be and idiot then don't have a public proflie. Lets see if the internet has anything else to say about you. >>

www.zabasearch.com only has one spelled that way in Ohio - Got to love big brother.

Xphobe - I like your idea - the Family tree coin collection - my biggest problem is I have a prominent 1/2, a prominent 1/4, then a boat load of 1/32's - that would be an interesting customized Dansco image
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options

You knew exactly what I was implying, (ILLEGALS), so if you want to be a child about it thats fine!
  • Options

Back to the topic, I know of several who collect both U.S. and Hispanic coins. >>

Typical response and not to bright either! These are illegals and (lawbreakers) like it or not, and should leave the country.
    You knew exactly what I meant,but if you do not agree with the liberal slant your a racist!
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As Latinos are one of the fastest growing segments of the population, I'm curious; are they collecting coins at all in any real numbers? If so, are they collecting US coins or coins from South America/Mexico? >>

From my personal observations Latinos, Hispanics and Chicanos collect every variety possible in numismatics as they are no different from any other ethnicity of American residents. Check out some of the coin shows such as the Long Beach, Santa Clara and San Jose shows, and you'll see Latinos sufficiently represented on the bourse floor. There are also numerous Latino dealers as well.

Although I can see collecting numismatics from your country of ancestry as a strong possibility, it is also wrong to assume that people will primarily collect coins from their ancestrial homeland. Ask me about American coinage and chances are I'll be able to help you, but if you ask me details about Chinese coinage, and chances are I'll be completely lost without hope.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>You knew exactly what I was implying, (ILLEGALS), so if you want to be a child about it thats fine! >>

For most of my life I've seen many (ILLEGALS) 60% were Russians the rest were Carribean and only 1% have been Mexican mostly in the last 5 years.

• Options
    Anyway... Hey! Here's a Latino Coin! About as lightside as I could find. This coin has itself collected more chops than Dizzy Gillespie.

imageimage

Please, folks! Post some more Latino Coins! Please!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You knew exactly what I was implying, (ILLEGALS), so if you want to be a child about it thats fine! >>

For most of my life I've seen many (ILLEGALS) 60% were Russians the rest were Carribean and only 1% have been Mexican mostly in the last 5 years. >>

Maybe you should try and at least get your nationalties correct .

Europeans can and do wait anywhere from 10-20 years to enter this country legally!
    Granted a few come in illegally!
    Current estimates put about twenty million illegal Mexicans in this country!
  • Options
    I actually like the orignal question. I would expand it to ask if new Americans collect from there home countries or from the U.S.

Puerto Ricans are slightly different because they are all U.S. citizens by birth yet they are a commonwealth and have to use US money.
    I've seen some of their fanatasy/illegal money and it is very nice looking.

<< <i>Maybe you should try and at least get your nationalties correct . >>

I said what I SEE which is Coney Island in Brooklyn and the change over the years. I go to college for engineering and half of my friends are Russians with student visas that when they expire they have no plans on going back home.
  • Options

<< <i>I may be wrong, but I believe the name is Serbo-Croatian. >>

Your are wrong, since Serbo-Croation historically does not exist, it is only
    referenced that way in this country!
    Two distinct cultures with two distinct religions and two distinct alphabets.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    they are collecting gem proof morgans and also cc coinage

and pre 1915 proof ms and circ usa federal coinage

also colonials and proof gold

also early really early usa coins pre 1835 and pre 1807 and pre 1800

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I actually like the orignal question. I would expand it to ask if new Americans collect from there home countries or from the U.S.

Puerto Ricans are slightly different because they are all U.S. citizens by birth yet they are a commonwealth and have to use US money.
    I've seen some of their fanatasy/illegal money and it is very nice looking. >>

I was born in Taiwan, and I am a citizen of America. Of the numismatics I personally collect I favor items that pertain to the early years of America such as colonial coinage, colonial currency and Spanish Pillar Dollars. I am also partial to items that have well known references, such as ancients coins depicting Julius Caesar, etc. I do not allow my personal views on politics and world events interfere with what I collect.

Back to the original question, my observations tell me that many Latino collectors favor gold and silver coinage over coins of other media.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>

Two distinct cultures with two distinct religions and two distinct alphabets. >>

I knew that when I wrote it, but that it was probably one or the other. (Croatian?) Figured someone would chime in.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    I seen a very cheap version of this coin shown to me by a Puerto Rican friends thinking it was an offical coin, this coin was proposed by Daniel Carr but it was obviously some one who saw his image online and made some ugly copies.

• Options

While I am hardly a fan of the current administration, I don't think they deserve to have their bumpersticker aligned with such garbage. >>

I, however, am a fan of the current adminstration and it's idiots like you (Djord) that make everybody think the Republican party is full of a bunch of ingrate racist that you appear to be! image Wouldn't surprise me if you're a Democrat pretending to be a Republican, but then again, you're probably not even smart enough to do that. image No offense to any Democrats.

Back to the topic, I know of several who collect both U.S. and Hispanic coins. >>

Quite honestly for one to resort to personal attacks I believe reflects on you.
    Enough said!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Two distinct cultures with two distinct religions and two distinct alphabets. >>

I knew that when I wrote it, but that it was probably one or the other. (Croatian?) Figured someone would chime in. >>

Why do you want to know so that you can hammer me too?
  • Options
    Man says

<< <i>I mean if your going to be and idiot then... >>

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭

<< <i>

Isn't Djordevich a Russian... >>

Sounds mexican to me. And Djordieboy, if you're going to go back and edit/delete your posts, at least bother to spell correctly.
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    Djord said

<< <i>Quite honestly for one to resort to personal attacks I believe reflects on you.
    Enough said! >>

Amusing to watch the bigots get defensive.
  • Options
    About the "Family Tree Idea", I'm half Danish on my father's side. My great grandfather was born in 1865 and came to America in 1881. I have collected DANMARK coins for important years of his life. I also bought a Danish coin of my own birth year. My mother's Family Tree goes all the way back to the Mayflower so it's "Heinz 57 variety". However, I collected a PR70DCAM statehood quarter for each state where my ancestors lived and as they immigrated WEST. It has actually been quite fun.

I was raised in Southern California and we had next-door neighbors who were of Mexican origin. They collected Mexican Pesos and everytime they took a family trip to see cousins, they came back with a bunch of new coins for us kids to look at. We thought it was very cool to see foreign coinage.

My grandfather spent most of his adult life as a missionary in South and Central America. He left a stash of coins from most every country, Chile, Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, Argentina, Panama, Costa Rica. My mother is still alive and still has his stash. Once she said she thought my brother (the only boy in the family) should get grandpa's coins. But I'm the only coin collector so I'm hoping she changes her mind and leaves them to me.image
    image Scottish Fold Gold
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501

To whatever extent that is true, it's something to be proud of.

Scope my handle out and you might get a clue as to where I might stand. I'm just going to take a wild guess here, they collect what they want. I do.

I know of no nationality that ought claim to be superior, or intolerant of others. jws

I do not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. Attributed to Voltaire.
  • Options
    Foodstamps! image

(I'm kidding, don't lynch me.)
    - -

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
  • Options
    Maybe---Pesos
  • Options

<<Latino coin collectors; what are they collecting?>>

U.S. coins.......

and white womenzz.image

Manuel
    Monday April 10, 2006 9:04 AM

SM1 calls me a troublemaker....image

--------------------------------------------
    Sunday August 19, 2007 9:17AM

A mentor awarded " YOU SUCK!!"
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<Latino coin collectors; what are they collecting?>>

U.S. coins.......

and white womenzz.image

Manuel >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

U.S. coins.......

and white womenzz.image

>>

Darkside is fun, too, even if they aren't clad
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

Monday April 10, 2006 9:04 AM

SM1 calls me a troublemaker....image

--------------------------------------------
    Sunday August 19, 2007 9:17AM

A mentor awarded " YOU SUCK!!"
  • Options

<< <i>Back to the topic, I know of several who collect both U.S. and Hispanic coins

Typical response and not to bright either! These are illegals and (lawbreakers) like it or not, and should leave the country. You knew exactly what I meant,but if you do not agree with the liberal slant your a racist! >>

Ponder the word "illegal." In other words, if there weren't some arbitrary law saying certain people can't be here, then it wouldn't be "illegal" at all. There are a lot of unnecessary laws that do nothing but cause people trouble and give other people a way to bully them around.

EVERYBODY in this country is descended from immigrants, even "native Americans." Defining who can be here based on anything to me is pure foolishness.

As for making some guess based on ethnicity as to what anyone collects, that's bizarre, to say the least.
  • Options
    Mexicans are not Latino's---Sammy Sosa
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i> They're collecting coins, bills, notes, bullion and anything that can be used as money. Once they collect it then send it back to their families in Mexico to spend it.

To whatever extent that is true, it's something to be proud of. >>

It is very true and much is wired back to Mexico by Western Union, in fact Hispanics sending money from the US back to relatives in Mexico
    accounts for something like $1 billion on an annual basis to the bottom line for Western Union. Hispanics are one of their best customers.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is very true and much is wired back to Mexico by Western Union, in fact Hispanics sending money from the US back to relatives in Mexico
    accounts for something like $1 billion on an annual basis to the bottom line for Western Union. Hispanics are one of their best customers. >>

This is exactly why Vicente Fox is so opposed to immigration reform in the United States. Illegal workers send a LOT of money into Mexico, and Fox would hate to see that stop.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file