Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1972 P Ike..... What would you grade it?

ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
This came with a collection I bought today and did not even dawn on me that it was a nice coin. I was focusing more on the earlier coins and did not pay a premium for it. What would you grade this? I think it is the type 3. Thanks for looking. -Dan

Comments

• Options
    ar18ar18 Posts: 1,122
    63-64
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    64, maybe 64. The fields look nice but the face scratches and the bigger hit by America hurt it.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Nice toning. Looks 63 to me.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options

MS 63
  • Options
    I like that Ike but my grading skills suck---Tom
    Support your local gunslinger, you never know when you'll need him
  • Options
    Thanks Touchdown! It is funny you should say so, because it was in a framed picture with other coins for 20th century type coins and all of the silver is monster toned. I bet the person framed it in the early seventies. -Dan
  • Options
    pcpropcpro Posts: 139 ✭✭
    MS-64, shot 65

PC
    An enthusiastic fan of Kennedy Halves for over 20 years. Always looking for great coins!! Email: wpflack@comcast.net
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    my say on it goes that those hits on the wings rev and hits on date and cheek and top rim ding...a lucky 62
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    63, too many hits on the cheek for any higher grade.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    au-63
  • Options
    Thanks for the imput.Dan
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    With just a little experience I'd say 64 - 65. 1972's are very difficult to find in good shape as planchet preparation was simply terrible! Your coin appears to have some good luster and some great toning so that buys a little on the overall presentation side!

Definitely a T3 coin.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Type 3

Nice toning!

MS64 with a shot at MS65....Only because this is a VERY detailed photo. There are no really big hits, they just look big given the size of the photo....I like it!

The little dirt speck on his temple should be gently removed.
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>au-63 >>

You want an AU-63 Ike? Here's an AU-63 Ike (actually graded PCGS AU-58):

imageimage
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    PCGS MS64

NGC MS65
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    64 tops. Lots of marks in the planchet that were not struck out.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    NICE! Easy 64...image Nice toning to boot!

Brian

I LOVE image TALON HEADS, PEG LEGS AND ERROR IKES! image
  • Options
    Listen to Gandyjai and DRG. People who say 63 overjudge the marks from the blown up image. The obverse could go ms65 in my opinion but the larger right reverse mark probably will keep it 64.
  • Options
    Really nice Ike! Heck with the grade, I love the sharp strike on both sides and the semi-proof-like quality to say nothing of gorgeous toning for an Ike. The Philly mint pushed these dies so hard most '72's are nothing to write home about. This one is. Agree with Brian, PCGS 64, NGC 65. Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Type 3, MS63. the fields seem to be the real grade limiter on this series and this coin has clean fields, but the flaws are just to glaringly distracting IMHO, on both sides of the coin. a sidenote to those who perceive the marks as contacts-----they are almost certainly unstruck planchet flaws, a common problem on Ike Dollars, Jefferson Nickels and Cu/Ni clad coinage.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file