Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

crackout

I want to crack out a coin from a PCGS holder. How is it done without damaging the coin?

Comments

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    VERY CAREFULLY image
    Dan
  • Options
  • Options
    In order to crack out a coin, the best way that I found was to take a pair of wire cutters and basically crack it on the left or right side edge just about at the height of the center of the coin. The plastic cracks pretty easily straight across and your cutter's never get near the coin. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    It does help, Thanks
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I want to crack out a coin from a PCGS holder >>

Get a pair of Bolt Cutters. Put the slab in the cutters (but not too far as to get into the coin) at the edge in the area that is in the center of the coin. When you cut the slab will break in half. Then you simply pull the coin out with no damage or problem. If you need to you can cut the slab again. And cut across the top edge to remove the cert. Get a pair of 8 inch or larger bolt cutters and it takes no effort at all to crack the slab. Been doing it this way for years and never damaged a coin yet. image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I use a hammer, really, a framing axe to be exact. Hit it hard right on the edge, rotate it , hit it on another edge, etc., until you get seperation. The cutter method, IMO, is dangerous. The last thing you want is a break right in front of the coin. The plastic shatters so easily that cutters can shatter the plastic right into the coin. Really bad with silver and Gold which are soft.
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I use a hammer, really, a framing axe to be exact. >>

Try a 12lbs. Sledge Hammer

but cover it with a towel first image

If your cracking send back those Cert. Tags!!!!