Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1876 Centennial commemorative medal trio: bronze, white metal, gilt (see current Numismatist)

jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
There was a lot of interest in these medals in another thread, and on top of that I just got the latest issue of the Numismatist and it has an article about them also. Since the pictures are sort of small both in the other thread and in the Numismatist, here are some larger ones.

These are specimens of the official medal of the United States Centennial, Julian CM-11, 57 mm, in copper, white metal, and gilt [update 11/30/2007: and white metal, silver-plated]. There were additionally 11 specimens struck in silver (two of them melted at the mint). The single unique specimen in gold sold in one of the Ford sales for $50K.

imageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt becauase I just purchased a silver-plated white metal version and added pics of it. Julian doesn't list a silver-plated white metal version. Someone must have plated it outside the mint, I guess.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Very neat!

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There was a lot of interest in these medals in another thread, and on top of that I just got the latest issue of the Numismatist and it has an article about them also. Since the pictures are sort of small both in the other thread and in the Numismatist, here are some larger ones.

imageimageimageimage >>

These are specimens of the official medal of the United States Centennial, Julian CM-11, 57 mm, in copper, white metal, and gilt [update 11/30/2007: and white metal, silver-plated]. There were additionally 11 specimens struck in silver (two of them melted at the mint). The single unique specimen in gold sold in one of the Ford sales for $50K.
    And the unique specimen in Gold, which is currently owned by a forum member, has been shared here previously.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Cool!
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are pretty awesome!
  • Options
    Just couldn't resist keeping this thread alive, so here is the Gold CM-11, ex:FORD. NOT MINE, BUT HOW I WISH UPON A STAR.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely beautiful, thanks for sharing. I have only recently starting collecting medals.

Do you mind if I ask a truly naive question.
    What is "gilt"? Are there different kinds?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

Gilding is the art of applying a thin layer of gold or something simulating gold to a surface. Products employed may be real gold leaf ranging in karats from 9 (white gold) upto 24; imitation leaf--composition gold, Dutch metal leaf, aluminum leaf, copper leaf; variegated leaf, mica powders; etc. This art was known to the ancients. According to Herodotus, the Egyptians were accustomed to gilding wood and metals; and gilding by means of gold plates is frequently mentioned in the Old Testament. Pliny the Elder informs us that the first gilding seen at Rome was after the destruction of Carthage, under the censorship of Lucius Mummius, when the Romans began to gild the ceilings of their temples and palaces, the Capitol being the first place on which this process was used. But he adds that luxury advanced on them so rapidly that in very little time you might see all, even private and poor people, gild the walls, vaults, and other parts of their dwellings. Owing to the comparative thickness of the gold leaf used in ancient gilding, the traces of it which yet remain are remarkably brilliant and solid.

Gilding has in all times occupied an important place in the ornamental arts of Oriental countries; and the native processes pursued in India at the present day may be taken as typical of the arts as practised from the earliest periods.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you very much. I thought it must be a thin layer.
    But I am confused as to when it says in the description of a certain medal, let's say the HK-401(I have this) it says gilt. Do I assume this is a gold gilt or something else?
    I'm sorry I am a little slow at this, but I want to understand it.
  • Options
    Your HK-401 is likely gilded(gilt) with a brass composition , which can closely resemble gold. This was an inexpensive way to produce an historic medal that had the appeal of gold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file