Home U.S. Coin Forum

Introduction

Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
Since, I've started posting here, I might as well give a brief introduction.

I've been collecting errors for almost 20 years now, about 2/3rds of my life. I especially like indents, brockages, and struck through errors, because to me these are the most "striking" of errors.

I started collecting half cents by variety back in 1993, and joined EAC at the time. I had recently read Sheldon's Early American Cents (the 1949 book), but finding large cents too expensive for me at the time, I decided to go with the half cents (business strikes only). I presently have around 60 varieties. The Braided Hairs are complete, and I have only one variety left among the Classic Heads. The Draped Bust and assorted Liberty Cap types need a way to go.

Most recently (late 2004) I also started collecting Assay Commission medals. I had been interested in these since reading old Bowers and Merena auction catalogs (especially Dreyfuss and Fred/Ward), but for a while (namely until I had year-round jobs) these were not very affordable to me, especially with the above two interests. In December 2004, I bought an 1870 bronze medal merely as an interesting piece of exonumia. However, the medal hypnotized me, and so since then I've added four more medals to my collection (1868 Al, 1899 Ag, 1901 Ag, 1974 Pewter).

In addition to these collections, I also have been obtaining from time to time pieces of exonumia that I've found interesting; most recently was an 1869 John Bolen store card (of struck copy fame), pedigreed to the John Ford and FCC Boyd collections. Second I've added some colonial coins, something of a type set but there's no fixed goal there, just an interesting variety or two from most states. I also have more numismatic literature than someone who has moved 2000 miles in the last year would like to have.

I also post regularly to rec.collecting.coins, and have done so since 1995. I've read these forums regularly for at least two years, and also the NGC forums, but haven't bothered signing up to post there. I am vigorously anti-slab, don't like numerical grading, and think the Wisconson extra leaf quarters are the result of die gouges.

In real life I am a chemistry post-doc in southern California. Before that I was a grad student at the University of Chicago, and am originally from Maryland.
--

Ed. S.

(EJS)

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums. May your participation be pleasant, enlightening, and fulfilling.

Russ, NCNE
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Welcome, and beware of the carnivore!image

Have a Great Day!
    Louis
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wilkommen. May your presence here enlighten and be enlightening. I enjoy error collecting as well. Love those rotated reverses, partial collars, laminations and strike through on Morgan Dollars.

Love those early Assay Commission medals too! My PR-63 1876 is one of my prized pieces.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Welcome!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image to the madness. May your journey be a happy oneimage
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>I started collecting half cents by variety back in 1993, and joined EAC at the time. I had recently read Sheldon's Early American Cents (the 1949 book), but finding large cents too expensive for me at the time, I decided to go with the half cents (business strikes only). I presently have around 60 varieties. The Braided Hairs are complete, and I have only one variety left among the Classic Heads. The Draped Bust and assorted Liberty Cap types need a way to go. >>

<< <i>I am vigorously anti-slab, don't like numerical grading, and think the Wisconson extra leaf quarters are the result of die gouges >>

Welcome! I think I'm going to like you! Loves copper and hates slabs, got to be a good man. image
  • RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    Welcome aboard
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
    ---Larry---

More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits." - John Nelson.
  • carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Welcome aboard. Always glad to have another chem person around. I taught a few semesters of it here.
    Why don't you get back to the Windy City here where you could be appreciated?
    Carl
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Support your local gunslinger, you never know when you'll need him

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file