Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What could this possibly be??..............

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
This auction is for an unopened box from the US Mint - Numismatic Division. The item is insured but not registered. It also appears to have been shrink-wrapped but I didn't think that shrink wrap was available at that time so perhaps after the fact wrapping. Yet still my curiosity is rising because I have purchased unopened mint and proof sets but none have come from the "Numismatic Division" in PA.

Several are from the Bureau of the Mint (SF) and one is from the US Assay Office - Numismatic Service, New York.

Doea anybody recall what was shipped from this address??
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It also appears to have been shrink-wrapped >>

Take a closer look. It is NOT shrink-wrapped. I don't know why the brown paper packaging tape has that white hue to it, but you are not looking at plastic film.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    I can't help but wonder if the contents might be something other than coins (booklets perhaps).
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Probably not coins, as Shamika says.
    But you're running out of time for bidding, 19Lyds............ so you better move on it now. GIT IN YOUR BID DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It just MIGHT have something really valuable in it.
    Like a 1970's mint catalog.

Ray
  • Options

<< <i>This sale is final and is an "as is" sale. >>

This statement gives me reason to suspect you'll not find the missing 1804 dollars in the box.

• Options
    I wouldn't bid on this one! Way too risky especially since I believe the Mint had a 5 set order limit on anything you purchased from them. (They really didn't like us during that era!)
    I was just curious on what it might be? Pamphlets sounds about right. I'm still gonna watch it though and maybe email the winner to find out what it was!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm still gonna watch it though and maybe email the winner to find out what it was! >>

Please oh please let us know. I admit I'm dieing to know what might me in there.

• Options
    I would think that a box that size full of coins would weigh more than 7 pounds. Does it say "$30" on top of the word "Insured"? Could that be what it was insured for?

Sounds bogus to me... Term of sale is "don't tell me how awesome it was". Gimme a break image
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would it have cost the seller to get an X-ray?
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    my lil take goes like this...yup i'd be off to a metal detector...then just why wouldn't he sell it to his neighbor?kinda like never sell a used car to a friend stuff-here!!!intriqued...yeah but i'm getting tired of stupid mistakes at 44...great post though
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    what if he already took it to the airport and scaned it ?????????????
    Don't bother bidding. He knows whats in the box!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    what a scam.

let me repeat that.

what a scam.
  • Options
    He had listed it previously but ended it early to change the description and has relisted it:

Original Listing

In his original description, he claimed he offered $500 to the 90 yr old man for the "mystery box", but that the old man turned it down.
  • Options
    Most of us have that super secret ability to pick up a package, examine it for size, weight, shake it left then shake it right. Turn it upside down, examine the ends, all simultaneous to out acting on premonition, hunch and speculation, we are able to ascertain its probably contents with some degree of accuracy.

We do it every Christmas.

There is little chance that I or anyone else would sell a box with unknown contents when the slightest possibility exists it could have value.

A winning bid will buy no more than an opportunity to live a brief fantasy of untold treasures while waiting for its delivery, only to be sadly let down emotionally and financially in the end.
    "To know the road ahead, ask those coming back"
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    probably full of GSA dollaes
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    The listing says the box weighs about 7 LBs - that's not much for a box that size. If it held catalogs it would weigh much more, if it held rolls of coins it would weigh a lot more. I would guess that whatever is in the box is either small and protected by a lot of packing material or is large and does not weigh much - like a cardboard sign. I am curious to know what it is, but not $200 or $300 worth of curious.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why dont you buy it and find out- It is probably worth a fortune!!!!!!!!imageimage
  • Options
    hmmmmmmm, right above the "Insured" is a .30, I hope it wasnt insured for .30.....lol
    Joshua P. Merchant
  • Options
    Wait, I figured it out........its a...its a....BOMB!! lol........I dont know, but that would really suck!
    Joshua P. Merchant
  • Options

Could be mint medals or something, complete with their over-packaging. Total scam though. The seller knows what's in the box.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options

UPDATE:

I found out what is in the box. I emailed the seller and swore that I wouldn't tell anyone if he told me. He agreed and informed me that the box contains 3 jars of 1970's vintage Vaseline, which the high bidder will surely need.

www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    I kinda wonder if the sellers real name is P.T. Barnum Jr. A mystery box from a 90 year old who has no idea what's inside, but won't open it to find out. Yet he wants to sell the box "as is- no returns (meaning no complaints)" to the highest bidder. Says it belonged to his son who has passed away and it has never been opened since it was received from the mint. I wonder how he knows his son or someone else never opened the box?

This kind of listing could be a whole new business model. The possibilities are endless - kind of like auction loto.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    Well foks, whatever is in it, I sure hope it was worth $526.54 as thats what it hammered at !! I sent an email to the high bidder and hopefully I'll get a response. Better yet, I hope I'll get a truthful response since only the high bidder will know.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    8 months later. Do we have any answears?
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any answers, Lee?
  • Options
    I believe I asked the winner but received no reply. Otherwise I would have shared.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file