Home Sports Talk
Options

Did you know?

WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
If Thome leads the AL in homers this year he will become the 3rd player to lead both the NL and the AL in roundtrippers. (since 1901)

Of course McGwire did it.

My research showed that Fred McGriff also did it.

I found it intriguing that it has been done only by these two guys.

Steve
Good for you.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an interesting stat and speaking of crime dog he is one guy that I have overlooked in conversation about great hitters.

Thome has got to be considered a canditate for comeback player of the year, he certainly is on pace to post some great #'s this year and would not suprise me to see him accomplish that feat.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    McGriff is what, 6 home runs shy of 500?

Gotta suck to be so close and not be able to get another chance with another team to get to 500, as that just about guarantees HoF entry, I don't know he gets in without getting 500.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If Thome leads the AL in homers this year he will become the 3rd player to lead both the NL and the AL in roundtrippers. (since 1901)

Of course McGwire did it.

My research showed that Fred McGriff also did it.

I found it intriguing that it has been done only by these two guys.

Steve >>

That is interesting. I would have guessed that Frank Robinson might have done it. But I just checked his stats and he did not.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is interesting. I would have guessed that Frank Robinson might have done it. But I just checked his stats and he did not. >>

I thought Robinson had done it, too, as well as Dick Allen. It's a good day when you learn something.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That is interesting. I would have guessed that Frank Robinson might have done it. But I just checked his stats and he did not. >>

I thought Robinson had done it, too, as well as Dick Allen. It's a good day when you learn something. >>

http://www.baseball-reference.com/a/allendi01.shtml

Interesting stat I just saw about Dick Allen. Most of his career was spent in the NL. Yet he never led the NL in homers. He only spent four years in the AL, yet lead the AL in homers twice.

Allen in my opinion had the sweetest bat swing I've ever seen to this day.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>McGriff is what, 6 home runs shy of 500?

Gotta suck to be so close and not be able to get another chance with another team to get to 500, as that just about guarantees HoF entry, I don't know he gets in without getting 500. >>

I'm not so sure he gets in with 500 either. His career just seems anonymous to me, I don't ever recall a time when he was a dominating player worthy of a HOF mention. A good player, no doubt about it - but even with the 500 HR he won't be getting, I'd say he doesn't qualify for the HOF.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I dont think McGriff gets in with 500 either. That number is no longer any indication of who will or wont make it IMO.

Frank Robinson won the MVP in both leagues, maybe thats where the mistake in thinking was regarding him.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Mad dog needed 7 homers. He was stuck on 493.

as for the HOF debate, not goin there. The writers will decide that issue.

Steve
    Good for you.