Home Metal Detecting
Options

Just got a combo Birthday-Father's Day Gift

My wife picked this up for me yesterday. I've never used a metal detector before, but I've always been impressed and excited by the members' posts here. It looked like a nice intro model and should be lots of fun. I live next to a 200 year old farm house and my neighbor already told me to search the yard any time. Also have lots of other areas nearby.

Let me know if you have any tips/tricks/comments. Thanks!

White's Prizm V

Comments

• Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    i've owned many whites detectors. they perform fairly well. tips: don't expect every outing to be plentiful. for every good day, there will bad ones. if in an old area, dig all the signals. get used to the fact that ALOT of trash is buried everywhere. accept this fact and dig everything, it will pay off.
  • Options
    DD gave you good advice. Dig it all, so you can learn what your detector is telling you.
    Of course you want to be pretty good at digging before you go hunting someone elses property.
    Here are some good ways to recover targets.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks. I started practicing in my own yard an hour ago. Figured I'll work on my technique before going to my neighbor's. I only had one little hole dug before my wife suggested I move to the back yard.
    The first 60 seconds on the lawn resulted in a tone and ID on the display that showed 5c at 4 inches. I dug 4 inches and found a 1986-P Jefferson. At least I know it works!
    Need to watch the DVD that came with the detector and read through the manual. Can't wait to venture next door. I have my eye on a huge old oak tree.
  • Options
    another suggestion: find a local dealer and ask about any clubs. getting with another more experienced user will greatly help.