Home U.S. Coin Forum

I hope I won this...........1882-O/S on Teletrade

OneyOney Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
I think I am right with this coin. It appears to be an 1882-O/S. What are your thoughts? Am I right? Grade?

Brian

Comments

• BIGDAVEBIGDAVE Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
    I was the one bidding I had my eye on it for a week i bid $350 on the last bid
  • OneyOney Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
    Which VAM do you think it is? I thought VAM4.
    Brian
    I thought vam 3
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you're right. An 82-O/S in 64 would be a King Kamehameha You Suck™ score.

I blew it up using the DjVu viewer, though, and I didn't see signs of die polishing lines or gouges in the ear, and didn't see any pitting on the obverse. The VAM 3 and VAM 5 have gouges in the ear that are strong enough to see even with the somewhat blurry picture. The VAM 4 has lighter lines in the ear, but major skin tags on Liberty's face, especially by the eye. I'm not sure if they could be hidden in the photo, but I couldn't see them, either.
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Nope. I got it. You buggers made me pay more than common money.

There were a few nice VAMs in this one, got the ones I was chasing except the 80-O VAM-6A that got too high IMO. A shame they yanked the 87/6 a couple auctions back.

BTW, it looked like a VAM-4 to me. The 1 looked a little thick though. We'll see when it arrives.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
    Da^*%&^%&%
    Brian
  • RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Vam-4 Recessed.
    I got the 82 o/o vam 7 on monday i got out bid on the 80-o vam 6 a tonght and the 82o Well Congratulations on a Major scoreimage
    Got the two 04-O 22A ones (R-6) and a neat 87-P with a gouge out of the tail feathers too.

Monday I wanted that 7/6 but they yanked it and ended up with just a 86-P with a cool rev gouge. Cleaned up on Sunday.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
    Well, the coin arrived. It is quite interesting but I am still determining if it is as interesting as the price. The O mint mark appears to have traces of an underlying S, like the recessed VAM-4, but has a lot of deliberate vertical polishing lines in the center of the O. There may be other O/S that were better cleaned up for production in New Orleans than VAMs 3-5. The dies are not pitted as was common on the others. The are vertical polish lines inside the ear, a few extending down below the lobe. The scanner is crap in capturing both features and the macro on my digital camera cannot focus well on details. I am just about to run over to Circuit City and just get a Canon or Nikon in this recurring frustration. I'll attach a scan pic, taken at 4800dpi but still lousy as heck.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • RVDavisRVDavis Posts: 1,137
    Darned computers, eh? Can't tell anything. Good luck.
    Proud recipient of YOU SUCK more than once and less than 100 times.
  • John,
    Sounds cool. Hope it works out as a new one. Any pitting like on the other O/S coins?
    Rob
    Rob Joyce - Dollar Variety / VAM Collector
    http://www.vamworld.com
    and
    http://www.rjrc.com
    No pitting like the others. I am trying to figure out exactly what I see. Like I said, I may just take this as the reason I need a good Canon or Nikon 6Mp digicam and go get one tonight or tomorrow. Then I'll decide if it is a TT return or a Leroy ship.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
    Man, I would swear the diagonal was more prevalent on the Teletrade image......
    Brian
  • moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
    Here's one I bought from Heritage thinking it was a 0/S. It turned out not to be. Good luck with the one you won.

• << <i>Well, the coin arrived. It is quite interesting but I am still determining if it is as interesting as the price. The O mint mark appears to have traces of an underlying S, like the recessed VAM-4, but has a lot of deliberate vertical polishing lines in the center of the O. There may be other O/S that were better cleaned up for production in New Orleans than VAMs 3-5. The dies are not pitted as was common on the others. The are vertical polish lines inside the ear, a few extending down below the lobe. The scanner is crap in capturing both features and the macro on my digital camera cannot focus well on details. I am just about to run over to Circuit City and just get a Canon or Nikon in this recurring frustration. I'll attach a scan pic, taken at 4800dpi but still lousy as heck.
    image >>

TO parphrase Lloyd Bentesn...I have an O/S....sir, I know O/Ss....this ain't no O/S!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file