Home Metal Detecting

Need help with MXT on beach.

I took my MXT up to Crescent City California with me. I wanted to use it on the beach. It worked pretty well in the dry, loose sand that was far away from the water. I tried to use it closer to the water and it didn’t work well at all.

I did set the MXT to discriminate against salt. Then, I turned the sensitivity down; down some more, and down some more. Every time the coil got near the ground it went off … everywhere.

Because I know Zot uses an MXT and on beaches, I thought he might like to see some cuddly animals that I encountered while on vacation.

The first cuddly animal is a crab. (I don’t know what he’s holding, though.)

Seagull

My Grandmother’s Cockatiel.

A sea lion

A doe

An elk cow

An elk bull

imageimage

Comments

• Nice pics COTC!! Hope you had a good time!

If I'm not mistaken, Zot has a "water" machine as well as the MXT. Likely a PI (pulse induction) machine to handle the salty wet sand.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • One of the reasons I bought the MXT was because it had the “salt” function. I can’t figure out how to use it.
    imageimage
  • Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage

• << <i>Here are some tips that may help >>

That's a good link; a lot of discussion about my very problem.
    imageimage
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for being so slow in replying... image

Very nice pics!! image
    The sea lion's expression is hilarious! image

<< <i>The first cuddly animal is a crab. (I don’t know what he’s holding, though.) >>

On the "MXT on beaches" question, the link posted by GR has some good suggestions, I don't have much to add..
    While I sometimes use the MXT on beaches myself, I usually use my PI machine which doesn't have these ground balancing issues and allows water hunting by being waterproof.

The MXT is superior to the PI in dry sand as it enables discriminating out junk (I find about three times the number of coins with the MXT in dry sand than I do with the PI in the same time), but I'm doing more water hunting these days (rings are scarce as hen's teeth in dry sand)
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • The MXT worked great in the dry sand. I only found modern clad though. I'm looking forward to going back again so I can try a few tricks.

<< The sea lion's expression is hilarious! image >>

he'd open his eyes when he took a breath and kept them shut while he was holding his breath. I couldn't catch him with his eyes open.
    imageimage