Home Metal Detecting
Options

This weekend's goodie's!!

Made some cool find's this weekend and I even had the marble set on my detectorimage

Here is my first goodie,it is a very unusual button.It has a belt w/buckle design and is a one piece.

Next is this tokenimagene side has the California state seal and has alot of great detail.

other side:Truckee Carnival.This is from the Truckee winter carnival that was started in 1891 and is still going to this day.As for the age of the token,I can only take a guess.The maker is Moise S.F. after doing a search,the company operated till 1930 and then was sold to another company.This token may be from either the 1890's or early 1900's,but am still doing some research on that.

Here are the marble's,got a few clay and some glass one's.

Here is a groups shot of some more find's.Part of a spoon or fork and say's "Central House",nice flower button and on the back say's fine guilt,amusement token and a flattened piece of jewelry.

Thank's for looking and HH,Tom

Comments

• Options
    Cool finds, Tom.

You always manage to find cool stuff. I went out couple of days ago a found a butter knife and 3 Wheaties. image
  • Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭
    Cool token, what's it made of?
  • Options
    Cool stuff Tom!

The button looks neat!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thank's guy's,Coinnut it is made out of brass.

A little current info on it,while trying to find out more info on this token I cam across the Truckee Historical society's web page.
    So I emailed them with the question of age and a picture of the token.
    Gordon the guy that wrote me back that night,told me the the slide pictured on the token was built in 1895 and tore down in 1897.But the token may not be from the time frame of the slide.It may be from a later Winter Carnival held.He said he would look some more and let me know if he find's anymore on it.HH,Tom
  • Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that token is fantastic. Could be a "So Called Dollar", maybe?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TheGuyTheGuy Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Great finds there, those are pretty cool. image
    "Sometimes we don't know just what to do when adversity takes over." -- Cannonball Adderley
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, that token is fantastic. Could be a "So Called Dollar", maybe? >>

How right you are!! An HK-729 to be exact.....

See this link for an excerpt from the So-Called Dollar Book:
    Picture too big to post...

Truckee So-called Dollar - HK729

I would assume this piece, in the condition shown, to be worth approximately $10 to $25..

Hope this helps
    John
    Evergreen, Colorado

cadmanco
  • Options
    Thank's Cadmanco that is some great info.Now my question is,what is a so called dollar??Never heard that before.HH,Tom
  • Options

Tom,

"Since about the 1880's coin collectors and dealers alike have used the term "so-called dollars" to designate medals of a near-dollar size, at first of a commerative or exposition nature, later of a monetary kind. Extension of the term now includes certain kindred pieces not otherwise specifically indentified. Such medals have grown in popularity and importance to the extent that they have achieved an independent status and represent a separate and distinct series of their own." This is basically quoted from the book authored by Harold E. Hibler and Charles V. Kappen and published in 1963. The book was named "SO-CALLED DOLLARS" and itself is very collectible today. Many of these medals were struck by the US Mint at the various expositions and fairs, many others are struck by 3rd parties. There are around 1000 different listed in the book, with new publications soon (I hope) to arrive for sale. Many of the US Mint items are of extreme rarity. If you do a search on eBay at any given time for "so-called dollar" you will seen around 100 more or less...of varied types and metals.

Your piece is very tough to come by... If it were in pristine sahpe, it would probably bring $200-$400 in todays marketplace.

I have collected US Coins for almost 50 years, with so-called dollars being my arena of collecting for about the last 10 years. I enjoy their variety, rarity and history associated with the various issues.

Hope this helps some...

Good Find!!
    John
    Evergreen, Colorado

cadmanco
  • Options
    Thank's again for that info Cadmanco.
    Man you alway's learn something new from this hobbie,that is some real interesting history to know about.
    I may have to look into getting one of those book's.I have volume's 1&2 of Album's California Token's book's and Albert's button book took.

I emailed the info you posted here to the Truckee historical society and also informed them that if they had a mueseum that I would like to donate the piece to them to be displayed for all to see.
    When I first emailed them they did not even know of this piece and they have to do alot of there research through old new's paper's.

Thank's again and HH,Tom
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cadmanco- thanks for validating my hunch. I had a hunch it was a So-Called-Dollar, but know little about those. image

Oh, and BTW, Tom?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.