Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade opinions please....1899-O Morgan Grade revealed

tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
Just got an 1899-O Morgan......your opinions please. Thanks, Tom

Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.

Comments

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    From the pics, MS66.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    65+ From pic..strike looks pretty weak on Rev. even for an O mint.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a great coin. Very solid 65, shot at 66. If this coin doesn't make 66, it will be because of the weakness in the eagle's breast, IMO.
  • Options
    RVDavisRVDavis Posts: 1,137
    If the mark under 'E' on the obverse is on the coin, it would probably not make 65. A really attractive coin otherwise in my opinion.
    Proud recipient of YOU SUCK more than once and less than 100 times.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the mark under 'E' on the obverse is on the coin, it would probably not make 65. A really attractive coin otherwise in my opinion. >>

I saw that and considered it, but I don't think it's as much of a detraction from the grade as it could be. For one thing, it's close enough to the lettering that it's not as detrimental as if it were a hit in the middle of the field or on the cheek. For another, the '99-O is a very common coin in high grades and thus the TPGs would be less likely to go out of their way to find reasons to knock it down like they would, say, a '96-O or '97-O.
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Looks 66...hmmm gotta be concerned with the strike though.

How are those breast feathers??
  • Options
    Hint....she is already graded.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6 PL.?..Nice looking coin.
    Al
  • Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666
    65...might go 66
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65PL
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    Wow, well I am kind of psyched.....I paid somewhere between 64 and 65 $$$ for her.....its in an Anacs 64 Holder...older holder at that, not sure of the year. the Obv scratch is on the coin. The breast feathers are not full. Its very clean and I am tempted to cross her, but in the past few years I have boycotted spending money on regrading coins.....would rather buy more coins.

Thanks all.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    It looks quite a bit better than a 64. Newer collectors probably don't appreciate that ANACS was pretty conservative in the past and was debatably quite consistent. Naturally, the most conservatively graded have largely crossed to NGC and PCGS for obvious valuation reasons and now for registry inclusion as well. I love the running across an old ANACS slab with a PQ coin rather than the residue after the good stuff has been cracked and/or crossed.

And the one you have there isn't terribly old either.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    RVDavisRVDavis Posts: 1,137
    I am pleased for you , that is a gorgeous coin. With my world-renowned inability to grade, I am psyched that I got this one right. Indeed a rare event for me and I must say, that is one of the nicer 64's I have seen.
    Proud recipient of YOU SUCK more than once and less than 100 times.
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    You might look closely at all angles to see if there's an album slide mark or thin hailine that's not obvious. Unless you see one, the coin looks to be a solid gem, and the strike is normal for that date/mm.image
    morgannut2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file