Home U.S. Coin Forum

ICG: 1, Boredom: 0

Is ICG gaining the benefit of all the ANACS bashing?

It seems that ICG and Cameron are quietly grading coins and slabbing them in ICG's attractive holder while ANACS suffers.

Comments

• MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    ICG does a decent job

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Below MS-65 or so, I think ICG is every bit as good as ANY other TPG. Their problem is massive overgrading on the very high-end MS grades, usually on moderns.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I looked through 20,000 coins in auctions over the last two weeks and I think about 25 were in ICG holders.

I'm not sure where they go, but they don't seem to be going into mainstream auctions.

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure where they go >>

eBay and Teletrade.

Russ, NCNE
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

eBay and Teletrade.

Russ, NCNE >>

Thanks.
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    The Evil Empire has been a big ANACS submitter in the past.

Has anyone noticed volume sales of the new ANACS holdered coins through Heritage?
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I thought ICG was an acronym for I Can't Grade...

All kidding aside, ICG graded coins are usually much more difficult to sell than ANACS graded coins. In wholesale circles, only two dealers will post sight-unseen bids for ICG graded coins and those coins almost always sell for a fraction of the price that its PCGS or NGC counterpart would realize.

On a positive note, the current turnaround times for all normal ICG service tiers is amazingly fast.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Does ICG still have an option for the intercept shield insert? I know there is black, but weren't they offering another color as well? Also, why do people say there will be no real spark put into ICG until they start publishing a pop report. Why? Another thing, I've heard people say that when it comes to ancients, they are just about the only game in town. If so, why don't they push that side of there program? Or do they?

Jerry
  • jamesfsmjamesfsm Posts: 652 ✭✭
    ICG is also very big in grading Canadian coins for Canadians. Apparently, US Customs and the Canadian Postal Service are very familiar with ICG's packages, so much so that ICG publishes a semi-authoritative guide to Canadian customs requirements. I was told this by a Canadian dealer who endorses ICG.

I like ICG for medals and tokens. Parenthetically, I was not wild about ICG's overly wordy slab inserts so Cameron designed a less wordy insert using an easier to read font.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Below MS-65 or so, I think ICG is every bit as good as ANY other TPG. Their problem is massive overgrading on the very high-end MS grades, usually on moderns. >>

That was a bit of a problem at one time, but not any longer. The ICG grader who was in charge of the lower-value modern coins left the company a couple years ago, so I have been told. ICG does a good job on moderns now. These days, it is PCGS and NGC that are banging out the MS-69s and MS-70s at a high rate. Just look at all of them on eBay. And many of those PCGS/NGC coins are being graded under EXTREMELY lax standards, in my opinion.

<< <i>ICG does a good job on moderns now. >>

Hardly.

Russ, NCNE
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought ICG was an acronym for I Can't Grade.... >>

and NGC is Not Graded Correctly,
    I've also heard ICG standing for It Could Go... as in ICG 70 means It Could Go 70.
    I'm sure there are plenty others to go around.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (deleting double post)
  • 500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've heard people say that when it comes to ancients, they are just about the only game in town. If so, why don't they push that side of there program? Or do they?
    >>

ICG regularly advertizes in the Celetor (an Ancient Coin monthly). I am recently getting into Ancients, and they are about the only game in town.
    NGC seems to be doing some now also (J Kern ads in Coin World), but they do not use numerical grades on ancients, and will label problem coins (cleaned/etc.) as genuine without grades.
    Finem Respice
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if publishing the ICG pops would calm the fears or confirm what we believe is a near monopoly of Pr69 and Pr70 D/C moderns.
    Resale values just aren't there; don't know if that will ever change. For moderns anyway.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< I'm not sure where they go >>

eBay and Teletrade.

Russ, NCNE >>

Don't forget Coin Vault. image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Is ICG gaining the benefit of all the ANACS bashing? >>

I'm thinking NGC benefits more from the ANACS bashing.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    I think ICG has a silent ownership in the Greysheet...I can never understand how they get ranked as number #1 in value comparison to the other Big TPGs...
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Just a fun note with the Heritage auction that just ended:

Hammer price for 2 1897 MS 65 Morgans:

PCGS 190

ICG 200

Jerry
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>ICG does a good job on moderns now. >>

Hardly.

Russ, NCNE >>

I must diagree. PCGS and NGS are not currently doing a diligent job in this area.

A spot check of eBay on June 6 for "MS-70" and "MS70" US coins shows the following number of lots listed:

PCGS: 61 coins
    NGC: 305 coins
    ICG: 23 coins
    ANACS: 0 coins

So who is really being LAX here ? No way to tell for sure from this data, but I have my suspicions.

<< <i>I must diagree. PCGS and NGS are not currently doing a diligent job in this area.

A spot check of eBay on June 6 for "MS-70" and "MS70" US coins shows the following number of lots listed:

So who is really being LAX here ? No way to tell for sure from this data, but I have my suspicions. >>

A spot check of eBay is meaningless. There has always been more 70's listed from PCGS and NGC because many more coins are submitted to them than ICG. My opinion of ICG moderns comes from actually viewing coins in-hand. Their modern grading is just as sloppy as it's always been.

Russ, NCNE
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think ICG has a silent ownership in the Greysheet...I can never understand how they get ranked as number #1 in value comparison to the other Big TPGs... >>

You must be kidding me. Have you seen the prices the home shopping channels charge for coins? And a large portion of them are ICG graded.
  • RVDavisRVDavis Posts: 1,137

<< <i>

<< <i>I must diagree. PCGS and NGS are not currently doing a diligent job in this area.

So who is really being LAX here ? No way to tell for sure from this data, but I have my suspicions. >>

A spot check of eBay is meaningless. My opinion of ICG moderns comes from actually viewing coins in-hand. Their modern grading is just as sloppy as it's always been.

Russ, NCNE >>

I have been equally disappointed in their Morgan grades. If I want a coin in an ICG holder (I buy the coin), I make an offer on my opinion of the coin. I have yet to have a disagreement with a dealer when disputing an ICG 65 coin as an AU, or perhaps a 60.
    Proud recipient of YOU SUCK more than once and less than 100 times.
    Those ICG MS/PR70 graded coins...they're definitely out there in huge numbers.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure where they go, but they don't seem to be going into mainstream auctions. >>

They're on HSN right now - set of 4 Franklin Commen's ICG PR/MS70 for $799.95

They just called ICG one of the most prestigious grading companies out there today and were going over how the experts grade these 70's. Pretty cool.

They were giving away 4-free ICG submissions with the last lot of gold plated modern crap (They said it was $120 value - $30.00 per coin for grading?? ouch).
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Ok, so i'm tring to learn from all of you people (or at least some).
    On the front page of "the coin dealer newsletter" is a section called
    "Coin Dealer Newsletter Certidied Coin Market Indicator"
    It shows ICG in second place at an average of 79.49%(June 2) right behind PCGS with 84.78% and NGC with 78.03% and then ANACS with 53.32%.....then a few others below them....
    What does that really all mean?????
    It says to me that thier coins do well?????
    Yes No Maybe So????????
    Fill me in if you would please
    DONNYJF
  • RVDavisRVDavis Posts: 1,137

<< <i>Ok, so i'm tring to learn from all of you people (or at least some).
    On the front page of "the coin dealer newsletter" is a section called
    "Coin Dealer Newsletter Certidied Coin Market Indicator"
    It shows ICG in second place at an average of 79.49%(June 2) right behind PCGS with 84.78% and NGC with 78.03% and then ANACS with 53.32%.....then a few others below them....
    What does that really all mean?????
    It says to me that thier coins do well?????
    Yes No Maybe So????????
    Fill me in if you would please
    image >>

If you can get an answer to that question, which has been bothering me for a long time, and I might have to send you an ICG MS 75 Morgan dollar.
    Proud recipient of YOU SUCK more than once and less than 100 times.
  • Would love to get the Morgan
    DONNYJF
  • GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    Gee ......all those little acronmyns..!!!!
    F O R D .....Fix Or Repar Daily..........G M C.....Garage Man's Companion..........
    I C G
    N G C
    P C G S............
    How about buy the coin not the holder...........The beauty of the coin is in the beholder .....not the holder.........
    ......Larry........image

• << <i>

eBay and Teletrade.

Russ, NCNE >>

Don't forget the Home Shopping Network. Tonight they are offering a complete set of four 2006 Franklin Dollars in ICG MS70 holders for only $499.image
  • What it means is ICG does a bang up job but does have detractors on this board who are very partial to another TPG. PCGS allows ownership of and by coin dealer themselves and those owners are on this board putting down other services because they have a financial interest in PCGS or NGC. ICG does not allow any ownership by coin dealers and that is where the Independent comes in. Collectors love that ethical standard.
    Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment. Full effort is full victory. -Gandhi
  • ICG is doing a great job.
    Last time I checked ICG stood for... I Can't Grade...

One good thing about ICG...their turnaround times are great.

Seriously, ANACS has improved their customer service and their product lately. Submissions are being completed slightly more on time and they now answer their telephone calls most of the time during business hours. Their new "improved" holders now take a little more strength to break open with bare hands and excuses are issued much more sparingly.

Those percentage points on the front of the Greysheet mean absolutely nothing. ICG coins are still a real pain to sell. With a few exceptions, realizing Greysheet bid is only possible in a dream. Ditto with ANACS.
  • ICG employees are not allowed to be in the coin business. Not allowing corporate coin interference in their operation is what makes them so independent and accurate. Now, people here say the ICG coins sell for great discounts but when ever I ask for "that big discount" from these dealers they back off. So the discount is either a myth or lying by those involved with ICG's competition, in my experience.

I'll try again, dealers PM me with that "big discount" for the ICG coin so I can buy it.
    Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment. Full effort is full victory. -Gandhi
  • ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    ICG is decent with older coins, not so much moderns.

I love ICG coins..there are some really neat finds out there. Here are my two favorites both strictly graded (morgan is a soft strike, but completly mark free and worth the 64)

• mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    ddbird,

that is one attractive au58 indian.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ICG employees are not allowed to be in the coin business. Not allowing corporate coin interference in their operation is what makes them so independent and accurate. Now, people here say the ICG coins sell for great discounts but when ever I ask for "that big discount" from these dealers they back off. So the discount is either a myth or lying by those involved with ICG's competition, in my experience.

I'll try again, dealers PM me with that "big discount" for the ICG coin so I can buy it. >>

Discount refers to ultra high grade moderns. I've never seen discounts on the type of coins that I collect (better date US gold).

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

<< <i>ICG employees are not allowed to be in the coin business. Not allowing corporate coin interference in their operation is what makes them so independent and accurate. Now, people here say the ICG coins sell for great discounts but when ever I ask for "that big discount" from these dealers they back off. So the discount is either a myth or lying by those involved with ICG's competition, in my experience.

I'll try again, dealers PM me with that "big discount" for the ICG coin so I can buy it. >>

From a dealer standpoint ICG graded classic coins are extremely difficult to sell. Often times collectors and dealers alike will rule out purchasing a coin solely because the coin is housed in an ICG holder. Consequently, a large discount from their PCGS or NGC counterparts is the optimal way to generate interest for people to buy a coin that they would otherwise pass on. Presently there is only one large company who regularly places bids on ICG coins, and their bids are extremely low compared to their PCGS and NGC bids.

I don't have any ICG graded classic coins on hand at this moment, but when I have some I'll offer them to you at a substantial discount from Greysheet prices.
  • TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    How much would a 2003 MS70 ICG lincoln cent be worth?
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Does ICG stand for: I Can't Grade ?
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own one ICG graded coin:

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From a dealer standpoint ICG graded classic coins are extremely difficult to sell. Often times collectors and dealers alike will rule out purchasing a coin solely because the coin is housed in an ICG holder. Consequently, a large discount from their PCGS or NGC counterparts is the optimal way to generate interest for people to buy a coin that they would otherwise pass on. Presently there is only one large company who regularly places bids on ICG coins, and their bids are extremely low compared to their PCGS and NGC bids. >>

I'm not seeing many classics in ICG plastic selling at a discount -- where are they so I can buy them all?

Yes, the high-grade moderns in ICG plastic DO sell at a large discount, and generally speaking, they should.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file