Home Metal Detecting
Options

Need some advice on choosing locations.

This is probably the most addicting hobby I have ever attempted. I was with my two daughters last night exploring an old home site and my girls were very anxious everytime I laid the MD down and started to dig. They said the mystery of what might be there is so overwhelming and it holds their attention for hours. I tend to agree with them.

What would be some good locations for detecting? I see all of these threads showing off your finds and they are definately very nice finds. Especially the silver coins and the wheaties. What type of areas are you finding these items.

Yesterday evening we only had about 45 minutes to look and about all we found was an old brass bell that was cracked like the Liberty Bell. Interesting item but I want to find more interesting stuff.

Anyone have anything they want to share? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    i could list a bunch of places but i'm not.......do some research, talk with the old timers and try to find some old "gathering spots" from years gone by......nothing is better than doing your homework, planning your hunt, and succeeding!....there are some goods books on the subject as well....."where to find treasure" by dick stout is a good one......well it looks like you got the fever, so i'm sure we will be seeing some interesting post from you in the future....good luck

this is a view from a spot i did research on......i found 8 coins from 1868- 1910
    it was a rewarding hunt that started with research last fall, and finished with the hunt this spring.
    remember, if you can't hunt for some reason or another, do research instead....i think your finds will get better.
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    If you want to find the old coins, you need to track down the older places where people congregated... parks, schools, out-door stages/arenas, tent meetings, etc. I'd recommend that you take the kids down to the Library and show them the local history section. Those books should contain details that will give you ideas about where you will want to detect (places where many people would've dropped coins, and the age of the site determines what types of coins you'd find there). Sounds like a library field trip with your kids is in the near future and should be a fun lesson that ties into their new hobby! Hope this helps and have fun... image

Rick
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    the first thing i did when first started in 1986, was get 2 maps. get a current date map and then one from maybe a 100 years back. drive through the areas that are on the old map. compare that one to your modern one. note where the schools and parks are. find where the old neighborhoods are. try searching the parking strips there.( the grass or dirt area between the street and sidewalk)

my steady success comes from knowing where all the old areas are. a good knowledge in your areas history helps alot. remember the detector is just a tool. its takes actual work, research and driving around to find the "good stuff".
  • Options
    All good information! Thanks for the help and yes, I will be visiting the Library to check out some good books on this subject. Again, thanks for the replies.