Home Sports Talk

David Wright

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is this kid living up to the hype or what? Tell you what, he might be the best player in the big apple right now, I think Arod takes a second place to him.

Comments

• AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Last night his poor choice to field a ball that was likely going to go foul cost the Mets the game (Wagner walking 2 sure didn't help, either).

I agree he's been hot with the bat, but let's see him put together a few years before we put him ahead of established players.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Is this kid living up to the hype or what? Tell you what, he might be the best player in the big apple right now, I think Arod takes a second place to him. >>

What is the deal with New Yorkers and A-Rod? The only player that may compare to him is Pujols; other than that there isn't a single other player in the majors who has anywhere near his talent.

'Right now' is a poor way to analyse player performance, IMO. In April, for instance, you could have said that Chris Sheldon was 'right now' better than everyone else in the AL. You need to consider their prior acheivements, and weight these against any possible decline in talent due to age (or lack of access to steroids, or whatever). The fact that A-Rod has had a below average season so far doesn't put him beneath David Wright.
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Im probably the biggest culprit on these boards when it comes to getting on Arod, but I have to agree with Boo.

Wright is a franchise player and will be at the top of any list for years to come, but until he strings together a few years of greatness he cant be considered better than a well established star.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    he might be the best player in the big apple right now,

Well ask yourself this question.

Payrod 25 million a year

Wright is what 300k right now. I think the mets owner is very happy he didnt get arod.

This kid seems to get better every day. I am just praying the mets lock him up with a 10 year deal like the cards did with pujols.

oh yeah the mets are now 10 games up on the sillies! and 15 on the braves! its been a long time for mets fans to be this happy. and our future looks like we will be contenders for years to come!

LETS GO METS image
    Of course Arod's making boatloads more cash, that's going to happen when you're the best player in the league.

How much do you think Wright's next contract is going to pay him? It sure as hell is gonna be closer to 25 million than it is 300k.

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Arod is not even the best player on his team.

Wright has done it since he came up almost 2 full yrs now. Fathers day he hits a 1st pitch grand slam when the game was on the line. I see Arod hitting into a double play in that situation. Today the kid hits two, 2 run homers.

That play at 3rd was a tuffy. had he let it go from where he was it quite possibly could have hit the bag. While the play was happening I thought he was going to dive to the bag. had he done so he may have gotten the runner. In any event i'd take him over Arod anyday.

Arod leaves Seattle and they win 116 games.

Arod leaves Texas and they have what amounts to the best season ever for them (won-lost)

Arod comes to NY and NADA.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • I'd take either of them right now in KCimage

<< <i>I'd take either of them right now in KCimage >>

Dallas....I have to tell ya, I get a kick out of your posts. Every one I catch is some sort of grumbling over the Royals. Hang in there, things can only get better !
    -- Yogi Berra

• LOL - we picked up Joey Gathright from Tampa yesterday.....threw him into CF and into 9th spot in the batting order --- 2 for 3 last night....nice start. They shifted DeJesus to LF.....soon they want to put JG in the leadoff spot and move everyone down a notch...

I was like "holy sh*t....we have some speed in the lineup....what does this new GM think he's doing?....trying to put together a baseball team or something....?"image

....I gotta grumble thru the summer until I can watch Larry Johnson bullrush behind that big O-Line!

<< <i>Arod is not even the best player on his team. >>

Really? Please enlighten us as to who's better on his team? And then tell us what narcotics you've been taking to come to that conclusion.

<< <i>Wright has done it since he came up almost 2 full yrs now. Fathers day he hits a 1st pitch grand slam when the game was on the line. I see Arod hitting into a double play in that situation. Today the kid hits two, 2 run homers. >>

Hmm 2 years, or TWELVE years of dominating baseball? I'll take 12 please!

<< <i>That play at 3rd was a tuffy. had he let it go from where he was it quite possibly could have hit the bag. While the play was happening I thought he was going to dive to the bag. had he done so he may have gotten the runner. In any event i'd take him over Arod anyday. >>

You are out of your mind. And if he does let it go, where's the harm? Its rolling so slow that no one is going to score anyways. He'll pick it up in time, as he's young and still developing, but to come out and say he's better than Arod is just insane.

<< <i>Arod leaves Seattle and they win 116 games.

Arod leaves Texas and they have what amounts to the best season ever for them (won-lost) >>

So what's your point?

<< <i>Arod comes to NY and NADA. >>

Arod won an MVP...you don't honestly believe that the reason the yankees haven't won the world series since Arod got there is Arod, do you? How maniacal do you have to be to believe that?

WP, you've lost it!

edit: fixed

<< <i> >>

's.
    Boy you really like to twist the facts.

1st, in your post you put the blame on the loss on him. ( what drug are you on)? Wagner self destructed. That one play did not cost the Mets the game.

secondly, I never said he was better the Arod. I said "I'd take him over Arod any day" Big difference.

lastly 'my point' is obvious. He leaves one team they win 116 games, he leaves another and they become better without him. What don't you understand?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Boy you really like to twist the facts.

1st, in your post you put the blame on the loss on him. ( what drug are you on)? Wagner self destructed. That one play did not cost the Mets the game.

secondly, I never said he was better the Arod. I said "I'd take him over Arod any day" Big difference.

lastly 'my point' is obvious. He leaves one team they win 116 games, he leaves another and they become better without him. What don't you understand?

Steve >>

What I don't understand is how you can think losing the best player in the league is the reason why either of those two teams improved. It should be clear to anyone that you don't improve as a ball team because the best player in MLB has been taken off your roster. I don't know why the Mariners or Rangers had more successful seasons after A-Rods departure than before, but I can't imagine the circumstances under which I would attribute that reversal to losing A-Rod.

<< <i>Boy you really like to twist the facts.

1st, in your post you put the blame on the loss on him. ( what drug are you on)? Wagner self destructed. That one play did not cost the Mets the game. >>

First, please note I said 'Wagner walking 2 sure didn't help, either'.

<< <i>secondly, I never said he was better the Arod. I said "I'd take him over Arod any day" Big difference. >>

Well if you're a Mets fan OF COURSE you'd take him.

You never addressed my question about who is a better player on the yankees than Arod. Or did you 'forget'?

<< <i>lastly 'my point' is obvious. He leaves one team they win 116 games, he leaves another and they become better without him. What don't you understand? >>

Haven't the yankees won the division both years he's been in NY? Hasn't he won an MVP? Please tell me you honestly believe the yankees not winning the world series the last 2 years is Arod's fault, so we can ALL laugh at your ignorance.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd take either of them right now in KCimage >>

I hear ya Dallas ....

It is hard to believe that has recent as the early 90's the Royals were in the top 5 in payroll. Poor (not in cash!) ownership is to blame.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really didn't intend to start a fight here but it is obvious that there is a lot of bad blood, so fight on I quess. I give Wright credit for living up to the hype that surrounded him in the spring. I wasn't bashing Arod by any meens and as far as their careers go it is not even a comparison as far as numbers go or even championships for that matter. Just thinking we might have a Mantle, Mays, or Duke Snider situation brewing in New York.
    Wright is an awesome young talent. He is everyhting he has been hyped to be image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    David Wright is the real deal - and he has a great attitude that makes him even more popular with the fans. Wright and Reyes form a pretty exciting infield combo, one that not too many teams can match.
    Last night his poor choice to field a ball that was likely going to go foul cost the Mets the game (

Yeah ok 1 play makes a game.

Yes i see that you included Wagner too.

And to answer Axhole so he does not have a fit...I'd take Jeter and or Sheffield over Arod.

Haven't the yankees won the division both years he's been in NY? Hasn't he won an MVP? Please tell me you honestly believe the yankees not winning the world series the last 2 years is Arod's fault, so we can ALL laugh at your ignorance.

Not sure what that means as I have made no such statement. You as usual ASSume what people are thinking.

have I answered all your questions now?

Boo

A team can get better even after losing the best player in the league. It depends on what they get for him. All I said was he leaves those 2 teams and they got better. Read into it as you want. I was just making a statement that is based on fact.

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>
    And to answer Axhole so he does not have a fit...I'd take Jeter and or Sheffield over Arod.
    >>

That's not what you said. You said he wasn't the best player on his own team...and you'd take a roided up Sheffield over Arod? Are you delusional? Oh wait, you are.

<< <i>Not sure what that means as I have made no such statement. You as usual ASSume what people are thinking. >>

You specifically pointed out the yankees haven't won 'nada' since he got to NY. What is one to assume from reading that, you imbecile?

It is exactly what i said. It may not be what you want to think i meant, but as usual you can twist what people say to fit what is in that cement head that you have.

as for the nada reply, again read into it what you want.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I know this is the wrong forumimage, but since Mr. Wright is being discussed, is anyone interested in a David Wright (2005 Polo Grounds) #d/85 ?. It was sent to me in error by an ebay seller from whom I purchased an Ichiro card.

sorry--you may now return to the previous train-of-thought and disregard this post.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
    WP-

you are wrong (again). You said:

<< <i> Arod is not even the best player on his team. >>

You did not say you'd rather have Jeter or Sheffield on your team. Saying he's not the best player on his team indicates you feel there is a better player on the yankees, which, as usual, you are wrong on.

Wright is having a fabulous year, and he's a bargain basement deal at his contract level. But let's give him some time before proclaiming him the best player in NY.
    Ok let me simplfy it for you. Since you know what people are thinking.

i said Arod is not the best player on his team.

I further say that I think Jeter and Sheffield are better. Symantics aside. Do you know comprhend what i meant?

I used the term ' I'd rather have' , meaning they are better. IMO, you asked a question and I answered it. As usual you twist what you think is said.

Wrong as usual? Christ I can't count how many times that you have been proven wrong.

Steve
    Good for you.
    Jeter and Sheffield are better than Arod?

Ok dope...I'm done with you.

• ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    WP - I am no Arod fan, not even close to being one. But Sheffield is better than him? How do you figure that?
    Axhole, is that a promise? and fwiw I think you are a dope too. Make that I know you are a dope.

Jery, I have an opinion just like everyone else. IMO I feel I'd rather have Jeter or Sheffield. I think they are better.

Arod is a great ballplayer, don't get me wrong he just does not impress me like other players do. Perhaps I feel he should come through when the chips are down more often. I dunno, he just has never really impressed me. For some reason he leaves teams and they seem to get better.

Last yr he won the MVP and I feel he was not even the MVP of the Yanks. Sheffield was.

Steve
    Good for you.
    WP-

You have a personal grudge against Arod, for whatever reason, I don't know.

But you can't honestly say you think Sheffield had a better year than Arod, can you? Putting your personal dislike of the guys aside, you can sit there with a straight face and say that?

<< <i>WP-

You have a personal grudge against Arod, for whatever reason, I don't know.

But you can't honestly say you think Sheffield had a better year than Arod, can you? Putting your personal dislike of the guys aside, you can sit there with a straight face and say that? >>

well hell man! Why not? After all, you think that Robinson Cano would be a .240 hitter if he did not have Bernie "washed up Tino look alike" Williams, Bubba Crosby, Andy Phillips, and Melky Cabrera hitting after him image

softy-

so you, too, subscribe to the absurd notion that sheffield is better than arod, and that sheffield had the better year last year?
    Ax,

Why are you derailing the David Wright thread for Met fans ? Did you not ask for respect on your Mariners thread ? Can you please explain how you can derail Yankee threads with anti NY talk, derail your OWN Mariner thread with anti NY talk, and derail a Met related thread with anti NY talk ? I think every Met fan deserves to know why you need to talk and bash Yankees on their thread since you have repeatedly asked for us to stop derailing your Mariners thread.

BTW Ax, since you have derailed again, I dislike Sheffield and cant wait for him to be permanently gone from the Yankees, but I think if you asked nearly every pitcher in the league who they would fear most in a big at bat, Arod or Sheffield, a majority would say Sheffield.
    -- Yogi Berra

heh just can't resist, can you?

Chide me for derailing, but insist on continuing the topic? Talk to your boy WP about bringing Arod into the discussion, instead of Wright's merits.

Sorry you are unable to comprehend it's not me who took this train off it's tracks.

<< <i>softy-

so you, too, subscribe to the absurd notion that sheffield is better than arod, and that sheffield had the better year last year? >>

no, I subcribe to the notion that YOU make ABSURD notions daily and you have the little pea balls to try and call someone out for this. Steve can think whatever the FU$K he wants a$$hole.

Talk to your boy WP about bringing Arod into the discussion,

Wrong (as usual) I did not bring up Arod, you did (before me at least)

actually the person that started the thread did.

So dopey get the facts straight before you accuse me of anything.

Steve
    Good for you.
    Proved wrong, Axhole runs from the thread. Typical.

Steve

Good for you.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wright has the most HR's in the month of June so far, If Pujols did not get injured he might have the second most but who cares? Great swing and on pace for a monster year.
    Hey donkey I've question for you.

before i ever said a word in this thread you stated:

Of course Arod's making boatloads more cash, that's going to happen when you're the best player in the league.

what the freak does that have to do with David Wright?

It is there that you derailed the thread.

Steve

Good for you.

<< <i>Hey donkey I've question for you.

before i ever said a word in this thread you stated:

what the freak does that have to do with David Wright?

It is there that you derailed the thread.

Steve >>

Perhaps you should look at kuhlman's post immediately before mine?

<< <i>Payrod 25 million a year

Wright is what 300k right now. I think the mets owner is very happy he didnt get arod. >>

Or did you fail basic reading comprehension?

Oh i get it. you can say go to the post above mine but i can't.

typical of you donkey.

If you recall all i said was that YOU posted about arod before i did. and you gave all sorta of reasons why that is not valid. yet now you expect that very same logic to bail you out.
    I am supposed to read what was said above your post but I do not get the same consideration.

very typical of you and all see it.

you derailed the thread BEFORE I DID

Of course you will argue that i am splitting hairs.

You claim my post was a slam on arod. like that is a derailment. How about if I said he was the best player ever woukld that have made a difference? . but of course being a jackass you won't see it.

You drerailed the thread BEFORE I did. admit it and move on. You will feel much better.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Axtell is a clown.
    WP-

Are you claiming I posted about Arod first, or derailed the thread prior to you?

I can't keep up with you as you keep interchanging the two. Truth is, here's what happened:

The original poster said Wright was better than anyone, even Arod. I said we should wait before he jumps to the head of that line, kuhlman posts that for the money, Wright is a better player. I say that Arod's been in the league longer, and that Wright's contract will surely rise in line with his talents when he gets his next deal.

YOU then chime in with 'Arod's not even the best player in NY.' Then ramble about how Seattle won 116 games the year after he left.

WTF? Who derailed the thread again?

It was YOU.
    Are you claiming I posted about Arod first, or derailed the thread prior to you?

listen donkey you said i derailed the thread. i said you brought up arod before i did. i don't care in what context either of us brought him up. the fact remains you did. therefore you derailed the thread.
    before I did at least and that is what i have been saying since last week.
    to answer your latest question the answer is, and has always been YES.

I finally got through that cement head you have?

Steve

Good for you.
    Donkey funny how you leave out the meat of that post in which I said:

Wright has done it since he came up almost 2 full yrs now. Fathers day he hits a 1st pitch grand slam when the game was on the line. I see Arod hitting into a double play in that situation. Today the kid hits two, 2 run homers.

I also remarked about the play at third. In your zeal to defend arod (and take the thread off topic you chose to zero in on the secondary statments i made which were in reply to your statement regarding arods salary. so dopey it was you that derailed the thread BEFORE me at least!

Of course you being an arod lover only saw what you wanted to see.

was simply replying to you and your remark that arod makes boatloads of money.

i hope this now penetrates that cement head you have.

Steve
    Good for you.
    Please tell me something, if you can, WP:

How can someone derail a thread in which their post contains a comparison of the original topic?

The original poster claimed Wright is the best player in NY, with even Arod taking second to him. Kuhlmann adds that, due to their salaries, Wright's a better player (following me? Both players from the original post are being discussed). I counter with facts about Arod having been in the league, and that Wright will be making much more than his current salary in his next contract.

Tell me, in that exchange, how was the topic derailed? Both players were brought up in all 3 posts...yet MINE is the one that somehow derailed it?

If I can? First off, I originally did not say that you derailed anything! You claimed that i had. I then simply pointed out that you mentioned arod before I did. you then of course gave your reasons on how your mentioning of him did not derail yet somehow mine did.

It no longer surprises me how thick you can be.

Somehow in that delusional head you carry between your shoulders you are allowed to reply about arod in a david wright thread but I am not.

in closing I'll repeat what you said just one more time if it sinks in fine, if it doesn'twell that is fine too.

and I quote:

remm these are your words.

The original poster of the thread said that Wright was better than Arod...said that Wright was the best player in the big apple, did he not?

So how can my reply that arod was not even the best player on his team be considered a derailment? and to further illutsrate how you like to twist every word people say here I only stated (at first) that I mentioned arod AFTER you did.

Now I am sure this post will not sink in and that you will continue your claim that i derailed it to save face.

Steve

edited to add: I at first never claimed you derailed anything, it was only after going around in circles with you that i finally did say that you had..............sorta......

Im asking alot here for you to comprehend a full sentence but I'll try.

here ya go. i said:

so dopey it was you that derailed the thread BEFORE me at least!

the key words being BEFORE me at least.

Steve
    Good for you.
    WP-

Honest question here...do you know what it means to derail a thread?

The original poster posed that wright is the best player in the big apple, saying arod took second to him. Kuhlman furthered the SAME discussion, and brought up their salaries. I continued the SAME discussion, saying Wright would be making a lot closer to Arod's salary on his next contract.

You jumped in and start slamming Arod for Seattle winning 116 games after he left, and the ranger having a better year after he left. Sure there were bits of wright in your post, but please tell me the relevance in talking about wright being the best player in NY by bringing up what happened in Seattle and texas after he left, and how ny has done 'nada' since he got there? Tell me how that isn't derailing?

I'm done with this entire 'derailment' nonsense. You are too simple-minded to grasp the concept, that, or simply unable to admit fault.

Have a good day.
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    David Wright is a better player than Arod so far this season. No doubt.

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
    your right, nevermind

you have succsefully twisted the conversation 30 different ways.

Im done with you.

Steve
    Good for you.
    Thank you for finally admitting fault, WP.
    hee haw hee haw.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>hee haw hee haw.

Steve >>

I keep seeing two things -

George Bailey's rich friend in "It's a Wonderful Life."

The assasin's son in Godfather 2(?) that the don made do his childhood donkey impression when he was an adult. Think the guy whacked him soon after.