Home Sports Talk
Options

cleveland indians.....what happened?

even the cubs took 2 out of 3 from them!!!! as of today they are 32-40. they have to be the biggest disappointment in baseball.

Comments

• Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    Totally ridiculous..they are so talented but flop....im sick of it!!
  • Options
    They have a nice corps of young players, but, IMO, they didn't get a few solid veterans to show the young guys how to consistently win in the majors......for an example, see the Tigers ---- they picked up Rodriquez, The Gambler, and the other guy whose name I can't rememberimage

Anyway - you need a mixture of young players and experienced, solid vets.

JMO, of course.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    The Indians really screwed up this past offseason. Letting 2 of their consistent starting pitchers (Millwood & Elarton) slip away in free agency while signing Jason Johnson and Paul Byrd to replace them was a huge mistake. But the biggest mistake was not keeping their strong bullpen intact - Riske was traded away like he was practically worthless, Howry left for bigger money, and they just unloaded Sauerbeck so 3 of the 5 guys that made up the core are gone.

Another big problem is that a lot of guys self-destructed all at once. Cliff Lee had a career year (but no one noticed his K/9 rate declined sharply and has declined again this season) and sure enough, the results have tailed off as well. Jhonny Peralta looked like he was going to become an all-star SS, but his average is down over 40 points while he's shown little power. Aaron Boone, who used to be a decent player, is no longer even worthy of a roster spot, yet they still are starting him. And Jason Michaels has not been a good replacement for Coco Crisp, not that Crisp was fantastic, but he did a good job.

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Pitching Pitching and Pitching.

I'm hoping they make a 2nd half run like last year.... that was an exciting year.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    a real laugher last nite!
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Perhaps they just need to play the Yankees more often...
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will plate runs in bunches IE last night instead of being more consistent. I agree about pitching, pitching and oh, um pitching......
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    their only chance is if some of the kid pitchers that have been called up really start producing out of the bullpen. otherwise forget about it...they will start unloading players soon if they don't keep winning. And it's great to see them pound the Yankees....19-1, 22-0 a few years ago. In the local paper they even mentioned that they beat them up 24-6 way back when....in fact three of the worst losses that the Yanks ever have had were playing Cleveland.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw that as well, but the real stat is championships I believe 26-1?
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    looks like the Yanks have payback on their minds...it's 9-1 in the 4th inning.....looks like they plucked the Byrd....