Home Metal Detecting
Options

this guy is serious

should see the actual article on aol, shows his industrial strength metal detector--this guy reminds me of a few of you guys image

Gold Hunter Digs 60-Foot-Deep Hole in Yard

MONTCLAIR, Calif. (June 15) - A homeowner digging for gold in his front yard said he got "carried away" and ended up with a 60-foot-deep hole, authorities said.
Henry Mora, 63, began digging 10 days ago after his gold detector reported a positive hit near his front patio. He told authorities he only intended to go down three or four feet.
"I figured, well, maybe there's something down there - you would logically conclude, right? So I started digging," the semiretired musician said.
He started finding gold dust in the dirt and the detector kept hinting that he was getting closer, so he kept digging.
"It was still beeping, and that just gave me the idea to keep digging," he said.
Fire officials called to the scene Tuesday found two men that Mora hired were inside the hole, using a bucket and rope to remove dirt.
"We told him, 'You're done,"' said Montclair fire Capt. Rich Baldwin. "It's amazing no one got killed."
Authorities fenced off the property.
06/15/06 06:57 EDT

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Comments

• Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Another 6 inches and he would have found it.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    Was one of the diggers wearing a holey coin vest???image
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>Was one of the diggers wearing a holey coin vest???image >>

wheres minivan, thought he would have weighed in on this one by now.

you should see the picture of the detector this guy was using, caption said industrial strength. The coil was at least 3 1/2 feet wide give or take. would dust set off a signal that big that you would wanna dig that deep?

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    I actually saw this story on local news station. I figured, yeah, deep hole. WHo cares...his property....Then I saw his property was like in an old crowded suburb....his yard was maybe 15X15 from the looks of....where the hell was he putting all the dirt??
  • Options

<< <i>you should see the picture of the detector this guy was using, caption said industrial strength. The coil was at least 3 1/2 feet wide give or take. would dust set off a signal that big that you would wanna dig that deep? >>

It kind of resembles the Treasure Hound coil for my GTI 2500 seen here.

These coils are mainly used to find large items like caches of cannon balls and such at great depths (3 feet or better). They are pretty useless to find objects much smaller than a pop can let alone gold dust.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>you should see the picture of the detector this guy was using, caption said industrial strength. The coil was at least 3 1/2 feet wide give or take. would dust set off a signal that big that you would wanna dig that deep? >>

It kind of resembles the Treasure Hound coil for my GTI 2500 seen here.

These coils are mainly used to find large items like caches of cannon balls and such at great depths (3 feet or better). They are pretty useless to find objects much smaller than a pop can let alone gold dust. >>

that looks like the one they showed in pics. hmm maybe all the signals hes getting is a cannonball image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the guy in Erskine Caldwell's book "God's Little Acre".
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    haha yea that was in the local news, montclair/Oakland, Ca. The guy hired two day laborers, its amazing how nice of a hole they dug...haha
    Love them busts!
    I am Looking to Buy California Tokens too.