Home Stamps Forum
Options

Stamp Collecting for Dummies

Is there a stamp collecting for dummies book out there? I never knew stamp collecting was so complicated. I saw some stamps going up for auction that interested me. However, I don't know the first thing about what's valuable and what's not, or how to tell. It seems if I decided to get deeply into stamp collecting it would take time and research that I don't currently have available. So what can someone like me, who would like to try collecting but not make a huge commitment to it, do just to wet her feet?
Though I have primary things I sale to collectors, whatever grabs me, I grab it.

Comments

• Options
    Where were the stamps from that you bought? The first thing I would do is get a Scott catalog so you can get familiar with looking for the Scott nrs. Margins are a big thing in stamps. And, don't put a hinge on anything. And keep asking questions here. Are you looking for value? Or just to have fun?

Jerry
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    There is actually one of those yellow books called "Stamp Collecting for Dummies". It looked pretty basic though. Probably the best way is to visit a stamp club meeting, stamp shows; or better yet; find a collector and/or trustful dealer who will help you.

It also depends if you are in for an investment or for collecting.
  • Options
    It doesn't have to be investing OR collecting. It CAN be both. Actually if you are going to spend a lot of money you might want to consider it an investment . Or it can be like lottery scratch offs where the FUN of scratching off little silver boxes and having small sheets of thin cardboard is what you get out of it with and very little return(except the enjoyment of spending money).