Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Registry News for Bust Quarter Collectors...

A month ago I contacted B.J. Searls in regards to the Registry Sets for Early Quarters.

If you look at the catagories for Early Quarters there is only one catagory and not three, one for each type (actually 4 types but the 96 is always thrown in with the Draped Bust).

It was my opinion it needed to be broken up due to the cost of trying to put together a complete set from 1796-1838. So, I thought I'd contact them and see if they would make the change.

The Decision was made at Long Beach to break it up into sub groups. I don't know if it will be 2 or 3 different sets. I'm assuming it with be 3 different sets.

-Draped Bust, 1796-1807
-Capped Bust Large Size, 1815-1828
-Capped Bust Small Size, 1831-1838

While it's a relatively short set, there are many key date and expensive coins to complete the set. I don't think there are too many series with the number of rarities as Early Quarters (well maybe Seated Dimes or Quarters). For example..1796, 1804, 1822 25/50, 1823/2, 1824/2, 1825/2, 1827 and the 1828 25/50.

If broken up it would give more collectors a chance to assemble and register their quarter sets.

We'll see how it goes and hopefully it will get more people involved with registering their Early Quarter Sets.

The change should be made sometime in July.

Thanks to B.J., David Hall, Ron and the other experts at PCGS!!!

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if the large size and small sized Capped quarters are lumped into one set.
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i>I wouldn't be surprised if the large size and small sized Capped quarters are lumped into one set. >>

I hope they make it three??

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve,

I had inquired about that a while ago as well. They said that plans were going to be three sets.

John
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i>They said that plans were going to be three sets. >>

John...that's what I would hope for. The small size is a much more affordable set for collectors on a limited budget that would still like to participate in the Registry.

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    I just happen to glance at that registry last night and saw only one person has a set registered and even then he only has about 4-5 with one of the quarters in PO-01. Definitely tough set to put together as is.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume these registries are only for PCGS slabbed coins?

And if one likes their coins raw? SOL I guess image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I assume these registries are only for PCGS slabbed coins? And if one likes their coins raw? SOL I guess image >>

If you want to start a Raw coin registry, you probably won't get a TPG to sponsor it. It'll be fun sorting out the various grades too.

--Jerry
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    except for a registry for colonial coins, i can hardly imagine a registry more worthless then for early quarters. the huge majority are'nt even slabed (thankfully)

K S
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    That's great news. If they do break it up between 1796-1807 I'll send my AG-G6 coins to PCGS for grading and register my set. I've already got the 1805 (G-6), 1806/5 (AG), and 1807 (AG). I've got a couple in the second grouping too (1815-1828).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file