Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone else pitch their Heritage catalogs before opening them?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
What a waste of money to produce and ship. When your customers buy from you online, why send them printed material? Just credit me the $6 shipping charge and what has to be about a $5 printing charge for each catalog. THEN I'll buy something.
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think for the first time ever, I tossed the recent Dallas Heritage catalog into the recycling bin without opening it. I have previously only done that with the B&M catalogs.
  • Options
    I admit to doing it sometimes! Usually I will at least flip through the pages but then it quickly goes in the trash before I think of some reason to save it. I prefer to view and place my bids via the web. The catalogs are beautiful but useless unless you are seriously into research.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Only the B&M catalogs go directly into the trash can.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    If you throw the catalogues without opening them, may I suggest:

1. Donating them to a local coin club or YN group

2. If you do not do the above, would you kindly inform the companies to remove you from their list, as it would they are very expensive to produce and ship. Additionally, it would save some trees!
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually take them to one of my coin club meetings and someone there is grateful to get them.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I don't get their catalogs in the mail.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Often.

But I sure regret tossing the Jules Reviere cats... they sell for good money!image
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you throw the catalogues without opening them, may I suggest:

1. Donating them to a local coin club or YN group

2. If you do not do the above, would you kindly inform the companies to remove you from their list, as it would they are very expensive to produce and ship. Additionally, it would save some trees! >>

I agree!
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Heritage mails catalogs to clients who have either requested them or as a courtesy for their much-appreciated business. However, we understand that many people prefer to review auction items online. If you do not wish to receive future catalogs for Heritage auctions, please e-mail us at bid@heritageauctions.com, or call us at 1-800-872-6467.
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    Well stated Stuart---not everyone tosses them !
  • Options
    i just did
  • Options
    Are the printed photos as bad as the photos online?
    Please download this app to help fight cancer at 0 cost. At no extra cost to you purchases from Amazon and other participating retailers will benefit research!

http://my.affinity.is/cancer-research?referral_code=MjI4Nzgz
  • Options
    Most Heritage auction catalogs I read before I discard and many I keep forever. I have even bought Heritage catalogs that contained older collections and coins that interest me. I knew that the upcoming Dallas sale had nothing in it for me, so I tossed it. This is the exception for me rather than the rule.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Stack's sends me two copies of every catalog -- one to my PO Box and one to our home address. I've never purchased anything from them.
  • Options

<< <i>Heritage mails catalogs to clients who have either requested them or as a courtesy for their much-appreciated business. However, we understand that many people prefer to review auction items online. If you do not wish to receive future catalogs for Heritage auctions, please e-mail us at bid@heritageauctions.com, or call us at 1-800-872-6467. >>

STEW!!! Thank you for your response. Email sent.

Now we all know the life blood of an auction company is consignment, and consignment sure does sound better when you can boast a huge direct-mail audience--solicited or not.

I'll hope you keep your word and remove me and any others who request to be removed from your mail list.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stack's sends me two copies of every catalog -- one to my PO Box and one to our home address. I've never purchased anything from them. >>

Me, too. I think I got on their list after selling some stuff to Littleton years ago.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love their online previews .... I always check my immediate interest areas frequently so I know what's coming up. However, I still like to review the entire catalog [yeah, even the gold image ] when it comes in the mail. - just in case.

I can do without the other catalogs, tho. I don't know why I get the artsy fartsy stuff from their other divisions ....
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>and what has to be about a $5 printing charge for each catalog >>

I'll guarantee you those catalogs cost considerably more than $5 to print. In a lot of cases $5 won't pay for the paper let alone the printing.

<< <i>I prefer to view and place my bids via the web. >>

As do I, but I hate to try an browse the lots online. For example tonights ANR auction. About the first 200 lots were Conder tokens. But the listing of the lots have the descriptions truncated and did not include the Country or D&H catalog identifications. So I had to call up each lot, one at a time, wait for it to load then check to see if I even needed to look at the lot. If not, then I moved to the next lot. Fortunately I'm not doing that on dial-up anymore, but the wireless internet still takes 30 seconds or so downloading all that stuff. There were four lots of interest to me in those 200 and it took me well over two hours to look at them. I could have skimmed them in a printed catalog in 10 to 15 minutes or less. I much prefer the printed catalog for finding what I want to look at, and then using the net for a closer look and bidding.
  • Options
    Catalogs encourage me to look at ALL of the material rather than a particular series. When I go online, I tend to surf only those areas of most importance to me. I like the catalogs and make a point of printing out the "prices realized" after the auction closes and place it with the catalog for future reference.

YJ
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Trashed it yesterday at the P.O.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    How can I request a Heritige or Stacks catalogue?

I am a member of Heritage.

Thanks in advance,
    Zach
    Zach
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How can I request a Heritige or Stacks catalogue?

I am a member of Heritage.

Thanks in advance,
    Zach >>

Go to their website and find the page that says CONTACT US, then ask them politely in an email. If you would like a shortcut, simply put your cursor on the following link, click your left mouse button and check it out !

You're Welcome !

Joe
  • Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    Thanks! image
    Zach
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i like them and the cat photos many times are better than online

and much information easier to leaf through to see what you are interested in

many i have saved and are priceless for me as reference material
  • Options

<< <i>Heritage mails catalogs to clients who have either requested them or as a courtesy for their much-appreciated business. However, we understand that many people prefer to review auction items online. If you do not wish to receive future catalogs for Heritage auctions, please e-mail us at bid@heritageauctions.com, or call us at 1-800-872-6467. >>

Garsh! Even after following Stew's advice and emailing heritage to ask for immediate removal from their mailing list over a month ago, what should appear in my mailbox today (and nearly cause it to be ripped from the wall)?

I know, I know. It takes more than 30 days to point and click a mouse. I know this because I edit mailing lists for a living.

You think for a moment that with as many mailings as we all get begging us for consignments they'd do something as ethical as removing someone from their mail list? Ha!

Then again, why would you expect a company asking for your rare coins to be ethical and customer-oriented?
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Weiss, please contact me directly to get this resolved.

Thanks!
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    Does anyone think they will go up in value in the future? Maybe...... if the realized amounts were included with them??????
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭
    I see SO MANY people here throwing out the catalogs! OUCH!!! I won't pay the $150 for a year's worth of catalogs, I'd rather spend the money buying the coins instead. I guess they won't send any to me because I usually only spend about $300-$900 for a single coin. maybe I have to spend more than a grand? LOL Perhaps next year?...... Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    Stewart,

Is it possible to change one's preference from receiving the paper catalogs to receive the CD-ROM instead?

I guess they won't send any to me because I usually only spend about $300-$900 for a single coin. maybe I have to spend more than a grand?

Lowball bid some megararities, and you will likely make the cut. Say, a $10,000 bid on a 70-CC $20 or something like that.

Does anyone think they will go up in value in the future? Maybe...... if the realized amounts were included with them??????

I do not believe that they will in my lifetime for two reasons: they are extremely common, and the information is provided for free on the internet in an easily searchable format. (kudos to Heritage for providing the latter)
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Shame on Heritage, if their website wasn't so good we would need the catalogsimage----------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I love flipping through the catalog as well and then when done I just hand them out at the Santa Clara Coin show. The photos and descriptions are really useful to a lot of people that don't have access to the catalogs.
  • Options
    Send them to me. I will pay the media rate postage.

These catalogs are better investments than most of the modern mint issues.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    I do.
  • Options
    RodiusRodius Posts: 857
    I read everyone. They stopped coming, must be I did not renew my subscription. I just took several to recycling, no coin clubs in the area.
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Heritage is a business I use and like. jws
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I usually take them to one of my coin club meetings and someone there is grateful to get them. >>

Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I only ever used mine if I was going to the live auction; than I used it to write notes about the coins I wanted to look at or bid on!
  • Options
    [quote]Heritage sues Superior over catalog text

DALLAS – A trial has been scheduled to begin on April 7, 2008, to determine the outcome of a lawsuit Heritage Numismatic Auctions Inc. has filed against one of its competitors, Superior Galleries Inc. At issue is the plaintiff’s claim that Superior infringed on Heritage’s copyrighted coin descriptions from its auction catalogs.

Click to read more about it on AntiqueTrader.com![/quote]
    Sig: Looking for a recent smr magazine, Please pm if you have one to recycle. Thank You

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file