Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

The Official 33-34 Goudey Baseball Threads

Anyone know why there are virtually no Goudey threads? Maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

Let's make this the official thread!

Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set

Comments

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Nice article in the latest SMR this month about the 33's.

• The new article in SMR is very nice. I wish I had some of those cards. Mike Murray's set is amazing. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford something like that.
    -Ryan
  • The 1933 Goudey set is a sheer pleasure to collect. I think prices have leveled off and you can put together a really nice PSA 5 set for 60 percent of what it would've cost a few years back. It appears the mid-graders have stayed true and are now looking for PSA 6s and PSA 7s. Ultimately, you have to deal with the Lajoie issue. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say to buy the card early on. Find it oustide a major auction and cough up the dough. It's one of the greatest cards of all-time and you won't lose a dime on it. Also, pick up any Ruths in PSA 5 or better now if you can get them for under four thousand. There will be a new wave of Goudey collectors and prices will jump again. Fill in the HOFers, but try not to go below PSA 5 for resale considerations. Once you've amassed your core, see what kind of deal you can make on commons. There are a surfeit for most no-namers. They sell for under book and they're 73 years old. Also, look for the best eye appeal in your designated grade even if it costs a bit more.

I spent a lot of time on the set and it was always my favorite. Be patient and pounce when you get a no reserve auction. Major dealers' buy it now prices are out of kilter. The 239/240 card set is large enough to gain a real sense of achievement without being too bulky.

The commons you should beware of are:

Critz #3 - Not as rare as once thought
    Pipgras
    Bengough in anything above PSA 4
    Andy Cohen
    Tommy Thevenow
    Ed Brandt
    George Blaeholder - Not as tough as the others
    And the other low numbers below 53 Ruth yellow.

You have to decide whether you care if there's bleeding to the back of the card. I don't think it effects grading unless it's major, but some guys really don't like it. Centering wil always be an issue. Don't buy raw unless you really know the dealer. PSA is very careful with bell curve on this set.

Last, even if it takes a few years, you'll have a real keepsake. Along with t-206 and 1952 Topps, this set will always be in demand and you'll join a circle of tough, but cool collectors. Trading is also possible on the Set Registry, but it's competitive so don't be sensitive if you get some snubs.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Best,

JLC
    Secretary of the Albacore Club

"I have one word for you, Ben... Spastics. Got it? Good. Enough said."
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Here's a cool site:

Goudey Gum

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

I think the '36 set is grossly underrated. And the '41 set rivals the MP & P's as fugliest set of all time!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• great web site on Goudey's. Thanks!
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
    JLC

sounds like you know your stuff. also sounds like you own a lajoie.

care to share a pic if indeed you do?

I'd enjoy seeing it.
  • JLC...great advice. Thanks! I just bought 14 34 Goudeys....all PSA 8s. Had to choose the set I could afford since I am working on 52 Topps as well.
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Since there is no real official Goudey Thread. Lets make this the thread. There is one thread that is very old. We'll post pictures and talk about recent purchases? I'll have some pictures up this weekend. I'd like to see some of the '34 (8's) that you have. I'm a '33 collector, but Goudey is Goudey.
    -Ryan
  • Goose,

Unfortunately, this is a case of lending advice after going about it backwards. I never purchased the Lajoie. I finished the set without it and I've regretted it. I had so many chances over the years, but I always thought I'd pick one up at the end. Unfortunately, the price tripled during the period and I couldn't pull the trigger after the huge gain. Thus, I really believe it's the first card to pick up. The other cards all come up for sale. They're not cheap, but there's not the same type of limited supply.

A good thing for all serious collectors to remember is the top, top cards are centerpieces on their own whether or not you pursue the set. They're expensive, but there's a slim chance of not seeing the card go up in price. The demand always outweighs the supply.

The cards I speak of are all well-known -

1916 Sporting News Ruth
    1933 Delong Gehrig
    1933/34 Goudey Lajoie
    1952 Topps Mantle
    1952 Topps Mathews
    1948 Leaf Paige
    1954 Wilson Williams
    1959 Morrell Koufax (If you can find one)
    1968 3-D Clemente

Obviously, there are other important cards including the Honus Wagner which I left off because I don't want to list 100,000 plus cards. However, through many years of collecting, the above cards have a certain magic that makes them special. If I started collecting today knowing what I've learned over many years, I'd simply go after that short list of cards and put them away. I went off in a thousand directions. I did do a few thing right, but the hobby really is built on the cards above.

But, I'll never regret collecting the Goudey set. It's a set many years ahead of its time and the HOFers make it the bible for baseball post-tobacco card days. I never identified with the Cap Ansons and Willie Keelers. The Goudey era represented a transformation into the game we know today. Of course, this is all my personal take and there are no wrong ways to build a collection. However, it never hurts to hear from someone who has traveled a path you might embark on.

Best,

JLC

• JLC.....I started collecting about a year ago. I made mistakes but I never regretted it because I had fun. I was trying to do too much and make up for lost time. At one time I had 54, 55, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 Topps, added 52 Topps and spent about every waking minute on EBAY. It was crazy. Recently, after reading many threads and listening to experts like you, I decided to focus on 34 Goudey, 52 Topps, 71 Topps (mostly because I am close to 100% PSA 8.04) and added one more set...75 Topps Mini. I recently sold the 70, 72, 55, 73 and 74 sets. I have often thought about what you said....getting the key cards like the 52 Mantle. Matthews etc. I know you are right. However, I love building sets, looking at the cards, scanning them, and watching my set reg ranking. It is just a lot of fun. I am not sure how long I will keep these sets but one thing I know, I will not sell the 52 Topps or 34 Goudey's.

Anyway, I'll post some scans when I receive the cards. I bought them all from one dealer, one being a Gerald Walker PSA 8....pop 9.

Great stuff, JLC. Thanks!
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Craveking,

Like I said, there's no right way to go about it. The whole purpose is to enjoy yourself. You've selected great sets to go after. I once started on the 1952 Topps set, but it nearly killed me about half way through. That set stands up against any set.

The 1934 Goudey set is a really good choice. It's underrated and undervalued. Plus, it won't take half your lifetime to finish and you can build a decent set rating PSA 7 or above without eating at the Salvation Army soup kitchen. The 1934 Greenberg, Foxx and separate Gehrig poses make it awesome. The #37 Gehrig is still the best card aesthetically speaking of the great man.

1971 is torture, but I'm sure you know what you're getting into with the black backgrounds and chipping. I think this might be tougher than many sets in the 50's.

In general, all collectors should have a fall-back set because cards will dry up from time to time so it's nice to move your concentration on another beloved set. All this takes money, but you would be surprised how much you can save by really doing your research and staying on top of dealer inventories. Most dealers will help you build a set and put aside cards for you if they happen upon them. The 1933 Goudey set is no different. There is no substitute for knowledge in this hobby. Those who do their homework are rewarded most frequently. Like craveking said, his hours were spent searching ebay. Ebay is a free market and, hence, a good indicator of true prices. I took a look at recent 1933 Goudey sales and saw a mixed bag of opportunities. Anytime you see Mickeysclubhouse - Mickey's cards win auctions, you know there are values to be had. A dealer will put a purchased Ebay card on his/her website for double what he/she paid. However, there are still some serious big boys buying cards. HOFers can get out of control and you must set a maximum price ahead of time unless you're too rich to care.

Also, if you snag a card you feel is borderline, don't forget you can send it in for review. However, crack it out and save the slab and paper printout in case the card comes back in a lower slab. There are bumps to be had depending on which grader you pull. However, I truly think PSA invisibly marks all cards of value with an invisible ink unseen by the visible eye so so they can reslab in the same holder. I don't want to sound like a 'grassy knoll nut', but i've had cards that should be PSA 7 come back in the same PSA 5 holder.

Finally, break the 1933 set down in 8 thirty card batches. I think five to seven years is a fair estimate on the time from inception to completion of this set. Knock down a batch or two a year. You'll get interim feelings of reward when you finish a segment instead of laboring through 240 cards.

Last, I don't want to sound like a know it all so this is not written in stone. There might be other successful strategies I missed because I'm no genius and everyone from my family to strangers in the street remind me of it every single day. Also, I'm not the ultimate maven on this issue. There are collectors with ten times my acumen. I don't know if they post, but I'd sure like to hear their strategies. What's nice about a mid-grade Goudey set is it not a vulgar display of wealth. It represents patience, networking and guts. PSA 8s are going to be out of 99.9% of people's leagues. Buying a PSA 8 common doesnt do much for your set value. You want to set a baseline and maximize the grades on your HOFers.

This is getting long so I'll let you all go. However, don't be afraid to drop me a question. I'm more than happy to help out someone building the 1933 Goudey set. People helped me during my collecting days and I think it's only fair I give the same courtesy back.

Best to all of you,

JLC

• JLC, again, thanks for the tremendous advice. I read a lot of posts but this ranks among the very best in terms of displaying a true understanding of this hobby.

I am going to put all my energy into 34 Goudey and 52 Topps. I am fortunate to have the resources but on the other hand, I think your advice is that I am better served by having patience.

Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

Since this is now the official thread-

A couple of '34 Albums

And a wrapper

• Griffins: Great wrapper and albums. I cannot get over the condition of the wrapper. Do you know if Goudey made albums for the '33 set? In addition, do you know how many wrapper variations there are for the '33 set?

Thanks

David
    JLC or anyone....

I'd be curious to know what any Lajoie cards have sold for recently..........if any have sold recently....

Goose- a PSA 1 and a PSA 2 sold in the last month. I'll try and dig up which auction house had them.
    David- for some reason I think there are 6 '33 wrappers, but I could be wrong. Mine is in average condition, it just benefits from good lighting image
    A few more wrappers-

'33 Sport Kings

'33 Goudey Baseball

'35 Goudey

'36 Goudey

A '38 Goudey from the last Mastro, not mine. It sold for 1017. plus the juice. There are 2 different ones in this set

And '41 Goudey

David- They didn't make albums for the '33 set. In '34 they did, as well as a Knot Hole League membership card (I'll try and scan mine) and a knot hole league patch. There was also a mail in for 4 premiums- Ruth, the world champion NY Giants, and the '33 AL and NL all star teams.

now call me crazy.......

if I were to ever do such a set as the '33's..... which I am tempted to do.......

at some point I'd HAVE to have the lajoie card. I would not be able to even start any set unless I knew I'd be able to complete it.
    Goose- Know what you mean. I agree with JLC 100%.
    I passed on a PSA 4 Lajoie 2 years ago- the price was really good and the seller was going to send it to me and I'd pay him 1K a month for 12 months. I passed because I didn't want to owe him money. Dumb, dumb move. A very similar card in the same condition sold for 24K plus the buyers premium last year. It's pretty much out of my reach now in any condition.

• This is officially my favorite thread. JLC I think you have made some very intelligent comments. I only have one concern about buying the "big star" cards. It is pretty obvious to all of us that if we bought a card like the Lajoie and only the Lajoie it would be putting all of our eggs in one basket. If somebody turns up with another Lajoie or 2, it could strongly effect the value of the card. On top of this, it really won't be collecting as much as simply investing. I agree with nearly every point you made, you need to stay focused and not move in too many directions, but you also should mix up your collection a little. The idea of putting together a 34 ,52, and 71 set sounds like a very fun and challanging idea to me. I've been strickly on the '33 set, but I'm thinking about adding the '57 to my collection. I may try the '54 just because it is a much smaller set. I'm new around here so I'm always willing to listen to ideas. If anybody is willing to work with me on some PSA 5's for my '33 set or some quality 5's that would grade in the 4-6 range. Let me know.

-Ryan
    -Ryan
    I think another 10 Lajoie 2's could turn up and not effect the value. Too much of a blue chip, the market will certainly absorb any that are offered, but there certainly won't be a find of them.

• I think you are probably right. I'm just trying to put my set together without the Lajoie first more as a collector. I'm trying to find some justification to not buying the card now and selling my car rather than waiting a few years and having to sell my car and my family.
    -Ryan
    If you're going to buy the set and foresee selling it off in a few years I'd probably pass on the Lajoie. If you're building it as part of a collection that you're going to keep for many years then I"m sure you'll end up getting one. But I'd wait for the right oppurtunity to pick one up- I missed my window and have regretted it since. The ones since then haven't been right, and to get one just to get it would seem a bit rash.

• I don't think it is necessary to own the Lajoie if you are a 1933 Goudey collector. Remember, it is a freak card. It wasn't even produced until probably July of 1934 or even later. Some collectors consider their set complete without the card. I have no problems admiring a complete 239/240 set. With that said - I do think it is a great card due to its mystique and history. Plus, if you are going to collect the 1934 set as well, then it makes perfect sense.

I'd post some scans if it wasn't such a headache to do so on this board.

I have scans in my 1933 Goudey PSA 5 set and my 1934 Goudey set in the PSA Registry

Also, don't forget the 1933 World Wide Gum set and the 1934 World Wide Gum set. These are the Canadian versions. Very underrated, but for the most part, the front image is the same as the American version.
  • Griffins - great scans of those wrappers.

How long will it take before one of the major grading companies decide to grade wrappers?
    Global already does.
    If you don't consider Lajoie part of the '33 set, do you include #106 Durocher as part of the set?

• great stuff, Griffins. I just picked up a few more Goudey's today and I am wondering what makes people pay 10 to 20 times SMR for say a 1971 Topps Pop 20 when you can pick up a 34 Goudey for 2X SMR with a pop of 10? Seems like something is way out of whack here but definitely seems to support JLCs thinking about the 34 Goudeys being undervalued.
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• << <i> If you don't consider Lajoie part of the '33 set, do you include #106 Durocher as part of the set? >>

The #106 Durocher is an even freakier card than the Lajoie.

I'm not saying I don't consider Lajoie in the set, but I can see the rationale behind those that don't think it should be in the set. Obviously, price has something to do with it too...if the Lajoie was only a $500 card, everyone would probably get it to complete their set. But overall, I have no problem in a collector excluding it from his set and thinking it complete without it.
  • Just so the group knows, Griffins and Cmoking are two very accomplished card collectors. They've each amassed at least one 1933 Goudey set and I think Cmoking has done it twice via upgrades. These are guys that are excellent role models to follow and their strategies are extremely valuable. Griffins has one of the most interesting regional set collections along with the more mainstream. Guys like Griffins and Cmoking are the real experts to look to for info. The top four (Fogel, Louchios, Merkel and Branca) put together their sets with deep pockets. The middle guys involved a great deal more strategy instead of holding up a paddle or dropping mid six figures at a Mastro auction. Also, the rich guys have better stories than advice. It's a very closed club at the top and it's also very competitive. Personally, I don't care if you pass me on the registry or make some great finds - I'll be happy for you. We're sharing the same hobby. The guys at the top are never thrilled to see another eight water down their populations. They're catered to at PSA and you will never know that treatment. That's fine. It just toughens the challenge. NOTE: I haven't seen Mike Murray's article, but I will take some time to get his thoughts. I hear he's a good guy.

As for continued advice, 50% of building a major set is starting with the right approach. I learned the hard way, but there were some very intelligent collectors who helped me and saved me thousands of dollars and a large amount of time. There's some luck involved too and it runs in both directions so don't get discouraged.

Griffins' Lajoie situation is something every collector faces at one time or another. You're talking about a boatload of money for a single card. It's not easy to pull the trigger. I passed on a similarly priced Lajoie a few years ago and it still smarts. You're going to see 90% of Lajoies selling through auction houses. There are no bargains with Mastro and REA. They usually hit record prices auction after auction. Plus, you have to pay the buyer's fee which is a hefty sum. However, I'd rather have the Lajoie tucked away in any grade as opposed to 150 commons which will always be available. It is somewhat investment directed, but when you put your set away you'll want it to be complete. During the years it takes to make your set, you're going to see the Lajoie go up and up. I'm not Nostradamus, but I don't think the card will ever drop in value. Hence, the card you can now buy for 20K will be 40K when you try to make it the cherry on top of your sundae.

If this card is just too much money, then forget it and get on with building the set. There's no shame in that. Most of us don't have the cash to drop on a Lajoie. You can still end up with a real keepsake by completing the set with 239 cards. Four Ruths, two Gehrigs, two Foxxes, two Hubbells, two Hornsbys, Dizzy Dean, Moe Berg, Hack Wilson, Lefty Grove and Lefty Gomez, Big and Little Poison plus the Bengough and the low pops are a large enough headaches.

The last thing I want to mention is upgrading within the same grade. Inevitably, some cards will not look as good in person as they do in their scans. These will bother you if you focus on centering, corners or registration. You'll want your set to look uniform. One area that isn't spoken about is upgrading from a weak PSA 6 to a strong PSA 6. You can avoid this issue by following a few simple rules. Learn who PSA's favored sons are. Their cards are sitting in a slab one grade above what they should be. Many early cards from the Baker days starting with "0" can vary widely. Check these cards well and make sure you can send them back if they do not meet your standard. Last, remember that anything you send in that gets a PSA 6 is really a dealer PSA 7. Your strongest examples will be raw cards you come up with. You will be annoyed. You will kick the dog. You have to come to accept it or you can't be part of the hobby.

This topic is Verboden on these message boards, but I'm not here to criticize it or rant and rave. It's part of the game. Try and establish some relationship with a known PSA representative and they will review cards. Don't send a thousand cards. Pick a few at a time once of twice a year and include supporting examples from your other cards. With PSA you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. They are extremely strong right now. GAI and SGC cards do not cross. Thus, they've gone to total large submitter tactics - You submit big and advertise big, you get big grades. SGC is still okay for early tobacco and Pre-War stuff, but you are forced to buy PSA if you want to keep your dollars protected. There are slimebags cutting, dicing, slicing, ginzu-ing cards without a second thought. You need the PSA stamp of approval to make your commodity stand up.

More later...

JLC

JLC- you had me nodding in agreement until the last 2 paragraphs. I don't see that dealers get any different grades (at least on any card that isn't shiny) but I do see the same card getting a different grade depending on who grades it. That is why so many (and especially dealers) are playing the crack and resubmit game for bumps.
    BTW, were you the one looking for a Hires Test Mays a while back? If so shoot me a pm.

Here is the Knot Hole League membership card kids mailed in wrappers for in 1934:

And the registration card from the US copyright office, when the '33 set was registered:

VERY cool stuff there!

let's see a Lajoie!!
  • pretty interesting stuff.......look at the high bid

Link
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

Brand new bidder and he toasts Scott Ireland right off the bat. Going to be a tough pace to keep up.

• Gives you a good idea what it costs to upgrade a set at the top.
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

I think I"ll stick with my 5's and 6's and 7's!

• I'd bet that Ireland already has the Boken in a PSA 9. The pop is 4, so it is not unlikely. If he didn't have this card, he would have bid 5 figures for it.
  • I think a Boken PSA 9 sold in a recent Mastro auction for $10,400. At that level, it would have been too cheap for Ireland to not pick it up ... that is if he didn't already have one.

On another note - what are the chances that the winner of that auction - with only a feedback of 4, and no cards in his past purcahses - is not a legit buyer, but instead a shill bidder. I wonder if the winner is actually the owner of the card who consigned it to mm4cards and bid on it. If he knew about the previous 10K sale in the Mastro auction, he'd be tempted to bid 5K thinking someone would surely go higher....or that he didn't want to sell it at a 50% discount to the previous price.
  • good question cmoking. A feedback of 4 hardly suggests a serious collector or someone following the auction marketplace. Keep an eye out for this card soon on ebay. image
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Excellent thread. I'm not a collector of the '33 or '34 set but do have Ruth, Gehrig and a few others between the two issues. I like that there is some thought these are underrated and, of course, the Lajoie card adds some intrigue. JLC, is there enough new info/recent sales data/ etc about these sets that you or someone else with some degree of expertise would be able to write an article on the set(s) for SportsCollectorsDaily.com? It doesn't necessarily have to be exceptionally long but I'd like to start including some original content with regard to vintage cards and this would seem like a pretty good possibility.
    Ripken-
    You should pm Tom Papa (GoSoxBoSox). He's got several high grade '34 Goudey sets, along with companion pieces, and has written a few articles for SMR.
    Chris Stufflestreet is also an excellent writer with a deep knowledge of the hobby, especially the behind the scenes info with Goudey, Delong, Bowman, etc.

• RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Griffins,

Thanks..yes I'm already in contact with Chris about some projects..just trying to find as many willing and able soldiers as I can.

Rich