Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are you going to buy a gold Proof Buffalo....?

At $875? I sure won't.

Comments

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Not yet. I'm poor.
  • No proof for me, but I'll definitely get the uncirculated version if the gold price stays in range.
  • JapanJohnJapanJohn Posts: 2,030
    I was going to and even stated that if I could afford $700 I could afford the price if it matched the AGE.

Of course that was before Gold dropped massively and I've changed my tune. No Gold Buffalo for me at $875. They've lost their mind.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Are there only proofs, or will there be business strikes as well?

I will buy one, but I prefer a business strike over a proof.
  • not from the mint. if they drop on the aftermarket maybe.
    by the looks of the poll so far, there may not be much of an aftermaket.
  • ledzep87ledzep87 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    Not at $875.
    Great transaction with: Relaxn, Collectorcoins, OKCC
  • xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    No proof for me. Business strike only.

I spoke to my local shop today since they are a "mint certified" bullion dealer. They said they should have them about a week after they go on sale but no other news. Of course that would mean the mint is actually shipping orders right away which I doubt. I guess there isn't any inside information that dealers have on this one.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavens no.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • If many of these aren't purchased---it may become the next 1995 W SAE !

• << <i>If many of these aren't purchased---it may become the next 1995 W SAE ! >>

One reason I'll probably look on ebay for one in a PCGS holder. I'll be looking for at least $100 less though.
  • wait and see at this point

• << <i>wait and see at this point >>

Typically if you wait and see if somethings going to be a collectors item means watching the price soar and getting left out. Reminds me of something I saw recently. The children were completing a certain task faster than adults because they were not second guessing their gut instincts.
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to but the price is a little too steep for the budget. To bad the Mint does not have a more dynamic pricing structure on the proof bullion items.

K
    ANA LM
  • Can't..got all my money tied up in those "Speared Bison" ripp offsimage
  • Maybe....You Only live once.
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Probably. So few will sell that I doubt they'll be cheaper later. The metal price was not a concern when I purchased my 2000 MS bimetallic $10 and that turned out O.K.
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am buying one image It looks like a winner to me. The first .999 gold coin ever minted by the USMINT with a few incused design elements.image
  • Absolutely, I will buy one.
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    no
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not at $875.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    Honestly undecided. I want the coin but I don't know that I want to pay the whopping premium.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • The "whooping premium" the Mint wants for this .9999 Bison may look very reasonable a year from now. Would your mind change if gold were still at $700 ? Beware, history sometimes repeats itself !
  • JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>The "whooping premium" the Mint wants for this .9999 Bison may look very reasonable a year from now. >>

Maybe. Which is why I'm still undecided.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Nah. $875 for a $580 chip of gold is silly. I could pay $599 for a $580 chip of gold, and take the other $276 and go fishing.

• JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭

<< <i>I am buying one image It looks like a winner to me. The first .999 gold coin ever minted by the USMINT with a few incused design elements.image >>

Huh? Incused design elements?
    "The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Yes I will buy one.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know, I'm thinking about it, but it's a big risk!
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

>>

Huh? Incused design elements? >>

The American Buffalo 24-Karat Gold Coin will have inscriptions of the coins weight, denomination, and gold content incused on the reverse in the design area commonly known as the "grassy mound" The inscriptions read "$50" "1 oz" and .9999 fine gold.

( el-e-ment) Any entity that satisfies the conditions of belonging to a class of objects, such as one of a number of objects arranged in a symmetrical or regular figure. One of the points, lines, planes, or other geometrical forms of which a figure is composed.

• << <i> Beware, history sometimes repeats itself ! >>

History is very repetitive for those willing to do a little research.
  • I just pre-ordered a couple of the bullion version. Should get it sometime in early July.
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ummmmmm....no.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭
    Thanks HighRelief. I didn't know that.

Isn't that going to catch dirt and germs? I'm concerned those coins could become a disease vector!

"The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If, in but another post-Katrina tribute to the great city of New Orleans, the US Mint decides to reopen the New Orleans Mint solely to do a limited edition (1861 proofs) striking of the coin with an "O" mintmark, only then will I consider buying one.
  • JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought this old post had some interesting comments about the "mint premium" , and that
    a few members would Not buy it. Cost too much ! I wish gold was that inexpensive now.
  • mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

you and me both jazzman.These babies are going for about 1650.00 or so now.
  • ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    If someone wrote that not only they are going to buy the coin, but also sell their house and dump their stock portfolio, I would have been very impressed.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would love to but not with this great economy (not) and the price of gold right now. ill wait.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At $875? I sure won't. >>

are you sure?

58% said no!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • I bought the first one. What do I need another for?

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • If only we knew then what we know now. I agonized over buying one back then, but I ended up buying one. I would have bought many more (of the MS bullion variety) if only I had known. At any rate, a cool look back into the not so distant past. Wonder what the next four years holds? (And I wonder what colossal miscalculation I'm currently making!) image
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    I still say NO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file