Home Sports Talk
Options

Football Season

This is the time of year I start having withdrawls................................................and not just my fantasy fix!!!

Is there a group of board members interested in a simple league for bragging rights! or is there already one and I can join in on.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just grabbed my first Fantasy Football mag the other day, all CHARGED UP for football. No doubt in my mind Larry Johnson the clear cut # 1 overall this year. Steve Smith and Chad Johnson round off the best wideouts going in......
  • Options
    #1 Manning, P
    #2 Tomlinson
    #3 Johnson, L.
    #4 Johnson, Chad

I am not as excited about S.Smith as you, I would probably take Fitzgerald, Harrison or even Turd...I mean TO before Steve Smith! I know he had HUGE #'s again, just a feeling (and probably why year after year I never win)

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm starting to get a little excited about football. Nothing like rolling through a regular season watching the Colts, only to have my heart tore out in the playoffs. I'm actually interested in seeing how good the Colts will be. No one seems to have much of an opinion. They lost a lot and didn't add much so they could be due for a slip.

I had Steve Smith last year on my fantasty team and he was, of course, huge. But I'm like you, I don't necessarily have him as my clear cut number one receiver. A fall off is very possible.

With all due respect Chris, after looking at your top four picks, it's no wonder you lose year after year. You just can't take a quarterback number 1. At least in 99 percent of scoring systems out there. JMO.

shawn
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    99% of the time, you need to take the top RB first. Some drafts I will grab a monster receiver in the second round, depends on who's left of RB's. QB is like 4th or 5th round for me. The last 2 years, I've relied almost completely on ESPN fantasy charts for my draft and I've taken 1st and 2nd. Those guys really know their football. I always here people with all the "sleepers" that they bet whole draft on by taking them in the 2nd round or something. That's always leads to getting burned. People speak as though they know more about football than experts who get paid to study it all day long. Oh well, you need those people in your draft to ensure your payday.
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    I grabbed Carson Palmer in the 6th round last year. I never take a QB early.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I would pick TO over Smith as welll, and possibly CJ - depends on Carson Palmer's situation.

LT would give a slight nod over Larry Johnson as well.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I typically go RB-RB in the first two rounds, depending on my draft position.

Good solid WRs and matchups have, for me at least, been easier to pick up in free agency than RBs.

• Options
    how can you guys take Chad Johnson, T.O, or Steve Smith and not even mention Torry Holt?? He has the best numbers out of ANY WR for his first 6 years EVER (including Rice)

BTW

Tomlinson should be the #1 back, not LJ. And The number 1 qb will be a Culpepper this season
    Looking to Trade and Buy Tony Romo GU/Autos/RCS
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    # 1 Larry Johnson
    # 2 Tomlinson
    # 3 Alexander
    # 4 Tiki Barber
    # 5 Portis

Top 5 picks IMO Good point about Holt but I still like Smith and CJ (depending on Palmer's status ofcourse) I think the Colts will be fine, it is EDGE that wont be though, that AZ line just cannot open up holes for anyone, I see EDGE getting about 800 yds and like 6 TDS.
  • Options
    Guys - I have got Stuck grabbing QB's to late, I agree RB's are the #1 priority, BUT in a super competitive league you can make due with 1 solid back and 2/3 OK backs to fill in during bye weeks and playing matchup in the 2nd RB position. But if your dealing with Greise,McNair or Brunell as your primary QB - WELL your not going too far! I try to snag 1QB,1RB and 1 WR right from the get go then back and forth on WR and RB then Team Defence before TE, and TE before K. Though I have not held the trophy yet - I've been close!
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    the problem with QBs is they are never likely to play all 16 games, match up problems always exist, and there are so many second tier QBs that are identical, I don't see how you can justify a second (hell, or third) round pick on them.

Griese will not win you week in and week out, but there will be times when the matchups are way in his favor. Gotta play the matchups.