Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

jeffersons gone wild

Nickel 1942S Full Steps PCGS 66
$210 $220

here's some current prices for non full step jefferson 5c's on an auction going on tonight - what is this world coming to ?

1123 Nickel 1966 PCGS 66
$130 $140

Nickel 1967 PCGS 66
$525 $550

Nickel 1969D PCGS 66
$160 $170

Nickel 1969S PCGS 66
$525 $550

Nickel 1970D PCGS 66
$250 $260

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1123 Nickel 1966 PCGS 66
    $130 $140 >>

That's cheap compared to one that sold a few days ago for $450 plus the juice.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    these seem to be hard to make in the 60's, I don't know why but maybe I need to send a roll or too in.
  • Options
    the 67 unc is up to $525 already. this is so nuts. like ar said, time to send a roll or two in.
  • Options
    too late. I've had 35 1967 nickels at pcgs now for 3 weeks image
  • Options
    Thats alright I have 50 rolls of 1966's just sitting in the cornerimage
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! That is kindda high for MS-66 compared to what they've been going for.

They are tough in 66 but without steps they are doable.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    lr, let us know how you do.
  • Options
    Too be fair pcgs (these days) require nearly complete detail in the hair, and doors and windows of the monticello, to get an ms66 grade. That is exceedingly tough to find such on these dates, esp 1967. (Ngc will give an ms67 grade for example to clean coins with not great strikes, and such coins are not esp rare). That 1967 is a pretty nice coin. There's a few others in pcgs ms66 holders (pictured in reg sets even) that would no way grade ms66 today. It's only a pop 11 or 12 coin with none in FS period, so I don't know why you would expect it to be cheap.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    for anything 65 or higher in the 65,66,67 years

they usually come with SMS designation

whether deserving or not
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Thats seems pretty fair 42-S in 66FS. Its a POP 9/0 in 67FS. Look at what 44-P's go for in 66FS, same POP

The 69-S seems spendy. The 69-S, IMO, one will be made someday in FS but the 69-D will never be found in FS.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>for anything 65 or higher in the 65,66,67 years they usually come with SMS designation whether deserving or not >>

I'm hoping this one crosses!

peacockcoins

• Options
    You'll be lucky if it even crosses to ms66. Strike is the issue and pcgs and ngc view it a world apart.

So I bid $475 on the 69-d on teletrade, but got outibid. Looks like it realized $500 before bp.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all the late '60's dates are difficult. the 1965-1967 issues have the added confusion of frequently being mistaken as SMS coins. i would suggest everyone who thinks they have MS66 examples for the dates from 1965-1970 to submit them. you may get a quick lesson in grading the series which upsets your stomach.
  • Options

<< <i>all the late '60's dates are difficult. the 1965-1967 issues have the added confusion of frequently being mistaken as SMS coins. i would suggest everyone who thinks they have MS66 examples for the dates from 1965-1970 to submit them. you may get a quick lesson in grading the series which upsets your stomach. >>

I have no idea how to go about finding even MS-65 examples of the '65 to '67 nickels. Judging
    from the many hundreds of rolls I've looked at there may not be any in rolls. But the '68 and '69
    nickels can be found as real nice gems in the mint sets. You'll need to look at a lot of sets but
    there are some nice well struck gems without FS. The '70-S can even be found with the steps.
    These '68 to '70 probably average over .1% as Ms-66 in original mint sets. And half that as they
    exist today on the market.

It's possible I'm overgrading a little and those who would try to figure total numbers extent
    should keep in mind that the lion's share of these mint sets have been destroyed over the years
    and the coins dispersed or degraded.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>

<< <i>all the late '60's dates are difficult. the 1965-1967 issues have the added confusion of frequently being mistaken as SMS coins. i would suggest everyone who thinks they have MS66 examples for the dates from 1965-1970 to submit them. you may get a quick lesson in grading the series which upsets your stomach. >>

I have no idea how to go about finding even MS-65 examples of the '65 to '67 nickels. Judging
    from the many hundreds of rolls I've looked at there may not be any in rolls. But the '68 and '69
    nickels can be found as real nice gems in the mint sets. You'll need to look at a lot of sets but
    there are some nice well struck gems without FS. The '70-S can even be found with the steps.
    These '68 to '70 probably average over .1% as Ms-66 in original mint sets. And half that as they
    exist today on the market.

It's possible I'm overgrading a little and those who would try to figure total numbers extent
    should keep in mind that the lion's share of these mint sets have been destroyed over the years
    and the coins dispersed or degraded. >>

Clad, I think your being a little too whimsical about the availability of MS66 Jefferson's from 1968 Mint sets. I have made about 1/3 the POP of MS66 for 68-D's, that is a current pop of 36. So lets see I made about 13 of them from 1800 mint sets. So less than 1:100 mint sets contain a suberb gem 68-D. Thats not easy. There ae 3 MS67 68-S's. I made two of them, again from 1800 mint sets. Even the 68's are very tough in these grades. BTW - I made two MS FS 68-S's from the 1800 sets. By any standard these are tougher coins than you let on to be.
  • Options

<< <i>

Clad, I think your being a little too whimsical about the availability of MS66 Jefferson's from 1968 Mint sets. I have made about 1/3 the POP of MS66 for 68-D's, that is a current pop of 36. So lets see I made about 13 of them from 1800 mint sets. So less than 1:100 mint sets contain a suberb gem 68-D. Thats not easy. There ae 3 MS67 68-S's. I made two of them, again from 1800 mint sets. Even the 68's are very tough in these grades. BTW - I made two MS FS 68-S's from the 1800 sets. By any standard these are tougher coins than you let on to be. >>

The '68-D is a relatively easy one to find pretty clean with a good strike. A lot of them are kept
    from high grade by gashes and cuts.

With a mintage of over 2,000,000, the 1,800 you looked at is a mere drop in the bucket and I
    suspect you lucked into a run or two of gems for this date. Finding 3 MS-67 '68-S's is also pret-
    ty spectacular luck. The fact that this batch accounts for so high a percentage of these would
    seem to bear this out. Remember that you looked at less than one in a thousand and they ac-
    count for significant percentages of the pops for these.

Mint set were filled consecutively and then shipped by zip code in those days. It was typical for
    the gems to bunch up in certain locations and possible for all the gems to be in a single location.
    For most coins though, it is possible to get a very good idea of what exists by sampling. Scarcer
    items are more difficult.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I agree with Russ, in regard to the '66 in MS66...I had the #7 set in Modern Jeffs, sold them off, oh, two years ago-maybe a little more- and at that time, the '66 was a pop 14/0, now its a pop 23/0 and I got $150 for it back then. On the other hand, my '67 in MS66 went for $500 (someone on these boards brokered the sale and it sits in a well known Jeff set, wont name any names) when that was a pop 4/2, now its a pop 13/2...so, the price on the '67 seems high to me. The '69-D, well, I dont even want to discuss that one, as its the only one I lost money on, and the pop WAS 10/0 back then, and its only a pop 13/0 now, so I think that price of $160-$170 (assuming thats what it sold for), seems like the buyer did pretty well to me. Lastly, the '69-S, when it was a pop 8/1, I got $100 for, and thought it was a good sale...but what it just went for, thats high to me, as its a pop 10/1 now. Dont get me wrong...ALL very VERY tough to get in those grades.....

I did track prices just after I sold my set off, and back then, VERY shortly after I sold them off, my '67 in MS66 went for $690 (cant remember the venue), and the '69-S went for $207 (again, cant remember the venue), but these were flipped by the buyer of mine....just my 2 cents worth on this topic.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting post by Petarded..........................

considering that these coins are available by the boatload(if you agree with Cladkings assessment), that the series is at perhaps it's pinnacle of interest and collector involvement, that those same collectors are willing to lay down the money for the gems, why aren't more coins being found??? as i've said ad nauseum, most recently about some early 1960's issues, the answer is because they almost certainly don't exist in the numbers that many non-searchers assume they should-would-do. all the postulating about how the sets are assembled and how the gems end up in bunches at certain locales still fails to have them existing in the numbers many presume; again, because they almost certainly don't exist.

at a time when premiums are high and interested collectors know what to look for, the number of gems certified continue to be low for the years in question, rising at an almost predictable rate over time. i find it astonishing that for other more classic series with established scarcity there would be no talk about "over-pricing" with low pop issues, yet with modern series' there continues to be talk by non-searchers that the coins exist in large numbers in the higher grades.

It's possible I'm overgrading a little-----A lot of them are kept from high grade by gashes and cuts./Cladking.

this is exactly the reason why there are so few coins in the grades being discussed and probably the reason why you mistake the available numbers. coins which would grade MS64 with perhaps three steps are the norm and the excuse that PCGS is grading tough will always be the excuse for the low grades. i siggest some subjective comparing.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Tell me about it.

Did not Clackamas say that in only 1800 mint sets that there were 13 (1/ 3 the total) of MS-66
    '68-D's? It stands to reason that if this is typical then there will be hundreds more found. My con-
    tention is that the average is closer to one in a thousand for these dates though the '68-D is
    easier than most of the others.

In my experience, if you look at large numbers of mint sets then you can find almost anything.
    Some things you have to figure in the hundreds and some in the thousands. The others may or
    may not exist at all.

I'd have preferred to take this to PM's but then that wouldn't be fair to those who have an interest.

This is not to say that I agree with those who claim there are mountains of these things out there
    just waiting to be found. There aren't. In some cases there were mountains made but that was
    two generations ago and this kind of mountain erodes very rapidly.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>This is not to say that I agree with those who claim there are mountains of these things out there
    just waiting to be found. There aren't. In some cases there were mountains made but that was
    two generations ago and this kind of mountain erodes very rapidly. >>

In 1963, there was a mountain in Alaska adjacent to the Grant Ice Field.

In 1964 there was a 9.2 Richter earthquake there.

If you went there in 1965, you would see the mountain was no longer there, and there is a 3ft thick layer of very dirty ice spread all across the vast Grant Ice Field.

The mountain was literally shaken apart and turned to dirt.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options

<< <i>

In 1963, there was a mountain in Alaska adjacent to the Grant Ice Field.

In 1964 there was a 9.2 Richter earthquake there.

If you went there in 1965, you would see the mountain was no longer there, and there is a 3ft thick layer of very dirty ice spread all across the vast Grant Ice Field.

The mountain was literally shaken apart and turned to dirt. >>

Wait till the quake in moderns happens.

I was looking at the NGC pops the other day and couldn't believe it. Ikes had
    pops in the hundreds where Morgans were often in the hundreds of thousands.
    Yet the Ikes sell for hundreds and the Morgans sell for thousands.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    larrynjlarrynj Posts: 535
    i wonder how many unsearched bu rolls and bags exist out there. prices like these will spur some searching, and i wouldn't be surprised if many high quality pcs turn up. submissions are a direct result of the possible value one can gain with the right grades. in the past, most values did not warrant the cost of a submission.

for many years, while searching rolls trying to build a fs set, i cashed the rolls in at the bank for face value after searching. many rolls were purchased for $3-$4. at most and weren't worth the effort to re-sell at that small premium. i do recall many, many rolls of 70-d in prooflike hi-grades, 68-d, 69-ds, also were really stunning lustrous pieces, and it hurt me to cash them in, but they were just taking up space.

i looked thru a bag of 68-s, not a single full step coin, and most were real crap as far as grade as well, although these were turning up with full steps in the 70's.
  • Options

<< <i>i wonder how many unsearched bu rolls and bags exist out there. prices like these will spur some searching, and i wouldn't be surprised if many high quality pcs turn up. submissions are a direct result of the possible value one can gain with the right grades. in the past, most values did not warrant the cost of a submission.
    >>

I disagree for two reasons. The first and more important is that there are very few
    gems in bags and rolls. You might find steps from this source but gems are very few
    and far between. Secondly is that there simply weren't as many coins saved after
    1964. It's true there were a lot more nickels than dimes or quarters but these num-
    bers are very low compared to the earlier coins.

While high grade pops are bound to increase as more sets, bags, and rolls are searched,
    it is the lower grades that will make up most of the pop increases in the future. Increas-
    ing prices will also mean increasing prices in the lower grades which will get them sub-
    mitted as well.

As to numbers; I'd guess there are only between one million to one and a half million
    of these early dates still existant in rolls and bags for most dates though some are
    significantly less and some are a little more.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Everytime I see this thread title, it reminds me of the videos image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Even though the prices seem high, doesn't it make sense that there have to be more nickel collectors due to the new issues and with that fewer of higher grade available to more collectors? (new collectors)

Simple supply and demand is the way I see it.

I think the prices might rise alittle higher in the next year or 2 until the newness of the new design issues wear off.

penny collectors are in the greatest number in the US and I think with the new nickel designs, the nickel stepped out of the gutter in terms of new collectors.

this is just my opinion and for the jokers out there, yea you have one too, and sometimes you may be one. (cut you off at the pass)

• Options
    larrynjlarrynj Posts: 535

<< <i>Everytime I see this thread title, it reminds me of the videos image >>

lol, that's what i was thinking when i posted the title. i wondered if anyone got it or not.

here's the p/r'd from those lots - check out the 69-s - wow!

Nickel 1966 PCGS 66
    $230

2219:1124
    Jun14, 2006 Nickel 1967 PCGS 66
    $550

2219:1126
    Jun14, 2006 Nickel 1969D PCGS 66
    $575

2219:1127
    Jun14, 2006 Nickel 1969S PCGS 66
    $1,150

2219:1128
    Jun14, 2006 Nickel 1970D PCGS 66
    $625
  • Options
    Damn, thats the second '69-S in 66 from TT that fetched over $1,000. The last one, I think there was a thread about it, fetched $1,850 in April. Looks like I shoulda waited to sell...at least the '69-S....quite sobering, yet so unfulfilling....now, if I only had a gun with just ONE bullet in it.....image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file