Home Sports Talk
Options

Heat Win First NBA Championship

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
And I have to say, I am both impressed with the Heat in turning around an 0-2 series in which it looked like they were completely outclassed, while disappointed Dallas, who should have won either/both games 3 and 5, has no ability to finish off games.

Funny that with all the hype of Lebron and Carmello, Wade is the first of that class to win a title, and looks to be the best pro player of the group.

Comments

• Options
    Darko won the first title of that draft class.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>Darko won the first title of that draft class. >>

No, he had absolutely nothing to do with winning the title, and there's no one with a brain would call Darko the best player of that class.
  • Options
    "and there's no one with a brain would call Darko the best player of that class. "

Did I call him that? Nope just STATing facts.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    fab4fab4 Posts: 280 ✭✭
    darko played 30 seconds a game so i don't consider him a factor in the pistons championship.

• Options
    Plus as you'll see with Orlando(checkout how they did after he arrived, quite a strong finish eh?) this season and in years to come as Orlando has quietly put together a soon to be contending squad. When he gets the minutes, he can be an impact player.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    There's a vast difference in winning a championship, like Wade did, and riding along, like Darko did.

• Options

<< <i>darko played 30 seconds a game so i don't consider him a factor in the pistons championship. >>

I realize, but was he not the first of the Top picks of the 2003 draft to win a title? Simple Q&A. Don't let espn and other outlets fool you into thinking Wade was the first.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    fab4fab4 Posts: 280 ✭✭
    everybody has ESPN and we all have USA today and 500 talk radio shows a days, so everybody knows darco won a championship.

that is like being the fastest reader in the remedial class (not a big accomplishment)
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Darko won the first title of that draft class. >>

imageimageimage

Darkko was Larry Brown's "victory cigar" that year!!
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Is this a real argument? C'mon - Wade led Miami to this title, Darko was essentially the Pistons waterboy and a nonfactor.

Congrats to the Heat, and their fans - and Wade is beginning a special career.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this a real argument? C'mon - Wade led Miami to this title, Darko was essentially the Pistons waterboy and a nonfactor.

Congrats to the Heat, and their fans - and Wade is beginning a special career. >>

I think Topps was kidding about Darkko. Imagine how good the Pistons would be if they took Wade instead!!
  • Options
    Wade led Miami to this title

• Options
    topps wasn't kidding about darko, he's simply being argumentative.

Congrats, Heat fans.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I wish the Lakers had traded Kobe for Wade and kept Shaq.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>I wish the Lakers had traded Kobe for Wade and kept Shaq. >>

I bet a lot of laker fans share your feelings.
  • Options
    Basically the Lakers ended up with Odom for Shaq(Since Caron was shipped to Washington for Kwame). Now had Shaq been traded for Wade(even though from all acounts Wade was not for trade) that would've been one heckuva backcourt.

Congrats to the Heat, hopefully my NJ Nets can bring in someone without losing anyone from the Big 4. Any teams looking for 2 first round picks lol?

BTW, I wasn't being serious about Darko. Even tho what I said was true, and yes I am of course in agreement that Darko literally had nothing to do with the Pistons championship.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    Very disappointed with the Mavs. They played great ball, but it was so herky jerky throughout this series. They didn't want it as badly.

Before the game they interviewed Jet, and he basically said..."we're going to let it all hang out". It didn't sound like a focused and determined team. The distractions of Cuban, Stackhouse, etc seemed like alot for a first year team to deal with. I hope it's a stepping stone for them, but they aren't guaranteed more Finals appearances.

It is nice to see GP and Zo finally get a ring. Great series.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    WADE = WOW!! WADE = WOW!!image WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!
  • Options
    So does the Wade onslaught of cards and gear on ebay begin?
  • Options

<< <i>So does the Wade onslaught of cards and gear on ebay begin? >>

I think it's been happening for the last year or so already - I sold a lot of his rookies for nice profits, but maybe not as much as I could get now...

Carmelo who?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great game last nite!

Interesting that Riley said he packed ONE suit, One tie, One shirt...

What no underwear?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Riles goes commando.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Congrats to the NBA Champion Miami Heat! Dwayne Wade is unreal! I guess that I should send in my autographed flair die cut card. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Miami is ordering 3 extra rings to give to the referees....
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • Options

<< <i>Miami is ordering 3 extra rings to give to the referees.... >>

Mark Cuban, is that you?
  • Options
    If it was he'd make sure everyone knew so.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Dallas had the goods, but Wade, Shaq and Riley made the difference. Wade is just unreal all around. Not explosive, just fundamentaly and executionally more effective than anyone else. Shaq saw this, and Riley let it flow along with leadership and developing the right supporting cast. I love the enthusiasm of the Dallas crew - from owner to coach to players, but .....there is always next year.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Funny that with all the hype of Lebron and Carmello, Wade is the first of that class to win a title, and looks to be the best pro player of the group. >>

Not that I'm taking anything away from Wade, but I think Shaq is the key to that team or any team he is on. Kobe was the greatest thing since Jordan when he had Shaq and now with all the Wade hype. Give the big man his due.

And for the record, I'd take a Shaq/Lebron duo over a Shaq/Wade or Shaq/Kobe or Shaq/anybody else playing right now duo.
  • Options
    How do you feel Shaq was the key to winning that championship?

Granted, he played a key role, the fact he only played 30 minutes of game 6, tells me Wade deserved every bit of that MVP.

Lebron is a great player, but I don't see him consistently taking over games like Wade does, making his team better, and he never seems to make a mistake.
  • Options
    ^^The Heat weren't contenders pre-Shaq. With him, they were instance title favorites. A key role is an understatement. You really think with Mourning starting(even tho it's been shown he doesn't have it in him anymore) and Doleac at C the Heat would've made it nearly this far?
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Would they have made it that far without Wade?

Look I said he was important, but the difference maker, especially in the finals, was Wade.
  • Options
    Did I say anything about Wade? Nope. Did I say Shaq was the MVP? Nope. But they wouldn't have gotten to the Finals without Shaq.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Forget about Shaq...if he had made some free throws, the series would have been over sooner. The sun has really set on his career, at the same time, it's shining on Wade.....however, Alonzo Mourning showed up big time in his role....nice guy to have coming off the bench...
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • Options

<< <i>Did I say anything about Wade? Nope. Did I say Shaq was the MVP? Nope. But they wouldn't have gotten to the Finals without Shaq. >>

And they wouldn't have gotten to the playoffs without Wade.

• Options
    lol. Yeah....right. I guess adding Antione Walker, James Posey, Jason Williams, and Gary Payton on an already potent squad wouldn't have gotten the Heat anywhere. Riiiiggggghhhhtttt buddy.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>lol. Yeah....right. I guess adding Antione Walker, James Posey, Jason Williams, and Gary Payton on an already potent squad wouldn't have gotten the Heat anywhere. Riiiiggggghhhhtttt buddy. >>

haha

Do you actually read your posts before you hit 'reply'?

• Options

<< <i>lol. Yeah....right. I guess adding Antione Walker, James Posey, Jason Williams, and Gary Payton on an already potent squad wouldn't have gotten the Heat anywhere. Riiiiggggghhhhtttt buddy. >>

Posey played some key minutes, and Payton hit a few clutch shots - but c'mon. Jason Williams? Antoine Walker?? Were those bums even at any of the NBA Finals games? Wade is the main reason they won, he took just about every key shot and foul shot, and Shaq provided his usual prescence minus some of his usual scoring. If anything, Alonzo Mourning was more important than any of those 4 guys you mentioned, but take Wade out, and you have a team that misses the playoffs. By a quite a bit, actually.
  • Options
    It's a team game. Without Wade, no championsip. Without Shaq and cast, no championship. Pissing on any of them is silly if you are a basketball fan who knows anything.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the NBA was out on strike?
  • Options
    Go back to your hibernation, Steve.

• Options

<< <i>

Posey played some key minutes, and Payton hit a few clutch shots - but c'mon. Jason Williams? Antoine Walker?? Were those bums even at any of the NBA Finals games? Wade is the main reason they won, he took just about every key shot and foul shot, and Shaq provided his usual prescence minus some of his usual scoring. If anything, Alonzo Mourning was more important than any of those 4 guys you mentioned, but take Wade out, and you have a team that misses the playoffs. By a quite a bit, actually. >>

You obviosuly didn't watch all of the games in their entirety.

Williams, Walker, Posey, and especially Haslem all contributed significantly in the finals series.
  • Options
    But how much did they contribute in the regular season, and do you honestly think you could count on them to carry a team all year long?

No one is discounting the team atmosphere, but without Wade, that team would be in trouble getting to .500.
  • Options
    And what does that mean? Obviuosly many winning teams will have a key member who contributes above the rest.