Home Sports Talk

Who do you like in this weekend's US Open?

Any chance another surprise wins the US Open this year like Michael Campbell last year? The big 5 (Tiger, Els, Singh, Mickelson, Goosen) will compete, but some of the other players who I think stand a reasonable chance to win include: Angel Cabrera, Miguel Jiminez, Sergio Garcia, Davis Love, Justin Leonard and Scott Verplank. My personal favorites, I'd really enjoy watching either of these two Fred's win - Couples or Funk.

Comments

• bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Id love to see Couples win too, but I dont think he will hold up for 4 days with his age and back problems. To me Mickelson is the favorite. The crowd here goes crazy for the guy and it should provide a big boost for him. A friend has tickets for the weekend rounds waiting for me, but I dont know if I will get to go unfortunately. I had the opportunity to go in 84, as well as play there when I was 15 in 1988. Id love to go back, the course is absolutely amazing.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>Id love to see Couples win too, but I dont think he will hold up for 4 days with his age and back problems. To me Mickelson is the favorite. The crowd here goes crazy for the guy and it should provide a big boost for him. A friend has tickets for the weekend rounds waiting for me, but I dont know if I will get to go unfortunately. I had the opportunity to go in 84, as well as play there when I was 15 in 1988. Id love to go back, the course is absolutely amazing. >>

I like to see unknowns win golf tournaments, makes it interesting.
  • WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    Tiger missed the cut. He's been in 195 events as a pro and this is only the 5th time he's missed a cut. He made the cut all 38 times playing in a major, until this weekend. Phil looks for real, making a strong comeback with the New York crowd loudly applauding him. It's going to be a good time watching this play out tomorrow.
  • Bri - Good pick on Wednesday, I keep waiting on Adam Scott to win a major. That kids got a sweet swing (Butch) Last year I got to work at the Open in Pinehurst and the Presidents Cup in Northern VA! But this year I am back behind the desk.

Go Phil !!!
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    ChrisC.....Scott is a great young player, but if history has shown anything, if your name isnt Tiger you cant expect much in the line of majors at his age. A major championship is so incredibly difficult to win, particularly the Open. Typically a golfer doesnt reach the level needed for a major till his early to mid 30's. Experience, maturity, and course management play such an important role that its tough to win at Scotts age. Rest assured he will win his share, no doubt he has the game for it. Time, age, and experience will get him there eventually.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra