Home Sports Talk
Options

German & Polish hooligans at world cup

I thought this wasen't supposed to happen at the world cup. image

At least 120 German hooligans were arrested Wednesday after clashing with police before a World Cup game between Germany and Poland, authorities said.

Police spotted a crowd of people known to be hardcore hooligans in a central square and surrounded them, according to spokesman Gerog Blaszyk. When the officers moved in, he said, the fans began throwing bottles and shooting fireworks as they fought police in riot gear.

Details were still emerging from a chaotic situation. At least one fan was seen receiving treatment for facial cuts.

In a separate incident, German hooligans also attacked police near the jumbo screen that shows soccer games in the 32-team tournament. No other details were immediately available.

For much of the day, German police had been working with their Polish counterparts to identify and arrest Polish hooligans from the throngs massing for the match between the neighboring countries. At least 60 Poles were arrested and did not offer resistance, police said.

That operation started early and included four men found to have knives near the stadium, police said.

"Our Polish spotters identified them as their troublemakers from back home," Dortmund police spokeswoman Saskia Schneider said.

Under German law, people can be held up to 48 hours if police think they may commit a crime.

Comments

• Options
    So what else is new? I've got German & Polish hooligans in my apartment building!
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    How is this any different than the hooligans here in the states, who light cars on fire and riot when their teams win championships (see: LA, Detroit, others).

• Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    The English should feel ashamed letting other countries steal their hooligan thunder image

Seriously though, at least neither of the team buses got mooned by the rowdy fans. The last thing we need is a soccer team traumatized by the sight of the opposing fans' asses.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Seriously though, at least neither of the team buses got mooned by the rowdy fans. The last thing we need is a soccer team traumatized by the sight of the opposing fans' asses. >>

Joe Buck would have a heart attack if that happened!
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Ax, evidently you have neither been to a soccer game in Europe or witnessed what goes on. The riots that happened here were isolated incidents by fools who were probably not even real fans and rather just jerks looking for trouble. In Europe they are a culture unto themselves who are very hardcore about their rowdiness. There have been many incidents of extreme violence before, during, and after the games, including murders of referees and the like. Comparing what goes on over there, in South America, and other soccer hotbeds to a couple of incidents here is way off base and shows ignorance on your part once again.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    The fans that rioted in the streets of Detroit and LA look to be every bit as rowdy as the riots overseas.

I am sorry you feel your superior nature thinks that there's no possible way they can be on the same level, but, alas, they are. They may take their sports to a more extreme level, but, in the end, violence is violence.

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    gee, I guess the German's are still ticked over that debacle they called WWII....were they picking on the poor Polish again....maybe
    on their way to dominate France and mighty Belgium....or was it togo...or quizno...can't remember.

In other news France and Italy played to a 0-0 tie...that is also the number of wars each country has won.

Im picking the US in a slaughter of Italy 2-1.......watch out for the crazy American who goes over and hits up the deodorant during the
    "extra time"

U-S-A U-S-A- U-S-A

Sincerely,
    Pillaging, Murdering, and Hooliganity.
  • Options
    michigan, seeing as the only 2 other recent posts of yours that i can remember are (1) whether mr. taco fast food chain is still around and (2) where you can find soda in 3 liter bottles, i am not surprised in the slightest that soccer is not your game. image
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>The fans that rioted in the streets of Detroit and LA look to be every bit as rowdy as the riots overseas.

I am sorry you feel your superior nature thinks that there's no possible way they can be on the same level, but, alas, they are. They may take their sports to a more extreme level, but, in the end, violence is violence. >>

No, 'violence is not violence'. As with any thing else there are degrees of extremity, and those have to be accounted for. Also, Amercian fans tend to limit their rioting and looting to occasions when their team has actually won something. You don't see the Bronx turned upside down every time the Yankees win a playoff game in the divisional round.

I have no doubt that the reports of soccer violence are somewhat overblown. But some of what goes on is just totally inexcusable, and does not go on here. When was the last time you or anyone you know was hit by a bag of human turds at a sporting event? I'm guessing it's been a while, but if you were an Arsenal fan at a Man U game it happened to you this past year. Once people start sneaking in Ziploc baggies in their socks, with the intention of filling them with poop in the bathroom and hurling said bags at opposing fans you know it's time for a reality check. Or look at what happened to team USA in Mexico, where bags of pee, batteries, and Christ knows what else were cascading down on the players once the opening gun sounded. Philly fans can get out of hand (booing Santa Claus, etc.), but boorish fan behavior seems like it's taken to a whole new level by nations which feature soccer as a primary sport.
  • Options
    I have no doubt that soccer fans' violence is absolutely there, and the bags of crap is an absolutely disgusting display.

I've seen batteries thrown at players, I've seen fans applauding the injuring of opposing players, I've seen cars overturned and lit on fire in a 'celebration'...these things happen both after championships and during the course of the season.

None of them are excusable...but I think we are kidding ourselves if we try to say fans here aren't every bit as reprehensible as those overseas.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The fans that rioted in the streets of Detroit and LA look to be every bit as rowdy as the riots overseas. >>

theyre not.. some soccer fans overseas go specifically to fight..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    theyre not.. some soccer fans overseas go specifically to fight..

ever been to a raider game?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    ah yes, the Raiders...in L.A. a beautiful, distant memory...will never forget a Monday nighter in '84 vs San Diego, sat behind the goal posts at the Coliseum and watched the most incredible behavior....they played a game, too, but the show was in the stands, however these people would not play in Europe....I've seen how locals in Germany react to just a Parks & Rec soccer victory, can only imagine how it is on a big scale, but Raider Nation is the closest we can come to hooliganism, without the bags of poo, and the constant beatings and such....I know the LAPD doesn't miss 'em!image
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    One interesting point: When we talk about the rioting in Detroit we're basically talking about the burning car that occured after the 1984 World Series. The fact that nothing like this has occured after any of the six professional sports titles that the city has won since (three for the Pistons and three for the Wings), and the fact that people STILL talk about this despite the fact that it occured 22 years ago this Oct., is evidence enough that behavior of that sort is more the exception than the rule.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    So called hooligans go to games solely for the purpose to fight; it's not for a celebration for a victory or the bitterness of a loss. Yes, there have been riots after championship wins but this is completely different and there is a clear difference between the two.

FYI - At least three of the men that were arrested had knifes on them. These guys were known hooligans and have been arrested numerous times in the past.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    and america has the bloods and the crips.. what exactly is your point?
  • Options

<< <i>So called hooligans go to games solely for the purpose to fight; it's not for a celebration for a victory or the bitterness of a loss. Yes, there have been riots after championship wins but this is completely different and there is a clear difference between the two. >>

So people who go out in the streets to riot after a big game and don't have a vested interest in the game itself are different from 'hooligans' how?

I think a distinction is being drawn where none should exist.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Sure, if people went to games or events that were put together for a game, with zero intention to watch said game and only there to cause violence, then yes, they are hooligans.

Please keep in mind that this isn't just for a championship that the hooligans show up, it's for every single game. Do you hear about fights or scuffles in the US at every regular season game and/or parties for said game? No, you don't.

Hence the difference.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>The fans that rioted in the streets of Detroit and LA look to be every bit as rowdy as the riots overseas.

I am sorry you feel your superior nature thinks that there's no possible way they can be on the same level, but, alas, they are. They may take their sports to a more extreme level, but, in the end, violence is violence. >>

I hope you are only mentioning Detroit from the championships won in the 80s. I was out in party central for all three of the Stanley Cup wins of recent years, and with the exception of a few arrests of public drunkenness, and perhaps a window broken here and there, crowds maintained themselves well. I did not hear anything negatively about the Pistons championship a couple years ago either, but I was not out partying. Please do not confuse Michigan State University with Detroit, because fans have done quite well in Detroit keeping the calmness during the celebrations.