Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question regarding 1939 Aussie Half Penny..

I've run across a slab i forgot about, I got it in a mix i bought awhile back. It's a 1939 1/2 penny from Australia slabbed by ANACS as *Genuine* Corroded, look's like it might have been a impaired proof with a small amount of pvc poisioning? what's the deal? Are they supposed to be scarace? Just kind of curious why the expense of slabbing a corroded coin? I tried to scan it but the detail's aren't showing up due to the way it is set in the slab.image

TIA, Ozzysdad....image

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1939 1/2d is a scarcer date with a mintage of only 500,000. A much more expensive coin in Proof >$1500. and a mintage of only 100.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Thank's Don.... The coin isn't that bad, Brown with small verdigris on the obv. I just didn't understand their logic and reasoning? But, I do now. Geezzz........ this forum has certainly gotten slow lately. Or maybe it's just me?

Thank's again, Ozzysdad........image
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much wear is on the coin. An Unc 1939 1/2d goes for a fair price.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Don, The way the coin is slabbed make's it nearly impossible to get a clear scan, As for wear, there really isn't any, Just the green gunk coming out of George the Sixth's temple.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mintage of 100? image

That sucker needs a trip to NCS.

(Even if it ain't a proof.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LordM, It's good to see you are back amongst the forum...... Yes, if it's anything with that low of a mintage, NCS would be a thought....??? Guess i should consider it soon........ I've got a 1953 G.B. Proof set, 10 coin's in a very well kept original red case that could use a little attention as well. The coin's have a thin film that i would like removed.

Thank's, ozzysdad.....image