Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dansco 7070 Type Set Registry?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
With the tremedous popularity of the Dansco 7070 type set, I wonder if anyone has suggested that PCGS create a type set registry for 1800-present, that mimics the Dansco 7070 type set. Heck, perhaps Dansco could even sponser it in some fashion. The current PCGS Registry options for comprehensive type sets include 1793-present (without or with gold) a a 20th century type set (without or with gold). By eliminating the 18th century types, coins that are generally unavailable to most collectors would be eliminated: Chain cent, draped bust half dime, draped bust, small eagle half, 1796 quarter, etc.

Comments

• Options
    Great idea!
    This is how I collect.
    I have a 7070 set and I am working on getting the corresponding PCGS coins. Both sets are works in progress. The 7070 is mid-grade circulated, with a few cleaned/retoned coins, and a few 'family' coins, while the PCGS set is mint state.
    Mark Piersall
    Random Collector
    www.marksmedals.com
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Maybe NGC could slab the whole Dansco album, similar to their multi-coin slabs image
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    I'm no registry fan, but this sounds like a shockingly good idea to me.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe NGC could slab the whole Dansco album, similar to their multi-coin slabs image >>

That'd be image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With the tremedous popularity of the Dansco 7070 type set, I wonder if anyone has suggested that PCGS create a type set registry for 1800-present, that mimics the Dansco 7070 type set. Heck, perhaps Dansco could even sponser it in some fashion. The current PCGS Registry options for comprehensive type sets include 1793-present (without or with gold) a a 20th century type set (without or with gold). By eliminating the 18th century types, coins that are generally unavailable to most collectors would be eliminated: Chain cent, draped bust half dime, draped bust, small eagle half, 1796 quarter, etc. >>

A better idea (IMO) would be to add these coins to the Dansco album as they truly belong in any US type set and take out the stuff (commems and bullion) which doesn't.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe NGC could slab the whole Dansco album, similar to their multi-coin slabs image >>

It would be nice if PCGS would slab the set.

Both TPG are missing a good here.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

At NGC you can define your own sets, so that would work across the street.

Since the 7070 is a common set it would seem like a good set for PCGS to set-up.

But because it is an album based set, I wonder how much interest there would be in the PCGS Registry?

Would anyone take all of their coins out of the album and send them into PCGS so they could put them in the Registry image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too like the idea, I like type sets and seeing a Dansco 7070 registry set and a competition between so many of the superstars here would be interesting.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe NGC could slab the whole Dansco album, similar to their multi-coin slabsimage >>

Great idea!
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Great idea and I would participate...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    are the coins slabbed or are the coins in the album?

if in the album, how can they be in a registry?

and if in slabs, how is the album they're from relevant?

they (pcgs) already have a couple of type sets of different comprehensiveness (difficulty)

and someone with a complete 7070 submitted the coins, and if they were nice coins, they'd have a great if not complete set of US type coins;

is the point of having this specific list so that someone could "compete" ? in which case, as always, the highest grades win.
    eliminating the "tough" coins wouldn't stop the one with the most money from building the "best" set in the registry list

I love the Dansco 7070 album, in large part because it's a 5 page book, not a box of individually slabbed coins.

the aspect of having the pictures online might be appealing, but then again, you don't have to participate in a registry to have pics of your coins online.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Personally, Registry sets don't interest me. But, to participate, you can own the PCGS coins and still crack them out and put them in your Dansco album. Does it say anywhere the coins must still be slabbed?
  • Options
    I'm just starting a new 7070 and was kicking this idea around myself... figures someone already beat me to it. Anyone else?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    On one hand it seems brilliant, but on the other....how can a slabber create a registry set based on an album where coins are displayed RAW by definition?

Not everything needs to be slabbed. A "Dansco 7070 registry set" would lead us one more step toward the contrary.
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    As one who is not at all interested in the registry, or in accumulating slabbed coins in general, I think a Capital Plastics 7070 wall hanging display would be outstanding. It would weigh quite a bit, and might be prohibitively large. But, what a neat way to display the set. For some it could well represent a serious security risk, however.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options

<< <i>On one hand it seems brilliant, but on the other....how can a slabber create a registry set based on an album where coins are displayed RAW by definition? >>

True enough... however, I bought the contents of my previous 7070 slabbed and cracked them out for the album. Virtually every slot in the album was an ex-PCGS coin, and it would be nice to have a place to feature the set and photos of it, registry competition aside.
  • Options
    Great idea count me in
    David
    GRUMPY OLD MAN
  • Options
    I think the key word RYK used was "MIMICS".

FWIW, I just bought a 7070, and am very disappointed with it. I am going to give it to a nephew tomorrow. I like RYK's idea though, but with some modifications I'm just too lazy to list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file