Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Let's play "guess the date" with these steps!

leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    68-S -
  • Options
    Here's a larger, clearer picture!

Leo

• Options

<< <i>1938 >>

Here's a quick lesson on Rev. of 1938 and Rev. of 1940 steps for 1938 and 1939 nickels. The rev. of 1938 steps are wavy and ill defined and of course the rev. of 1940 steps have straight, easy to define steps. The top step on nickels with the rev. of 1938 steps, the very top step is very thin where it actually disappears under the 1st pillar. Whereas, the top step is thicker for nickels that have the rev. of 1940 steps.

Leo

• Options
    emzeeemzee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    Could be any date from 1965-1970.
    Michael
  • Options

<< <i>Could be any date from 1965-1970.
    Michael >>

Right you are and additional pics are now up in my profile!

Leo

• Options
    Leo
    I'm guessing not a 65 - 67 - most steps are weaker and do not have the depth this coin has. I have never seen a 1969D & S with steps this good. FYI - I think I have a 69D with 4+ steps. Probably not a 70D - could be a 70S as a 2nd guess - but will go with the 68S since step weakness typically occurs under 2nd and 3rd pillars.
    Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    Hi Frank,

You can see this coin by clicking on the pair of glasses icon or the "Jefferson nickels" link.
    Overall, it's the best 1968-D with steps I've seen in awhile..............besides my own coin.
    Having both coins in hand over the weekend, I believe they came from the same
    pair of working dies. The strike on my coin appears stronger but yet, Micheal D's coin has
    the better steps! Both coins grade MS64 with similar gold toning on the devices and blue
    toned fields and luster.

Leo

• Options
    emzeeemzee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    I actually believe the correct answer to the question is 1964-1970. While I have never examined the step on 1964 SMS coins, I suspect they have similar steps to those pictured. In addition, I own a 1964 coin I found long ago in a roll, now in an ANACS ms65PL holder, which appears to me to have steps of 1965-1970 type and may actually be a business strike coin from 1964 SMS dies ( you don't think the US mint would discard perfectly good 1964 SMS dies after striking a handful of coins from them, do you?).

Michael
  • Options
    I was not far off, I should have gone for the 68-D since they get the weakness under both middle pillars and the S gets weak under the third.
    I have a 69-S that is slightly better than that one, it too is an MS64.. I also have an MS65 68-D with better steps, they would be full but for a nick in the upper left.
  • Options
    Leo

Nice pictures and coins! I did check and the 4+ step coin is not a 69D but a 68D graded MS66 I will try to post a picture later this week.

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options

<< <i>I actually believe the correct answer to the question is 1964-1970. While I have never examined the step on 1964 SMS coins, I suspect they have similar steps to those pictured. In addition, I own a 1964 coin I found long ago in a roll, now in an ANACS ms65PL holder, which appears to me to have steps of 1965-1970 type and may actually be a business strike coin from 1964 SMS dies ( you don't think the US mint would discard perfectly good 1964 SMS dies after striking a handful of coins from them, do you?).

Michael >>

What you've suggested is possible. I've checked the Nagengast book and changes were made for the reverse 1967 SMS coins and this reverse was also used for the 1968 to 1970 business issues. For the 1964 SMS special dies, couldn't the US Mint have reworked the dies by polishing them for the 1965 to 1967 SMS coins? The steps for business strikes from 1967 and back a few years do take on another look with no reference on when and if a change ever took place.

Leo

• Options

<< <i>I was not far off, I should have gone for the 68-D since they get the weakness under both middle pillars and the S gets weak under the third.
    I have a 69-S that is slightly better than that one, it too is an MS64.. I also have an MS65 68-D with better steps, they would be full but for a nick in the upper left. >>

Brian,

I was taken back a bit that you didn't get it right off! I'd like seeing the 69-S coin sometime and the MS65 68-D as well. You've sent coins my way before.

Leo

• Options

<< <i>Leo

Nice pictures and coins! I did check and the 4+ step coin is not a 69D but a 68D graded MS66 I will try to post a picture later this week.

Frank >>

Please do that! I'd love to see this coin!

On the same note, PCGS needs a new designation for these nickels that are extremely tough in full steps!
    Something like....4.9............but only for those coins with the best strikes the 30+ master dies could mustard!

Leo

• Options
    Leo,

I should send you the 69-S. Its fantastic. BTW If you want a very nice 68-S in MS66 that is just a hair from 5.75 steps I have one on the bay right now. 6-6-4-6 MS66 68-S
  • Options

<< <i>Leo,

I should send you the 69-S. Its fantastic. BTW If you want a very nice 68-S in MS66 that is just a hair from 5.75 steps I have one on the bay right now. 6-6-4-6 MS66 68-S >>

Brian,

I'd like to see the 69-S as well! As for the 68-S, I have a pretty nice one that can be seen in my profile. And I paid something like $17 for it along with a 1965 and 70-S, all from one seller. All these coins are in my profile and PCGS certified, I might add. The strikes on all 3 are very strong especially the 65. You need to direct your photo light from 2:00 instead of 9:00 to give your coins better detail. I don't usually bid on anything unless I can make some kind of heads or tails out of the coin.

Leo

• Options
    Leo, on the PCGS designation, I think PCGS needs to examine and think about at how they grade Jeff steps in the late 60's range. The rule is that if its weak they they don't give it to you. I have 4 68-S's back at PCGS, again, because they are full steps. Shoot 1 is even a 6 step coin its just a little weak, in the usual spot but its complete. Sometimes I think the graders grade these like they would a 72. I posted a Q&A question to HRH on this but got no response. This time around I paid the big dough for the grading, knowing full well they are going to HRH before they come back here.

Cheers,

Brian