Home Metal Detecting
Options

Silver, Button, and...

Found my very first San Fran mint silver this afternoon, a '41-S Merc. Also found a button and a pin or button with the eagle on it. I have no clue what it is. The round button if authentic could be on uniforms that were worn by Hessian soldiers fought during the war of 1812? I wonder if any forum member has more information on these things.

Thanks for checking.

Comments

• Options
    the round button looks like a modern one. i've dug several just like it and i'm nowhere near any 1812 battle sites.

i guess S mint coins must be hard to find in eastern states. we dig them here in CA all the time.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SPES= hope
    NOSTRA= our
    ES= is
    DEVS = God

"Our Hope Is God", or "God Is Our Hope"- something like that.

That motto may have appeared on old Hessian uniform buttons at one time (among others), but it has appeared on modern ones, as well. Yours is definitely modern.

WTG- congrats on the Merc. image

The shield-shaped pin thingie looks older. Obviously some sort of Navy acoutrement, but I dunno how old it is. I would imagine it has the potential to be the best of the three finds. From the style of it, I would guess it to be mid-to-late 19th century (or the very early 1900s at the latest). It does not look to be of War of 1812 vintage, but I suppose the Civil War is not out of the question. Of course I know nothing about such things and am just randomly musing. All I have are button books, which do not cover other militaria.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys, for the comments.

LM, special thank for the translation. I do like the shield-shaped pin best as well although I have no clue what it is. Please post if you have additional info on the Navy pin.
  • Options
    Nice work!

Looks like 3 good entries in the award catagories!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage