Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

I PERSONALLY CAN'T BELIEVE THAT A THREAD ABOUT MODERN CRAP STATE QUARTERS HAS OVER 600 POSTS.

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop "yelling" image

Wondercoin

P.S. Me neither. I would have personally liked to see the pop report corrected months ago and the state quarter variety set up and running (as we as the Kennedys addressed). One day.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    It may make it to a 1000 posts before the Pop Report is corrected and Registry Sets are back to the way they should be image
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598

<< <i>It may make it to a 1000 posts before the Pop Report is corrected and Registry Sets are back to the way they should be >>

Let's do the math ......... Twenty-five post per month times a minimum of forty-eight months equals ...... Yep it will make it to 1000 post before the Population Reports are corrected or the ORPHANS have a HOME!image
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    I'll say it for everyone else......Russ you have about 50,000 post talking about nothing important so why should 600 about one of the most popular series ever shock you?image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Russ you have about 50,000 post talking about nothing important >>

Don't you have some auctions to shill?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Russ just like old times. Now we're having fun. These damn message boards are boring with no one but PCGS to beat on!
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I hear ya Russ, I hear ya.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    With you Russ------image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>I'll say it for everyone else......Russ you have about 50,000 post talking about nothing important so why should 600 about one of the most popular series ever shock you?image >>

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    image It"s a sigh of the times ! I don't collect modern quarters, but I wished that I did, before they got expensive.
    I do collect morgans, but only the key dates. When any series becomes too expensive, they turn into short sets, and type coins.Morgans fall into that classification.
    Smart collectors are collecting the moderns as a series, and classic coins as type. The moderns have the most room to appreciate in value, and super nice examples are still available at reasonable prices, but not for long !!
  • Options
    CoppernicusCoppernicus Posts: 1,764
    While I rarely venture beyond Lincoln wheats, I do have a complete set (to date) of the silver state quarters in PCGS PR69DCAM flag holders. I think the reverses are beautiful and at least the '99 set has gone way up in value. I look at this set as a nice piece of modern coinage, celebrating the best country on earth.

Modern, yes; "crap" no.

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    larrynjlarrynj Posts: 535
    can someone please summarize that 600 post thread? thanks/
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>can someone please summarize that 600 post thread? thanks/ >>

Collecting satin state quarters sucks.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>can someone please summarize that 600 post thread? thanks/ >>

Collecting satin state quarters sucks. >>

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    Starbucks takes state quarters, so everyone loves state quarters right?image
  • Options
    COINDOG,

"It"s a sigh of the times ! I don't collect modern quarters, but I wished that I did, before they got expensive.
    I do collect morgans, but only the key dates. When any series becomes too expensive, they turn into short sets, and type coins.Morgans fall into that classification.
    Smart collectors are collecting the moderns as a series, and classic coins as type. The moderns have the most room to appreciate in value, and super nice examples are still available at reasonable prices, but not for long !! "

That exactly what is going on right now but the establishment can't make it over their precast perceptions to see it.

IMHO,

Eric
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    datentype: "I'll say it for everyone else......Russ you have about 50,000 post talking about nothing important so why should 600 about one of the most popular series ever shock you? "

Hey datentype: You're not saying it for me, fella image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>COINDOG,

"It"s a sigh of the times ! I don't collect modern quarters, but I wished that I did, before they got expensive.
    Smart collectors are collecting the moderns as a series, and classic coins as type. The moderns have the most room to appreciate in value, and super nice examples are still available at reasonable prices, but not for long !! "

That exactly what is going on right now but the establishment can't make it over their precast perceptions to see it.

IMHO,

Eric >>

This seems to be changing a little. There are still a lot of assumptions by many that simply aren't
    true but I get the sense that many of the big guys are starting to buy up what they can in moderns.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a promotion before much longer and some hype. If it gets out of con-
    trol it would be wise to sell but don't expect to be able to find many raw coins when you want back in.

In the long run it doesn't much matter since the demand just keeps ratcheting higher. In the mean time
    just enjoy a great collectible that most continue to overlook.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    "Modern crap". What exactly is it? With 50,000 posts did you coin that phrase? image

Seriously. Will higher-grade low-pop modern coins (i.e., state quarters, etc.) not remain relatively low-pop? Will demand only diminish? Or is it simply personal preference. What exactly is it?
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>"Modern crap". What exactly is it? With 50,000 posts did you coin that phrase? image

Seriously. Will higher-grade low-pop modern coins (i.e., state quarters, etc.) simply not remain relatively low-pop? Will demand only diminish? What is it? >>

Its the free market, as I have been saying all along. If the prices get crazy the market will fill the need - and that is exactly what has always been occurring. Hence the value of many of the "modern crap" coins has increased. The market does not have the capability with many of these issues to satisfy demand, this results in price increases. With "common" coins in uncommon grades commanding big money, surely the market would produce more examples if it were possible. The fact is that it is not economically possible (technically perhaps - but who is going to pay $400 a set for 99 silver proofs to make 69 DCAMS?) to fill the demand and if it can't be done now what makes anyone think 25 years from now it will be any easier?

Since supply is limited the other factor is demand. If demand decreases, prices will stop appreciating until demand becomes negative and then prices will fall. Will that ever occur? Who knows? When?

This, as you may have well read, is basic econ 101 but for some reason some people just can't grasp it. They hold on to the notion that a 100 year old coin which has limited supply should have equal or greater demand, ignoring many of the reasons for demand because of pig headedness. Hmmm, lets see do I start a set for my kids or my great grandfather? Which one? Duh!

cheers,

brian
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "Collecting satin state quarters sucks."

ROFL!!!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    I do not know about modern crap, but with the difficulty of finding high grade state quarters I would call them
    tomorrows jewels. Only time will tell if I am right, but the current numbers seem to coincide.
  • Options
    Modern Crap is either everything issued after 1933 or anything issued after 1964 depending on the dealer or collector that does not like recent issues. Come to think about it all US coins are moderns when you think in terms of 2-3000 year old greek or roman coins.

Eric
  • Options
    "Collecting satin state quarters sucks"

What sucks is when you have collected ms67-9 business strike quarters, and then the mint changes the strike in middle of the most successful program in their history, and ms69 becomes the norm. To add to the fiasco, pcgs accepts these sf strikes in a business strike
    registry set and weights the coins the same. Yep, maybe at this point in time sf coins have the upper hand, but wait a few years and see what pays off, sf or bs struck coins. Then for sure people will find out that "Collecting satin state quarters sucks" if they don't have pop top
    examples to peddle.

Dammit Russ, if this thread gets only 675 or so more posts, it will be just like that other thread! image
  • Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546