Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Ink marking on taler

I believe there was recently a forum topic about indian ink in the last few weeks (if I have the terminology correct). Is this an example on this Fulda taler - reverse at 2:00? Perhaps an auction number? Can it be removed, or would this be considered graffiti?
Brent

Comments

• AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    If it's ink, I believe it can be removed, but I don't know the proper method for that.

Are you sure it's just inked? Kinda looks "etched" to me.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    It is probably "India" ink. Many museums and collectors marked their coins in this manner. Helps with provenance but the slabbers treat it as grafitti.

You could try the acetone bath method in an atempt to remove the marking but you might end up with "negative" toning, i.e. the 1518 would be white instead of black due to the overall toning of the coin.

Using a product such as MS70 might work but then the coin would look too bright i.e. lose some of the underlying grey color.

I wonder what an olive oil soak would do?

Note: I have not tried to remove such markings. Has anyone tried? Success or failure? Got pix?

edit to add:

BTW, nice looking taler!
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the thoughts. My initial impression was that it was india ink, but I cant be certain. The pic is straight from the dealer's website, so I do not have it in hand to examine. I think I will pass on this one.....it was too good to be true.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I look at things like this just a little different. I consider the marking historic, they would date to the 1800s in most cases. In my view removing a museum mark would be like having an ancient coin in a box that dates to the 1700s and throwing the box away.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I concur with the Dead One. I consider this "grafitti" historic and very desirable, in fact. The markings contribute to the authenticity of the coin, and I would definitely not remove them.

Very cool Thaler too!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I guess I'm the odd one out. I consider it to be defacing the coin. I shudder every time I see it, especially when it's been engraved into the surface of the coin.

*bleagh*
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I have several tokens with ink markings, they do not bother me on old items.

My favorite - Middlesex Spence DH 749 "One only master grasps the whole domain" and Spence's very popular Shepard image.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would keep it if it's not affecting the surface of the coin.

2Kopeiki.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Mine is an inexpensive coin, so I really don't mind it, I kept it as a novelty and for historic reasons. Besides, it's almost invisible in hand.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3