Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

what is the thickest card size PSA will grade?

I want to grade some new material, but I am unsure of the size limit on thickness of cards that PSA will grade.
any help?
Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher

Comments

• Options
    I have asked this question several times. The only reply that I got that was even remotely helpful was "about 3 normal card thickness". Obviously this is guess work. I have several memorabilia cards that are very thick: Game worn helmet, super bowl ball cards that are almost 3/8" to 1/4" thick. I would love to have these graded for the Marino registry but I have never been able to get an "Exact" measurement. I emailed customer service months ago with some measurements, but I never got a response.

Good Luck

Jack
    Looking for 1971 Topps Football PSA 8 NQ or above, and slowly working my way into the 1962 Topps Football Set. Check out my 1972 Topps Football Set 100% Complete.
  • Options
    I once got this reply from customer sevice "We try to see if we can squeeze the card into the holder"image
    With that said, I would not send in any card thicker than 3 to 4 regular cards thickness.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Life would be so much easier if everyone was an anal engineer image. I use a digital caliper to measure the thickness of game used cards, and then use the appropriate holder. I'm certainly not going to use "try jamming the card into a holder" as my criterion, and PSA shouldn't either.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    If possible, check out the thickness of a 1970 Topps Super - pretty thick cards. PSA grades those.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I would think the thickest card to be graded would be thumb thort of thtupid GPK card (jutht my humble opinion)
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    FWIW, I've had Auto cards returned as too thick which measured approximately 2mm thick or 1/16". Its making it difficult to work on my HOF Auto set because most of the manufacturer issued auto cards these days are too thick to be slabbed. Unless you submit the ones that just have the auto sticker applied.
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I thought you could get away with up to 50pt. I know the bowman sterling baseball is right around that 50pt mark and those get holdered. Leaf Limited and SP Authentic (auto/patches) are too thick, ultimate collection base which is like 30 pt is fine.

Don't know if that helps you or not. I think if you take about 4 pre-1995 cards in a stack and your card isn't any thicker, you'll be in good shape.
  • Options
    i was once told 3 to 4 times the thickness of a regular topps card is ok.
  • Options
    I appreciate everybody's help on this. I would think PSA could list the maximun thickness of cards they grade simply as a service to it's customers.
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭

<< <i>I appreciate everybody's help on this. I would think PSA could list the maximun thickness of cards they grade simply as a service to it's customers. >>

You'd think PSA would do a lot of easy things to better serve their customers, like giving size ranges for "oversize" and "supersize" cards, but alas they don't. Your best bet is to call the customer service line 10 or so times and go with the average of the many different responses you will receive.
  • Options
    when they start doing packs, i wonder if that will change anything
  • Options
    I emailed customer service and this is the reply I received:

Thank you for contacting customer service. The thickness must not exceed
    three regular cards put together. If you have any further questions
    please contact customer service at (800)325-1121 or via email.

Thank you,

Terri Gilbert
    Customer Service
    Collectors Universe, Inc.

I guess that answers my question
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Try to look and see if the card you want graded has been graded before. Though this isnt any fool proof either.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I appreciate everybody's help on this. I would think PSA could list the maximun thickness of cards they grade simply as a service to it's customers. >>

You'd think PSA would do a lot of easy things to better serve their customers, like giving size ranges for "oversize" and "supersize" cards, but alas they don't. Your best bet is to call the customer service line 10 or so times and go with the average of the many different responses you will receive. >>

lol...you made my day w/ your post. Hystericaly...but sadly true...
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    No one here tries "to sqeeze the card in the holder". I tend to believe that this is paraphrasing what you were told by customer service for effect.

An average of 3 regular cards is a guide. The truth is some of the borderline cards are case by case. Even with multiples of the same card, some patches (or whatever) are thicker than others. If you are submitting at shows there are times where the card is obviously too thick and we can tell you no at that time but there are others that are so borderline that we will not be able to tell for sure until the sealer has the card in hand.

I know that there is talk of new holders that will be able to accommodate the thicker cards but I do not have dates on when it will be available.

Carol
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I understand that some of the patches could vary from card to card. However, I submitted two 2004 Playoff Prime Signature Proof cards, that were returned not holdered, no holder available. Yet there are other cards that have been graded that are just like these in the pop report. there are no patches just stickers with the autos. All of the cards from this set should be the same thickness.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Anyone in customer service should be able to give you the approximate demensions of a holder. If they can't you need to get the rep's name and ask to speak to a supervisor or senior rep. If you don't want to do that, PM me what happened and I will pass it along. I can't stress enough to all of you who have complaints that you need to get the person's name, without it, additional training or correction is impossible. When calling in to customer service, the rep should be stating their name when they answer, if not, ask for it.

This is for reference only. Please keep in mind that there can be exceptions when we go to holder the card. Just because it falls into the size range the card could possibly not be holdered because it may be too thick, too thin, or too close to the edge of the holder. Our staff will make the final determination when dealing with the card at that time.

Approximate demensions are:

STANDARD HOLDER SIZE
    (MAX. SIZE) 2 11/16 x 3 13/16

TALLBOY HOLDER SIZE
    (MAX. SIZE) 3 ½ x 5 1/6

TICKET HOLDER SIZE
    (MAX. SIZE) 3 5/8 x 7 ½

CHECK HOLDER SIZE
    (MAX. SIZE) 4.37 x 10

T3 HOLDER SIZE - For T-3 and Perez Steele Only
    (MAX. SIZE) 5 ¾ x 8

• Options

<< <i>I understand that some of the patches could vary from card to card. However, I submitted two 2004 Playoff Prime Signature Proof cards, that were returned not holdered, no holder available. Yet there are other cards that have been graded that are just like these in the pop report. there are no patches just stickers with the autos. All of the cards from this set should be the same thickness. >>

This is where case by case comes in. I know it's frustrating but we'd rather feel comfortable that it will fit properly rather than take a chance and risk damage.

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Carol:

Just a final note that you are great! You have been doing wonderful service for both PSA and for interested collectors like myself for a long time now. Thank you for your guidance

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I'm here if you guys need anything but PM me as I don't always get to all the threads and please have patience, sometimes my travel schedule is pretty lengthy.

Carol
  • Options
    Carol,
    Thank you for your help and if you can find out any info on new holders for the thick cards, please let us know.

As a company looking to make a profit, PSA needs new areas of revenue. Since most manufactuers today are producing cards that are thicker it is in PSA best interest to make a holder to fit varying sized cards before the competitors do.
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    Carol, thanks for the clarification!