Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Registry News for Bust Quarter Collectors...

A month ago I contacted B.J. Searls in regards to the Registry Sets for Early Quarters.

If you look at the catagories for Early Quarters there is only one catagory and not three, one for each type (actually 4 types but the 96 is always thrown in with the Draped Bust).

It was my opinion it needed to be broken up due to the cost of trying to put together a complete set from 1796-1838. So, I thought I'd contact them and see if they would make the change.

The Decision was made at Long Beach to break it up into sub groups. I don't know if it will be 2 or 3 different sets. I'm assuming it with be 3 different sets.

-Draped Bust, 1796-1807
-Capped Bust Large Size, 1815-1828
-Capped Bust Small Size, 1831-1838

While it's a relatively short set, there are many key date and expensive coins to complete the set. I don't think there are too many series with the number of rarities as Early Quarters (well maybe Seated Dimes or Quarters). For example..1796, 1804, 1822 25/50, 1823/2, 1824/2, 1825/2, 1827 and the 1828 25/50.

If broken up it would give more collectors a chance to assemble and register their quarter sets.

We'll see how it goes and hopefully it will get more people involved with registering their Early Quarter Sets.

The change should be made sometime in July.

Thanks to B.J., David Hall, Ron and the other experts at PCGS!!!

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins

Comments

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good move. The Draped Bust and Capped Bust should have separate sets, and also a combined set, as PCGS has done with the halves. The bust dimes could be similarly set up, as NGC has done.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Steve,

Good work. This has been needed for a long time.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    Thanks Dale!!

My set is starting to shape up...picked up a couple from the Northern Bay Collection (Stacks)

Nysoto...I'm assuming they will be in addition to the existing sets. So those wishing to complete the whole series (1796-1838) will still have that opportunity.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins