Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1951 Bugs Bunny Franklin - Back from ANACS

StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
A few weeks ago I bought a few raw Franklins labeled "BU" at a coin club auction. Cruddy rainy day today, so I decided to go over some things, and was a little surprised when I found this. I think it's a Bugs Bunny with some pretty strong nose hair.

Pretty neat - Bushmaster8 found a 1951 BB a few weeks ago too. The majority of these are 1955's, but found on the web: "Franklin half dollars minted in 1955 are most commonly found with this die clash, but they are known in several earlier dates also."

I couldn't find a non-55 on eBay past or present for price comparison. I'm guessing they are fairly common if two people find them a few weeks apart, but anyone have any other info or sources?

Thanks!
------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

Comments

• Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    I've only seen it personally on 1955s and a 1956 with a fairly weak clash but definitely there. You can bet I'll be on the lookout for a 1951 now.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have physically seen 12 of the coins and owned 8. Normally, they sell for around $100. in MS63. There used to be a dealer in coin world offering the 1951 and 1954 Bugs Bunny varieties.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I own an MS65 1951 BB. If you search CheapSlabs.com, that person sells all the dates availble. Of course, the last time I looked at the website was maybe 8 or 10 months ago. He may have sold them all.
  • Options
    Nice one!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options

<< <i>I own an MS65 1951 BB. If you search CheapSlabs.com, that person sells all the dates availble. Of course, the last time I looked at the website was maybe 8 or 10 months ago. He may have sold them all. >>

Nice site - depending on what mine would grade, it's anywhere between 10-20x what I won it for.

I would guess 20 people looked at that coin during the meeting, but I'm thinking nobody (myself included) was looking for a BB. I'm going to be hitting all of them with a 10x at the next meeting - maybe lightning can strike twice.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one is really strong. Nice coin.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

<< <i>That one is really strong. Nice coin. >>

Thanks, looking through images on the Internet, the lip area is about the same as many, but those extra nose hairs are not present in many others. I was happy with the find for sure.

• Options
    It came back from ANACS MS64. Thanks to Greg (Bushmaster8) for sending this in with his submissions. First coin I ever sent in for slabbing.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

First I hear of or see, something other than a 55...just to cool!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Very Nice Find! Other than the rainy day blahs was there anything that told you to look for a possible BB?

Usually, until someone publicizes an interesting clash or variety, nobody actually breaks out their coins and really looks for them. Most collectors usually associate a BB with the 1955's because they know that they exist for that year and they don't even consider checking for this clash on any other years.

Similar to the Extra Tree's on the Minnesota Quarters. There is an abundance of them out there but no one really got down and checked their inventories until it was written up in Coin World and other coin publications. Doesn't mean that they didn't exist, it only meant that nobody was looking for them. Now I'll have to go home and check my Franklins, regardless of date, for this particular die clash!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Very Nice Find! Other than the rainy day blahs was there anything that told you to look for a possible BB?

Usually, until someone publicizes an interesting clash or variety, nobody actually breaks out their coins and really looks for them. Most collectors usually associate a BB with the 1955's because they know that they exist for that year and they don't even consider checking for this clash on any other years.
    >>

In this case, it was a post by Bushmaster8 a few weeks before my initial post that got me wondering if I had any. The next rainy day I checked, and sure enough... there he was.

• Options
    nice find!
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    groovy!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks more like nose hair.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    This site sells Bugs Bunny graded Franklins. check them out
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This site sells Bugs Bunny graded Franklins. check them out >>

Congrats on the nice grade! The linked site here is the same one I mentioned way back when earlier in this thread.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file