Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: 1928 Albrecht Dürer Cast Commemorative

K-388 ALBRECHT DÜRER, 1928, Cast Bronze, 121,0mm, Edge-punched “KgoeTz”, RRR

Obverse: Dürer bust left with name and commemorative dates along rim.

Reverse: Family crest and shield held by putto. Inscription reads, “Honor your German Masters.”

Albert Dürer was a German painter, engraver, medalist, and writer. This was one of Goetz’ personal favorites out of everything he created.

This piece can also be found in the far more common silver 60mm silver strikes and, to a far lesser extent, in struck 36 and 60mm gold, and 36mm platinum pieces. This is the only 120mm cast piece I have ever seen

Comments

• Options
    I think the only thing that amazes me more than the specialty material you continue to show is your network for finding these pieces. Would I be correct in assuming you spend alot of time online?image
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Scott -You may think this is funny but I have always seen what I thought was some of Durer's influence in Goetz's early art medals.

Shep
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    " I think the only thing that amazes me more than the specialty material you continue to show is your network for finding these pieces. Would I be correct in assuming you spend alot of time online?"

It took a little time to get the info but now I am on many mail lists for German auctions so, in essence, the material comes to me. Also, my funky web gallery (see link below) has introduced me to many people worldwide that are happy to let me know when they see something on the market. If it weren't for the internet I'd still be scartching the surface with perhaps only a couple dozen pieces instead of the 400 or so already in my collection... image

"Scott -You may think this is funny but I have always seen what I thought was some of Durer's influence in Goetz's early art medals."

Not at all Shep...many German artists emulate Dürer and in fact, this "portrait" is actually a copy of Dürer's own self-portrait. Goetz was also heavily influenced by Renaissance art and techniques.
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Also, here's some perspective on it's size....heh heh

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very cool... Excellent pictures and it is amazing to see the size of some of these medals.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Awsome!!!!
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Good lord, that thing is huge !!! image

The detail on that medal, especially the portrait, is just amazing.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Too heavy for a frizbee, about the right size. Nice Medal all aroundimage
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow.....hard to put 120mm in perspective until you see it "in hand"!
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Dang that image thing is big!image
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.