Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What's the best way to grade Kelloggs 3-D baseball cards?

I am considering sending in some Kelloggs baseball cards - thing is, I am having trouble determining how to grade them. Therefore, I don't know what grade to anticipate. They don't have any of those 'cracks' that are sometimes seen (I think that was from cold weather). I looked at the corners on the back and they appear really nice - it's hard to insect the corners on the front of the cards. There isn't any chipping or nicking on the sides. Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Options
    Just try to find cards that look like this one:

In all seriousness, loupe them just like any other cards and make sure that centering is good.
    View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I've got a whole set of the '73s and they look beautiful. Not sure if I want to chance sending them in because the 9s really don't get much these days. But, if I pull a few 10s, it might be worth it.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    Thanks Dave, I've got some of those also - but not for submission - besides I think those are 2-D - how they got called 2-D, I'll never know. I am considering sending the 15 card All Time Greats set - 2 Babe Ruth's, Gehrig, Wagner, Hornsby, Speaker, Cobb. I think there is a similar set by a pretzel company (Gold Pretzels?). This would be a nice set to own in high-grade. I think there are 2 or 3 Gem Mint 10 sets. I wouldn't mind adding mine to the list.
  • Options
    As one who has submitted a ton of Kellogg's cards, and gotten a lot of high grades, here is my proven technique:

1. Start with centering and color. Set aside any moderately off center or non-white border cards. A quick scan at arms length will guide you to culling down your initial pile to a smaller group. Do NOT worry about inevitable card curl.

2. Of the remaining group, scan each cards' front surface in angled light to check for any small cracks, scratches, rubs, or other marks. Flip the cards over to observe for a clean back.

3. Next, scan the remainder from near for those pesky small cracks you may have overlooked in step 2. Also, check each corner front and back for small dings, which only occur very rarely.

4. Once a card passes steps 1-3, it is ready for submission. Perform one final exam on each card prior to inserting it in a soft sleeve and Card Saver I.

I would recommend setting your pile of cards in their Card Saver I's aside for a few days to knock down some of the aforementioned curl, then do one last view of centering and border whiteness just to solidify in your mind how sweet these beauties look. Once you get that great feeling, pack 'em up and send 'em in.

THAT'S IT!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Dave, I've got some of those also - but not for submission - besides I think those are 2-D - how they got called 2-D, I'll never know. I am considering sending the 15 card All Time Greats set - 2 Babe Ruth's, Gehrig, Wagner, Hornsby, Speaker, Cobb. I think there is a similar set by a pretzel company (Gold Pretzels?). This would be a nice set to own in high-grade. I think there are 2 or 3 Gem Mint 10 sets. I wouldn't mind adding mine to the list. >>

Yes, there are 2 versions - the 1970 Rold Gold and 1972 Kellogg's All Time Greats sets. They are identical except for the copyright date on the reverse. The latter is rarer both in raw and hig grade. I own one of the 2 Kellogg's 10.00 sets (mine was first) and sold off a 9.80 Rold Gold set. You'll love either set.

BTW - What other Kellogg's material do you plan to submit??
  • Options
    I like to send the cards in a Corn Flake box. It makes them seem like they're pristine and it feeds the PSA graders. Just don't put them in with Fruit Loops because you never know who you will offend.

Best,

JLC
    Secretary of the Albacore Club

"I have one word for you, Ben... Spastics. Got it? Good. Enough said."
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    Thanks Bear, very thorough and insightful!! As a kid, I would collect the box tops and mail off for the sets. About 3 weeks after sending them, I can remember running home from school to check the mail - only to find disapponitment for the next 3 weeks until they finally arrived. I still have them, some have cracked, all have curled - but for the most part, they are in very nice shape. I have the complete sets from 1975 through 1981. I know they are not incredibly valuable, but I like them all the same. I managed to find some single cards from 1970/71 that I may submit also. Somehow, I also have the set from 1972 - must have bought that when I got the ATG 15 card set. Anyway, some of these will be out by Friday when their special ends. I think I will have submitted close to 500 cards during this 2 month $5.00 special. Thanks again for the great insight and help!!!
  • Options
    Another 3D card grading trick is to wrap clear cello box packing tape around your fingers with the sticky part facing outward. Pat down the card so that all of the dust and plastic "scraps" are pulled from the ridges of the card.

That trick clears the appearance of the card up very nicely because 3D cards tend to be covered in plastic flakes with they are cut.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"