Home Sports Talk
Options

Sensitivity training for Ozzie Guillen? what a joke

Does anyone really believe that a series of lectures and role playing in small groups is going to do anything to change him?

I don't.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think he should change. He's old school, and that's something the game needs.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    i think there should be "less sensitive" training for those who are "hurt" by stupid remarks.
  • Options
    I agree with all the above comments, however, I also am on the side of the reporter who bashed Ozzie's handeling of the young pitcher. Imagine you work so hard your whole life to make it to the bigs and your first time up there your manager, who has a reputation for being a bit "out there" tells you to plunk a guy, you know you'll get tossed if you do so, so you strike him out instead and your manager gets so upset and chews you out and sends you back to the minors. Altough I think senisitivity classes are a joke, I have lost a lot of respect for Ozzie because of this.
  • Options
    If your a player it's your job to do what the coach/manager says. Now that's simply playing team ball. Whether he chose to not to not hit him, we'll never know but we know he didn't do what he was told to.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I agree, he needs to do what he is told to do. Period. Don't f... with old school baseball guys. Davey Lopes wouldn't have put up with that crap either.
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    Just who the hell is Jay Marrioti to assume what was said in the dug-out? He can think that Ozzie ordered the hit, I believe he ordered the hit myself, but does anyone outside of that dugout KNOW for a FACT that the hit was ordered? Sure, we all believe it was, but how do we KNOW that it was? Marrioti was out of line (as most reporters are) by putting their opinions in the news. Stick to and report the facts - that's your job!!

I don't agree with guillen's response, I think he was out of line, but the sensitivity training is over the top - it probably won't do a freakin thing. Guillen is in the public eye, he should have better sense than that - their wasn't anything to gain by using that term - it would only be viewed by the scrutizining media and public as a negative comment. But, that's just Ozzie being Ozzie.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>Just who the hell is Jay Marrioti to assume what was said in the dug-out? He can think that Ozzie ordered the hit, I believe he ordered the hit myself, but does anyone outside of that dugout KNOW for a FACT that the hit was ordered? Sure, we all believe it was, but how do we KNOW that it was? Marrioti was out of line (as most reporters are) by putting their opinions in the news. Stick to and report the facts - that's your job!!

I don't agree with guillen's response, I think he was out of line, but the sensitivity training is over the top - it probably won't do a freakin thing. Guillen is in the public eye, he should have better sense than that - their wasn't anything to gain by using that term - it would only be viewed by the scrutizining media and public as a negative comment. But, that's just Ozzie being Ozzie. >>

Don't know where Marrioti got the info, could a sox player who heard it told him after the fact?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i think there should be "less sensitive" training for those who are "hurt" by stupid remarks. >>

Excellent!!!
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Look, it's a different era. Ozzie has no right calling anyone a f*g, and then, 'apologizing' and calling that same person a 'piece of sh*t'. This type of behavior is exactly the same type of ignorance that Jackie Robinson went through when he broke the color barrier.

Sensitivity training is ridiculous, and he should have sat for 5-10 games. This isn't a freedom of speech issue, it's an issue of ozzie making MLB look bad. Selig should show some onions and have doled out a reasonable suspension.

As far as hitting the guy....it's obvious he TRIED. I'd like anyone here to go up and plunk a guy. Under pressure and you're a rookie? It's not an easy thing to do.

We have got to quit excusing people as 'oh that's just ozzie being ozzie'. He's a homophobe, he's reckless, and he needs to pull it back.

Would someone who hadn't just won a world series be given the same amount of slack as this guy?

• Options
    True Story:

About 13 years ago I was a 18 year old kid working at Bennigans in Chicago Ridge as a waiter. One day I am outside the restrauant when Ozzie walks up with 3 hot blondes. As he gets to the front door he is looking me right in the eye waiting for me to say something. I look at him and say, "Yah, I know who you are". He then puts his arm around me and say's, "So your gay too!". We all laugh out loud and him and the three Blondes walked into the restraunt and straight to the bar. He was buzzed when he got there and spent another 6 hours there partying it up.

Joking it up like that I don't think he is a homophobe.

Again this is a true story,

Glen
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>
    >>

His run in with Mariatti isn't the first time he's used disparing terms to describe those he's had beef with.

He tries to use the whole 'in my country' or 'in my culture'. That doesn't fly here. You know exactly what you meant to say, you've been here long enough to know exactly what it means.

Again, does anyone think he'd be off the hook this easy as 'ozzie being ozzie' if he was a .500 manager?
  • Options

<< <i>Look, it's a different era. Ozzie has no right calling anyone a f*g, and then, 'apologizing' and calling that same person a 'piece of sh*t'. This type of behavior is exactly the same type of ignorance that Jackie Robinson went through when he broke the color barrier.

Sensitivity training is ridiculous, and he should have sat for 5-10 games. This isn't a freedom of speech issue, it's an issue of ozzie making MLB look bad. Selig should show some onions and have doled out a reasonable suspension.

As far as hitting the guy....it's obvious he TRIED. I'd like anyone here to go up and plunk a guy. Under pressure and you're a rookie? It's not an easy thing to do.

We have got to quit excusing people as 'oh that's just ozzie being ozzie'. He's a homophobe, he's reckless, and he needs to pull it back.

Would someone who hadn't just won a world series be given the same amount of slack as this guy? >>

I agree with Ax on this one.

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    More and more Ozzie is showing what a jerk he is. I really dont put any merit whatsoever in the " old school " excuse. There are plenty of old school managers, players, ex players, fans, etc. who dont walk around bashing people. There are plenty of old school guys that wouldnt think twice to throw at someones head, but dont go out and call the guy a piece of $hit after the game. Ozzie has managed to rip some of his players,managers and players on other teams, the media, and whoever else. He has zero class and his act is going to wear real thin real soon. If he didnt have a great pitching staff he wouldnt be in the position to get one tenth of the leeway he gets.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Ozzie should learn better English first and then compare it to how it would interprit in "his country"
  • Options
    Ozzie gives himself way to much credit for the Sox success. He always says, "I brought this town a WS," and it is said as if he is the reason. Then he has that goofy Ozzie/small ball mantra which isn't remotely close to the reason why they won last year. I'm tired of hearing people say that. They actually won the Earl Weaver way, good pitching and a three run home run...especially in the playoffs and WS.

Their ERA went from 4.91 to 3.61, and that is the number one reason, and it dwarfs any other possible explanation of why the Sox had such a good season last year. It personified itself even more so in the playoffs, pitching and timely Home Runs. Ozzie is not remotely responsible for that.

Not to mention that they were bailed out against Boston by a key error, and against Anaheim by that famous dropped third strike. Like any other team, good fortune has a huge role in deciding if the team will win it all.

I'm also tired of hearing Ozzie say how he knew how to play the game, again more with small ball garbage. The guy only had THREE seasons where he eclipsed a .300 OB percentage, and that is putrid. His stolen base prowess was worse than Eddie Murray's. He was very good defensively, no denying that.

Kenny Williams had a much bigger role in that championship than did Ozzie. He took some good smart risks on some players and it paid off big time.
  • Options

<< <i>i think there should be "less sensitive" training for those who are "hurt" by stupid remarks. >>

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ozzie gives himself way to much credit for the Sox success. He always says, "I brought this town a WS," and it is said as if he is the reason. >>

Do you mean Ozzie or Theo....lol
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>True Story:

Again this is a true story,

Glen >>

well DUH!!! Sorry for the double post, but it was well worth it image