Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Bunch of TOP POP 1968 and 2006 coins on the Bay

If your a Lincoln guy a POP 6/0 06-P in 67RD and an utterly stunning MS66 68-D and 68-P, both very tough coins and in the upper end for the grade.

TOP POP Sacs 06, Kennedys and Jeffersons.

68-D Jeff in MS66

Everything with zero reserve.Ebay auctions Ending Sunday and Next Tuesday

Comments

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

With regard to the 06 Lincoln in MS67, I'm still somewhat confused about this business strike vs. satin finish business and how PCGS determines which ones to designate. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't have the drive to read very much of the 700 post thread about SF's.

Pop report for 2005 shows this, which seems completely backwards to me:

Total coins graded:
    2005p - 1226 in SF; 40 in MS
    2005d - 920 in SF; 41 in MS

Is this one of yours? 2006 MS67 - $127
    Doug
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    The Business strikes are simply the ones for circulation. In fact I got $100 in rolls off of Ebay and searched through them. The satin finish I believe start off from the same hubs but then the mint treats the dies to have a frosty look. I think they powder coat them with something because you can see the finish start to smear on the latter die state coins. Some circ coins will be satin in appearance but only as a result of die wear. A few may look similar to the Satin mint set coins but side by side you can tell the difference.

The reason you see in 05 that the pops for circs are so low is that the source for nearly all the top pop Lincoln's were the Mint sets. They don't have to go through the bagging and then rolling that the coins you get at the bank do. So in 04 and earlier your best chance for finding a great coin was from a mint set. They can be found in rolls but you have to go through thousands to find a very nice one and MS69 is flat out impossible. Since last year there were no true circ strike coin in the mint sets you got very few submitted.

As for collecting its a matter of choice. I collect true circulation coins. The satin coins are pretty but so are proofs. If I wanted to collect pretty coins they would be great but I like true circulation strike coins.
  • Options
    If you are looking to build a business set for 2006, I believe this to be a great time to do it as the satin sets are not out yet. So anything that has been slabed should be business. After the end of July or so, we shall see how things go this year.

I am watching some of those for sure. I have decided to build both sets this year.

• Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Brian -

I can certainly appreciate your efforts in searching business strike lincolns. What a boring and tedious job. Just to give you all a perspective, I have searched thru only about 30 rolls of business strike 2005-P's (1500 lincolns) and I have found 2 that MAY (and I use that word lightly) be candidates for MS67. I recently sent some to Clackamas (Brian) and he generously looked at them for me. The toughest part about searching for these business strike coins is that IF you are lucky enough to find a coin with a hit-free obverse and reverse, then you are worrying about it being water spot free. image I have probably found 6 or 7 coins that are just as nice as my two candidates for 67, but they are covered with water spots...which IMHO...will forever keep them out of 68 holders (even if they had 68 characteristics).

What is the deal with the mint not drying their coins...AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!

Being that I have a 9 month old daughter and an always-on-the-go wife...I really cannot always find the time to keep searching rolls like this. This was more or less an experiment for me - buy 50 rolls of 2005-P's - and see how many winners I can make. I'll tell you one thing, if searching 50 rolls only yields me 3 or 4 coins that are worth a damn...it's really not worth it to me. It may be to others, but not to me.

Yes, I would like to have MS 67RD 2005 P & D business strike coins over the 2005 SF MS69RD coins that I currently have in my set. But, ironically, it would be considered a DOWNGRADE and I would be penalized some points for doing so. For the time being, I will continue to keep my MS69RD SF coins in my registry sets and keep my 2005 & 2006 P & D business strikes (once they have been slabbed) in the bank with the rest of my collection.

Wouldn't it make everyone happy if the Mint released a statement saying that they are going to be removing the satin finish from the coins after 2007....so they would have had three years (05',06' & 07') that were similar to what went on in 65', 66' & 67'. It would be a perfect "out" for them IMHO. image It's all about the money for the U.S. Mint these days...and pretty coins (i.e. satin finish) sell more than business strikes. What a bummer.

P.S. I should be receiving 15 mint sets in the next couple of weeks...so I am anxious to see the quality and appearance of the 2006 satin finish coins. I will be sending in 5 or 6 to be graded if the quality is there.
  • Options

<< <i>Brian -

I can certainly appreciate your efforts in searching business strike lincolns. What a boring and tedious job. >>

Yep, it is. This year I kind of like it and since I am building a set for my to be born son so it has added meaning for me. I only do it at night so there is no sunlight to alter my perception of what the coin will look like to PCGS. I use the same lamps and bulbs they use in a room with only 1 source of light. I try to mimick the pcgs grading room that way I don't get surprized when I get the grades.
  • Options
    This year I kind of like it and since I am building a set for my to be born son so it has added meaning for me.

Congrats on your soon-to-be son! That is exciting news.

You know, my 9 month-old daughter Emily is slowly becoming my excuse to put together sets as well. image I did acquire 14 different 2005 (year she was born) PR69DCAM coins and crossed them over to UCAM's at NGC and had them put them in 3 different multicoin holders. They even did a custom label with her name and birth date on it as well.

Since then, I have assembled a complete BU state quarter set for her as well as a complete BU sacagawea set that we will add to every year. When she gets old enough to understand, I sure hope it's fun for her. My wife gives me grief that every time she turns around, I'm starting a new set for my daughter. I'm beginning to wonder if the sets are actually for her or to satisfy my love for coins?! Maybe both! Whatever the case may be...at least she'll have these sets for the rest of her life. image

Best of luck to you and your wife with your little boy's arrival...whenever that may be!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to pop your bubble a little but the TOP POP for the 2006-P Kennedy is a MS68. I am looking for one of the six that have been made.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck on these sales. It will be interesting to see how they do.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Is this one of yours? 2006 MS67 - $127

Doesn't suprise me that Buckley paid that kind of money for it.
  • Options

<< <i>Is this one of yours? 2006 MS67 - $127

Doesn't suprise me that Buckley paid that kind of money for it. >>

• Options
    I added a 1969-S Jeferson in MS66.