Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

1980 Star Wars ESB Pros, Cons, and Frustrations

Well, I could have just bought a complete set. Now I know why I didnt. I have opened 11 Rack Packs (561 cards) and let me tell you the quality is absolutely horrible. I can't believe the amount of off centered, diamond cut, and creased cards. Plus its costing me a lot more.
Another frustration is that I am still 15 cards shy of the set...its only a 132 card set! OUCH!

The only good things is that I get to choose the best of the best for my set. Guess I should be thankful for that image

I also cracked 22 packs from the 1977 5th series today. NICE!!!

If anyone has any pack fresh, centered, mint singles available, please PM me!

Comments

• Options
    ColleSystemColleSystem Posts: 512 ✭✭
    I bought two sets of series one in my first step in collecting a high grade set (I have some racks on the way). The quality with my cards were in fact junk as well. The original star wars line is way better IMO. The ESB cards are so bad. It is very possible that a sizeable percentage of the cards in existance are junk.
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I dont think there is any other option other than to keep buying these racks to upgrade. I'll probably be able to put a couple extra sets together and sell them...I almost feel bad about it but they are pack fresh...will just have to explain the set's issues in the description.

My next break is going to be a box of 1977 Series 4. That's the only one I have left other than the stickers from series 1-3. Though I do plan on purchasing duplicate sets so I can put together the best sets possible.

Im hoping that this possible strike doesnt happen at my job...because it may be a while before I can make that purchase.
  • Options
    You will enjoy the series 4 box break. I just opened one last weekend. You probably will see the same cards off center time after time. I think you'll need extra luck with #251 "An overjoyed Han Solo".
    My sets:
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck working on your set! Everything is hit or miss with unopened stuff. Unfortuntaely for me, I opened several boxes of 1977 Series One and got perfect cards that I sent in all together and received the Grader of Death. I only got about 4 PSA 10's out of about 200 cherry picked cards (and some of these were not from the unopened boxes, too). Most of the 9's were borderline 10's as well, especially with some of the 10's I bought from other people.

Interesting news on the ESB. I did not realize they were so bad coming out of packs. I have a rack box that I have been holding for years...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I still plan on that purchase from you Gregmo! Its the never ending quest for a close to perfect raw set! Management and Union going back to the table after Management saw the percentage that voted for the strike...lets hope for no strike...then I will feel better about making purchases again!
  • Options
    captfischcaptfisch Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    The 1980 Empire Strikes Back set is finally on the registry! Always looking for trades or sales to upgrade my set. Thanks much.

Captfisch
  • Options
    COOL, I will be looking forward to looking at the registry. Please post pics ASAPPPPPPPPPPP!

-Scott
    My sets:
  • Options
    Captfish:

I cant believe you pulled a 10 on card #43. That is one of the defining cards of this set, in my opinion. That is one of the cards that I have wanted a 10 in for this line of cards. How about a pic.

I guess this is now the official ESB thread.

thanks,
    Scott

My sets:
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    I have the other #43 PSA 10. Wow! I never really looked closely and agree...it is a stunning card!

My ESB sets are now listed on the Registry and the Extra set is for sale or trade. Good luck to all.
  • Options
    captfischcaptfisch Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    It is a great card. I also think #54 Battle of the Star Destroyer is another card I'd like to get a 10 in. They made it in poster size as well. I'll try to get pictures up soon, it took forever to get all my Star Wars pictures in and I still have to do the 5th set and some odds and ends I've picked up along the way.

Captfisch
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 9:15PM