Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I am sure I'll get some opposing thoughts

i was looking at the individual player registry in baseball and i guess that there are no restrictions on who can get placed on the list. such stars as manny mota, bill campbell and pepe frias are on the list.

my question can any player could get put on on the registry? i am sure people are fans of certain players for various reasons but shouldn't the registry stir up some competition instead of some place to show off a personal favorite? maybe HOF, MVP or some minimum standards.

any way take your best shots if you think i am wrongimage

Comments

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I dont think you are wrong, I have noticed this as well, I thought the player registry would be reserved for players of elite status or at least some pretty good players. If that were the case I have no idea how some players make it into the registry, be it baseball,football or another sport. I have noticed in the football Registry that there are some pretty good players left out, while some players who had a cup of coffee in the league have reg sets.

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I think you're basically right, czar, but you're overlooking the fact that the Registry is a gold mine for PSA. They're going to do whatever they can to encourage submissions of cards that are basically worth a few nickels or less.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I agree with yawie. It's all about the bottom line. Why would PSA limit the type of player it allows in the registry? It would be bad for business. I have also poked around on the baseball players registry and have seen some odd characters. Some of them have no entries at all or just one. I have two sets that I am the only participant. That could change, it could not. I'm looking forward to the Dick Pole Master Set to come out...then we have gone over the edge.

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    Is there anything wrong with a Rusty Kuntz registry??
    Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options
    I knew this was going to start........

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I'm indifferent to random/obscure players being included so long as there is a critical mass of their cards to collect.

If it is the random players who have less than 5 cards ever issued - I don't think they should have a Player Registry set.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I think there is room for everyone. I just skip over any player that doesn't interest me. Doesn't really bother me.

I've gotten into using the collector's showcase for my random collections. Right now, I have showcases up for Derek Jeter, Yankee Retired Numbers, and Yankee Autographs. I'm not in competition with anyone, but the showcase lets me put up scans of my cards. That makes it easy to post the pictures here or steal a few minutes from work and browse my collection when I need a break.
  • Options
    my question can any player could get put on on the registry?

apparently.. drew brees master set?? lol
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm indifferent to random/obscure players being included so long as there is a critical mass of their cards to collect.

If it is the random players who have less than 5 cards ever issued - I don't think they should have a Player Registry set. >>

I'm an ernie davis fan/collector. He only has 2 cards, 1961 nu-cards and 1962 topps. No garbage $5 cards, the 62 topps is low pop in 8 and 9. Should he be included? I hadn't even thought about it until this thread.
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    Alright... let me chime in... especially since you're (indirectly) talking about collector's such as myself.

This hobby/business/past-time isn't just about collecting the most valuable cards... some of us are in it for pure love of the game, and it's amers. We all have our favorite players, favorite teams, and favorite coaches (amoung many others) to collect... and we collect their cards/auto's/general memorabilia for our own reasons... NOT NECESSARILY BECAUSE THEIR CARDS ARE WORTH THE MOST MONEY.

I have a large collection of Chris Sabo cards (probably the only), and am very proud of it. I'm in the process of putting together a master set. I also have a request pending to put Mr. Sabo's master list up on the registy to show it off. I certainly won't force anybody to view it.... ut I'd like to offer up a gallery to any and all that are interested in checking it out.

Star players are deffinately awesome to collect as well, don't get me wrong! I love a great collection of Pujols or Mantle just as much as the next guy! I'm a huge fan of MANY MANY big stars playing today!.... and collect several of them too! I'd like to see the list of registries grow and grow! That just means there are that many more die-hard collectors out there!

... that's my $.02 ....

oh ya... one more thing... Montanafan:
    "apparently.. drew brees master set?? lol "

What's wrong with Drew Brees? ... I'm a fan of his too... actually had a class with him at Purdue.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    What's wrong with Drew Brees? ... I'm a fan of his too... actually had a class with him at Purdue.

brees is very good, wasn't intended as a shot at him..was just trying to say that it seemed like an odd set to have when they don't yet have, for example, a tom rathman set or a brent jones set.. last time i checked there were no entrants in the brees set, but i just checked again and it's come a long way.. which brings me to my next point:

i have some drew brees cards graded if anyone's interested.. obviously i must not think too badly of brees if i graded up these cards, which are all available:

2004 score drew brees #258 final score parallel #3/4 (only 4 made) psa 9
    2004 score drew brees #258 psa 10

2005 upper deck drew brees #152 psa 9
    2005 topps drew brees black #23 psa 8
    2004 topps collection drew brees #181 psa 9
    2002 u/d honor roll tomlinson/brees/conway psa 8
    2004 bowman chrome drew brees #73 psa 8
    and i'm sure i've got some more around here too.. plus tomlinson and other various charger cards.. if someone wants them for their drew brees master set, please contact me..

• Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    It's one thing to register a set of your favourite player, but it's another to register a set for a hot prospect who doesn't pan out. There are Basic and Master sets for Steve Kariya, Paul's little brother, who was once a prospect with the Canucks, but now plays in Europe with a grand total of 65 NHL games under his belt. The Basic set consists of 5 cards from 1999, and the only registered set has 2 of the 5. Seems like a bit of a waste.
  • Options

<< <i>It's one thing to register a set of your favourite player, but it's another to register a set for a hot prospect who doesn't pan out. There are Basic and Master sets for Steve Kariya, Paul's little brother, who was once a prospect with the Canucks, but now plays in Europe with a grand total of 65 NHL games under his belt. The Basic set consists of 5 cards from 1999, and the only registered set has 2 of the 5. Seems like a bit of a waste. >>

That is pretty pathetic lol

They (PSA) should seriously sit down and go over the list of players and atleast have some sort of criteria to meet, before adding any old "Joe Nobody" to the list.
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    Hey don't get me wrong. There are lots of regional stars and fan favourites who never really show up on the national radar. To stick with the Canucks theme, I could see Harold Snepsts or Trevor Linden being worthy of a set, if someone so desired, but there is no way that Steve Kariya is anyone's favourite player (not even his mom! image ).
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Recently, there seems to be an abnormal growth spurt in the demand for a Jason Grimsley Master Set. image
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    I think PSA does "police" it's set registry. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if there is no action on a set for a year it gets pulled. I don't know how true that is or if there are certain stipulations.

Red

>

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    No one tell Mr. Grimsley- his head will get too big.

But seriously, collect who you want to. You shouldn't have to explain why you're a fan of somebody. If Steve Kariya's kids want to start a registry set of their dad they should be able to. If PSA will grade a card of any player, why would they sensor the registry if people want to start a collection of someone? Where do you draw the line at who's allowed in the registry? More importantly, why do you all care who someone collects? If you don't want to view a collection of Sixto Lezcano then don't look at it. That doesn't mean the collector doesn't have a right to showcase their collection.
    It's like saying you can have a 1968 Topps registry set but not a 1996 Topps Lazer.

Lee

Edit to say if a set lays dormant for too long and has not reached a certain reasonable percentage of completion it should be pulled, but can be added again if there is more action on the set.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>No one tell Mr. Grimsley- his head will get too big.

But seriously, collect who you want to. You shouldn't have to explain why you're a fan of somebody. If Steve Kariya's kids want to start a registry set of their dad they should be able to. If PSA will grade a card of any player, why would they sensor the registry if people want to start a collection of someone? Where do you draw the line at who's allowed in the registry? More importantly, why do you all care who someone collects? If you don't want to view a collection of Sixto Lezcano then don't look at it. That doesn't mean the collector doesn't have a right to showcase their collection.
    It's like saying you can have a 1968 Topps registry set but not a 1996 Topps Lazer.

Lee

Edit to say if a set lays dormant for too long and has not reached a certain reasonable percentage of completion it should be pulled, but can be added again if there is more action on the set. >>

This sounds spot on to me as well. In fact, I'm always a little surprised that there aren't MORE player sets of B list pro athletes. I mean, did everyone grow up idolizing (or even just appreciating) the accomplishments of the same 5 ball players? I would have thought that out of the thousands of guys who collect PSA slabs at least one Twins fan would have put together a Brunansky basic set, or a Cardinals fan a Lonnie Smith set... just seems strange that everyone who participates chases (more or less) the same players.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think PSA does "police" it's set registry. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if there is no action on a set for a year it gets pulled. I don't know how true that is or if there are certain stipulations.

Red >>

Red: I think that only applies if the set is less than 10% complete. And PSA policy does not match its enforcement. There are definitely some late 1980s sets that have a single card registered that have not been updated for well over a year that still sit there idle on the Registry.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    That's what I thought. I have a 56 set that I haven't touched in quite a while. I think it is over 10% but it's still there.

Red

>

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's one thing to register a set of your favourite player, but it's another to register a set for a hot prospect who doesn't pan out. There are Basic and Master sets for Steve Kariya, Paul's little brother, who was once a prospect with the Canucks, but now plays in Europe with a grand total of 65 NHL games under his belt. The Basic set consists of 5 cards from 1999, and the only registered set has 2 of the 5. Seems like a bit of a waste. >>

This is the kind of thing I am talking about, Registering a set for your favorite player is one thing, But a guy that just hasnt seen enough action or have enough cards is a waste of cyberspace.