Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My first Flowing Hair silver

Now before you guys start tearing into this one, let me explain that I like low-grade damaged early type coins. When they have dings, bends and much wear, that says to me they had a good long life as a coin, and had lots of adventures along the way. Plus I'll never be able to afford to finish my type set if I insist on higher grade problem-free coins.

Holes, scratches, it's all good for me as long as it's got a nice overall look. I've discovered there is a line I won't cross however: "tooled". brrr. Like that Spaghetti Hair dollar someone posted awhile back. image

Half Dime

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    we must share some point of views as i like the coin for affordability for a lower budget type buyer like me...nice date too in a 1795
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Not sure on the price but,COOL coin.

Congrats.image

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i like it and a fair price

great for an album type set and an uncommon early really historical coin
  • Options
    Any US coin dated 1795 deserves its right to continue to exist for history's sake alone.
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    Nice, I like..image

I'm still looking for my first flowing hair.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I like it too!

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool coin congratulations.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often time sit and wonder how many family meals a coin like that helped put on the table?

So much history wrapped up in a tiny little sliver of silver
  • Options
    slumlord98slumlord98 Posts: 1,180
    Your coin certainly has a story to tell! Congrats!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Release it from the plastic tomb! That will help it to continue its life and adventures as a coin, rather than as a museum piece.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Release it from the plastic tomb! That will help it to continue its life and adventures as a coin, rather than as a museum piece. >>

I agree. I like the coin. I prefer a bit higher grade, but don't have any problem buying a damaged coin. Great score.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin! No doubt about it. But being over 200 years old I think it deserves a nice plastic condo to retire in. imageimage

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    She's beautiful and has a lot of stories to tell. Crack it. Hold her in your hand just like someone in 1795 did. Her first time out she probably purchased a couple of loaves of warm bread or a pint of unfiltered, warm black beer brewed in the basement of a Philly pub. Circulated coins are little novels, the contents of which are bounded only by your own imagination. The older, the more beat up, the better.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it a lot too. I am a bit surprised NCS called that VG details as the obverse (and, somewhat the reverse) rims are worn into the portrait with very little if any star detail remaining.

Neat coin but I wouldn't call it VG details.

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>I like it a lot too. I am a bit surprised NCS called that VG details as the obverse (and, somewhat the reverse) rims are worn into the portrait with very little if any star detail remaining.

Neat coin but I wouldn't call it VG details. >>

I agree. That's why I will probably leave it in the slab, at least for a while, even though I do generally love to crack em and hold em.
  • Options
    There's also a pretty easy method to unbend a bent coin. PM me if you want the details.

peacockcoins

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There's also a pretty easy method to unbend a bent coin. PM me if you want the details. >>

Are you talking about placing the coin between two pieces of wood and hitting with a hammer? Unbending this coin wouldn't help it any since the uneven wear pattern gives away the fact that is was bent at one time.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There's also a pretty easy method to unbend a bent coin. PM me if you want the details. >>

Are you talking about placing the coin between two pieces of wood and hitting with a hammer? Unbending this coin wouldn't help it any since the uneven wear pattern gives away the fact that is was bent at one time. >>

No, I'm not. That may work on larger coins such as silver dollars but fails miserably on small coins such as this half disme.

A 'fixed' bent coin isn't meant to fool as you're right, the wear pattern is the tell. It doesn't mean the coin, if raw, needs to remain bent for display/album purposes.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i><< I like it a lot too. I am a bit surprised NCS called that VG details as the obverse (and, somewhat the reverse) rims are worn into the portrait with very little if any star detail remaining.

Neat coin but I wouldn't call it VG details. >> >>

Because of the bend it is difficult to truely say what detail level it has. Instead of having the wear evenly distributed over the surface of the coin the bend causes it to all be concentrated in a few areas while other areas are almost completely protected from wear. You can't just go by the standard mearsurment of rims worn into letters = AG. (Think about this. If I took a MS quarter and used a dremel to grind the rim down into the letters in a few places would you say it has AG details?)
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    braddick---You have made me very curious. What's the best way to unbend a coin such as this?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHall PM to be sent...

Conder101: Yes, I would. I look at the coin. I don't care how it got the wear it did. If the stars are worn off the obverse and the reverse lettering is worn into the rim I don't call the coin VG details even if there is a logical and sound reason (such as the coin being bent) why it is worn the way it is.

I also look at the overall wear of the coin and VG simply does not pop into my head for this one.

peacockcoins

• Options
    NewbNewb Posts: 1,401

<< <i>She's beautiful and has a lot of stories to tell. Crack it. Hold her in your hand just like someone in 1795 did. Her first time out she probably purchased a couple of loaves of warm bread or a pint of unfiltered, warm black beer brewed in the basement of a Philly pub. Circulated coins are little novels, the contents of which are bounded only by your own imagination. The older, the more beat up, the better.

Mojo >>

Well put, Mojo. I tried to say the same thing here but you did a nicer job!
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was watching that one on ebay last week. I didn't have the funds to bid on it though.image but did pick up a new coin.image. Anyway, Cool early coin. I hope to own one in the similiar grade range.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file