Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

When buying single vintage packs (poll)

Comments

• Options
    so what problems are encountered with cello?

How much of a factor can gum be on wax(ex 1-2 cards destoyed? how many yrs?)

Thanks
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I prefer wax, due to the graphics. I have no intention of busting them.
    Lots of problems with cellos over the last year- many were holdered than shouldn't have been.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    ColleSystemColleSystem Posts: 512 ✭✭
    I prefer only rack packs where possible. I'd stay away from cellos. They are wrapped pretty tight and will make almost all of the corners "cello rounded" where the corners just aren't sharp enough.
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love a nice rack...
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Racks are more than likely going to give you the best gradeable cards, Although if you are not going to bust them then go with wax, They simply look better when holdered and should increase as much percentage wise as cello or rack.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love a nice rack... >>

Mike

Did not fly over my head!

I agree!
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was impossible to answer - IMO, the survey should have separated racks from cellos.

I have very little use for cellos - too much possiblility for edge damage in packaging.

I agree with Anthony - packs are the prettiest and display very well.

For opening - I like racks.

If you have a nice rack with a star card - now we're talking!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    I will not buy cello's.

I prefer rack over wax over vending. I also typically stay away from the grocery racks as well.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    I prefer Racks too. If you are buying vintage racks look at the seal where the pockets of cards are. A simple sandwich sealer can melt it together again. That being said ,stick to the big 3 unopened dealers.
  • Options
    Wonderful RACK, Stone!
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Gum damage seems to be hit or miss. I guess it depends on how the cards were stored.

In the past 3 years, I've opened up 1986 Topps, 1985 Topps, and 1982 Topps wax boxes.

The 1986 (bb) boxes (from Ebay) had no damge from gum (yeah, I was shocked).
    The 1985 (fb) box (from BBCE) had profound damage, the gum being "glued" to the card directly under it, bleeding through to the next card, and in a few instances, to card after that one).
    The 1982 (fb) box (from BBCE) had minimal damage, limited to the card directly under the gum.

As for wax, the 85 and 82 packs had the card fronts directly under the wax seal, and the wax would wipe off just by rubbing a clean sock over it. Probably not gradable, but they look good for a raw set. The 1986 cards had the card back twards the wax seal, so you had the wax bleed stain that makes the card dog food.

If you're looking for gradable stuff, factor in a potential of 2 (maybe 3) cards lost to staining in each rack pack. That's 72 cards that are immediatly DOA out of 540 (13% of the box).
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Are you talking about buying and keeping sealed, or opened and submitted?
    For display sealed packs, hands down. Racks a pretty large holdered, and have a much shorter run. Cellos are only good graphically in '64, and '69-'72.
    For opening, I've always heard racks are better (other than those bogus Xmas rewraps). Vending seems to be hit or miss- if you get a box with OC cards you're really hosed.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's