Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess grade? 1805 Draped Bust Quarter - Variety?

CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
Mainly looking for confirmation on the variety type... B-2?? Weak "R" in Liberty, w/ clash marks of Liberty's profile on the reverse: her bust between clouds & "of"; her nose between shield & olive branch; back of head between left wing and arrowheads; and finally her hair curls above left wing into stars, on to bottom of clouds... really sweet clash mark outline!

Care to guess the grade?? I apologize for lighting... this thing is blanketed in a nice crusty skin w/fiery orange highlights (luster) around motifs & in design recesses.

Just say no to Conservation!!

tks,

the 'dude

imageimage

imageimage
Got Crust....y gold?

Comments

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU53 or AU55 ?
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Sorry. no clue on the variety but I'll guess she's a 58, a choice one too.
    Great coin.

Edited to add: The somewhat weak or greasy strike doesn't bother me at all on such an orriginal looking piece.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    Thanks JoesMaName & 5 cent...

digging through previous Heritage & ANR catalogs, I've seen alot of DB Quarters from the 1804-1807 run w/some really fuzzy strikes, & then some w/spot-on, killer strikes. This one was sooo original... un-mucked with... had to get it. I've seen other B-2s w/the clash mark abv the clouds on into/through "OF" on the reverse, but not the other places... a pretty cool (& full) outline of Liberty around & about the reverse devices...
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

B-2...ef-45...au-50

Looks like a nice coinimage

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abolutely gorgeous,

I'll need to dig up my browning book to verify, but looks like elwood already did so.

That would look awsome in any type set.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I'll trust elwood on this!

Fantastic coin!!! I love it!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent friggin' coin man!
  • Options

Wow. That's a special coin. The only negative that I can see is that the color seems "off", but that could just be the digital image. How does it look in person?

It is B-2. Breen considered this to be an R.3 variety and the latest JRCS census keeps B-2 as an R.3. I think that it is more like R.2-. I just see so many of this variety.

The reason that your coin is special is because of the centering, alignment and strike. It is uncommon to find DB quarters with complete and strong dentilation on both obv and rev. That is worth a premium. The reason you see some weakness in the lower shield is due to the fact that the coin is well struck and the opposing area on the obverse received the majority of the available metal flow in that area. These are thin planchets, of course.

I agree with elwood: EF-45 to AU-50. I can see luster on the reverse but not sure about the obverse. Regardless of the grade, this is a rare coin and undervalued, imho. Nice acquisition!
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    Roger that, Jade. Makes sense on the strike quality on the obv, vice rev areas. It is a killer coin... the surface colors are more of a light gunmetal blue (not too dark) w/the luster being an orangey tint but only if tilted just right in the light... makes for a very attractive color combination that has obviously developed over the centuries.

It's in a PCGS AU-50 holder... you can't make out the luster underlying very well in the pics, but in hand, you can easily see why PCGS graded it AU. If one was cold-hearted, they could crack it, scrub it, and believe could easily score an AU-53 or even AU-55 grade on it.

the 'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    an outstanding coin! you have quite a collection, CDude image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    sweet, sweet, SWEET coin!

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    agree w/ b-2 - definitely more common then r3 as someone mentioned.

K S
  • Options
    I mean, it's a draped bust quarter in freakin pcgs50, man!

that aint no bullion

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Very nice.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a B-2. Very nice coin with nice eye appeal, I would go with EF-45. Thanks for posting it.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file