Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I retired my 1972 Topps Football Set :(

#4 Current and #8 All-Time. Tough day but I had to do it because I sold off 20+ of my 9's to the guy in front of me in the set. I still need two cards but I wanted to retire it as high as I could. Here is my description on the registry.

Collection Name: Troy and Taylor's 1972 Topps Football
Set Type: 1972 Topps
Set Description: I started collecting this set in December 2004. 50% April 2005. 60% July 2005. 70% Sept 2005. 80% October 2005. 90% December 2005. 95% March 2006. 25% of this set was personally graded from RAW cards bought at shows or from packs. I has been tough spending $$$ on a pack and getting nothing but a PSA 8 common out of it. I got the one and only Dave Williams PSA 10 July 2005). Got it out of a pack I bought for $65. Sold it for 20 cards I needed for the set. I am sure it will end up in MOSH's set (It did Sept 2005). I never plan on making it into the top 5 all-time unless I win the lottery. Special thanks to Carlos (we all know Carlos) #1 all-time in my mind. Remobolan - Mint State - Cameo Cards - Four Sharp Corners and DSL. LUChampions has helped out greatly too, thanks Greg. Without them and Ebay I could never have put this together. 2-6-2006 - I helped out Icestorm with his last two cards for this set. Took them out of my set for him but he rewarded me by trading me 6 PSA 9's for the high series. I was glad to help him out because that is what the hobby is about! Congrats on another 100% complete I am banking on getting 100% by June 2006. I hope to then slowly upgrade by buying packs or finding the 9's on Ebay. I have had some great luck with packs so far. Well it is the last week of June and I fell a couple of cards short of my goal. 18 Months and only 2 cards short of the set and 4 for a PSA 8+ set. I am retiring this set and selling off many of the 9's to start my new passion, Packers All-Time Set and other Packer Team Sets. Thanks again to LUChampions for getting me started on this set. It is a sad day but I am excited to start my new collection

---------------------------------------

Thank you to all on the boards who helped me collect this set.

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to hear Troy, hope you find even more joy collecting those Packers.
    Jeremy
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Congratulations and Best of Luck with your new passion... very impressive set indeed!

A short time ago I decided to try and complete my Topps SF 49ers Team set that I had since I was a boy... I started collecting in 1973, but all thought those '72's were very groovy! Please let me know if you might have any extra '72 Topps SF 49ers cards, mid-grade Raw is okay with me.

thank you,

Mike
  • Options
    kadokakidkadokakid Posts: 426 ✭✭
    Congrats on a nice set. Good luck with the new challenge.
    Quick question, why do sets no longer in existence remain on
    the all time finest list, seems silly to me, who really cares what once
    was, if it is no longer around.

Just curious.

Peace
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats on a nice set. Good luck with the new challenge.
    Quick question, why do sets no longer in existence remain on
    the all time finest list, seems silly to me, who really cares what once
    was, if it is no longer around.

Just curious.

Peace >>

Who really cares what once was??? Are you serious? Me for one.

Why do sets no longer in existence remain on the all time finest list? Uh well it is ALL TIME finest! There is also a current finest list. But if there were not sets that were no longer in "existence" then the ALL TIME finest list would be the same as the current finest list and wouldn't show the ALL TIME finest sets!
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Well as another Die Hard Packer fan I can understand your plans. I will eventually join you. I would like to put together an all-time Packer Auto set. Good luck with your future sets. Maybe we can help each other out down the road. I would be glad to help when I can.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Troy,

Great job on your set! We all come to a point were there is little we can do to improve our collection and move on.

I look forward to seeing the development on your Packer collections. I will be eventually assembling Packers team sets from '79 on (as well as a Lofton set), so maybe we can assist one another. Dickey, Lofton, Jefferson and Coffman was great era for me - loved the long ball game - followed by the Magic Man and then the Favre era.

I don't see why everyone questions the All-Time Finest list. It lets future collectors see how there collection stacks up against the best from the past. That's why there are 2 lists - All-Time and Current - to compete from or measure up to.

Marcus
  • Options
    There comes a time in all card athletes' careers when you have to step back and hang up the cleats. The bangs and bruises linger longer and the sheer pain when you wake up is enough to make a lesser man cry. I think we've all been there and it chokes you up a bit. I've retired a number of sets going back to the 1930's, but baseball isn't as brutal and career longevity is longer. At least you have another direction to pursue. I see so many kids come on here fresh out of school and one minor financial set-back leaves them cardless with nothing to show for it. They have no degree and their sets never make it to Canton.

Once you start buying again, the worm will turn and you'll feel a lot better.

Good luck,

JLC
    Secretary of the Albacore Club

"I have one word for you, Ben... Spastics. Got it? Good. Enough said."
  • Options
    FarveFan,

Sorry to see you go. Thanks for the mention. I love the 72 set, I just had to back off for awhile it is very expensive to upgrade to the 9's. I don't have any cards to help you on this one but good luck anyway.

Jack
    Looking for 1971 Topps Football PSA 8 NQ or above, and slowly working my way into the 1962 Topps Football Set. Check out my 1972 Topps Football Set 100% Complete.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Glad to see some of the people I mentioned in the set read this post. It is tough to let go, you know what I mean. But I really want to focus on my Packer collection. There is a close knit group in the Packer collecting registry, some have posted here, that stay close and help each other out. It is not the #1 for them (and me) in most cases. You can read my post and see that I gave up cards to other set memebers to help them out. Some of those cards (Buliach and Garrison) are the ones I need to complete my set. But I am not mad, I am happy they upgraged and completed their sets.

Well, I plan on relisted my set after my membership runs out with a grade of 8.03 with 99.43% and then selling it on ebay. I would love to break it up but I need the overall $$ for the Packer sets.

Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement.

GO PACK!!!