Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is a die clash considered a variety?

BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
I have found that there are a considerable amount of 1909-S Half Eagles where you can see the outline of the reverse eagles wing and shoulder on the neck of the Indian on the obverse. I have not seen any clashes like this on other Indian Half Eagles. It seems to appear on about 1/3 of the 1909-S Half Eagles that I have seen.

Would this die clash be considered a variety since it is common within one date and mint?

Is this something that would make this coin or another coin with a clash more valuable?

Why is it common on this date and mint but not others? it may be on others but not enough pick them out at every third auction.

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    A die clash is a mint error.

In the strict sense, that is. I'm sure because of the popularity of VAMs and the like that it will be called a variety if enough people like it.
  • IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    “Errors” – if we understand the word according to regular usage – account for all kinds of varieties, e.g., repunched dates, doubled dies, and misplaced dates. These errors that occur during the die preparation process are reflected on all coins struck with that die. A die clash, in comparison, occurs during the striking of the coin. Only coins struck with that particular die after the clash will show the damage. For this reason, I tend to think of clashes as a die stage, not a die variety, even though both are the result of an “error.” The same holds true for coins that are struck with dies that are polished to remove damage, like the 3-leggers.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen several 1913 Indian $5's with this same die clash. Also, many VAM's are die clash varieties so apparently many Morgan dollar collectors consider die clashes to be varieties. While they are very interesting, they have no value added in the market place.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Die clashes are not varieties because they can come and go. New die, clashed die, clash wears off, clashes again, clash is polished off, clashes again, second set of clashes, third set of clashes, first clash wears off etc. Would you call each of these a different variety, or just different stages of the same variety as the die goes through it's life?
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to think of clashes as a die stage, not a die variety...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file